Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time wasting last night

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the odd few who are yet to swoon to the floor, to time wasting I'd also like to add:-

We do surround the ref.
We are in the refs face.
We do try to influence the ref.

Take the rose tints off.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Our time wasting away is one reason I rarely say anything about teams at the Amex. There did seem to be a few more players going down at B'Muff but credit also to the ref in not stopping the game for minor knocks.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
For the odd few who are yet to swoon to the floor, to time wasting I'd also like to add:-

We do surround the ref.
We are in the refs face.

Take the rose tints off.
I can say this as someone who doesn't have that much of an issue with any of the above when other teams do this (although I draw the line at ref abuse), but I always thought we used to be FAR to meek when it came to influencing the referee. You always see opposition players always talking to the ref and it always frustrated me that we never really did.

In the last couple of years, we've become a lot more gamesmanship-y and, in particular, Dunk, Lallana, Mac Allister, Veltman, Gross are extremely vocal with refs but I don't think that (or many opposition players) have crossed the line. As I say though, as long as you stray into verbal or physical abuse I don't have much of an issue with any of the above.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bournemouth having a go about time wasting?! Anyone who saw the game at our place will know that’s incredibly hypocritical. They took the piss from the 1st minute playing for a 0-0 draw, & unluckily for them conceded in the last minutes. So basically, f*** em!!
Exactly.

Part of the pantomime of football is our lot are "the good guys" and the others are the bad guys. Our boys are as honest as the day is long, whilst the opposition are cheating wankers.

Fans of very club are largely the same in this regard. Yes, there are some extreme cases when it comes to time wasting, and we all think we're not in that group, but from the Bournemouth site...

"And of course the 'Game Mgmt'. 2nd half was basically totally destroyed by it. I was astonished to check time remaining and it was 80 minutes... felt more like 10 minutes into the half, as there seemed to be no passage of play that last a minute, without an 'injury', ill gotten freekicks from going down easily, gk and others time wasting constantly. I've got to hand it to them, it was incredible, never seen it executed to such an extreme."​
...written by a football supporter who just happens to have been born a few miles down the coast. Posts like that have been commonplace on here about other sides at times.

Is the Bournemouth fan making it up? Are our fans making it up? No - we're just very partisan - again one of the beauties of the game we all love.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I think there was a bit of misconception due to our stile of play. Basically the 'fannying around at the back' to try and get their forwards to engage can look like time-wasting to those who aren't used to it. And once the crowd were making a fuss about it, the ref was influenced.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Exactly.

Part of the pantomime of football is our lot are "the good guys" and the others are the bad guys. Our boys are as honest as the day is long, whilst the opposition are cheating wankers.

Fans of very club are largely the same in this regard. Yes, there are some extreme cases when it comes to time wasting, and we all think we're not in that group, but from the Bournemouth site...

"And of course the 'Game Mgmt'. 2nd half was basically totally destroyed by it. I was astonished to check time remaining and it was 80 minutes... felt more like 10 minutes into the half, as there seemed to be no passage of play that last a minute, without an 'injury', ill gotten freekicks from going down easily, gk and others time wasting constantly. I've got to hand it to them, it was incredible, never seen it executed to such an extreme."​
...written by a football supporter who just happens to have been born a few miles down the coast. Posts like that have been commonplace on here about other sides at times.

Is the Bournemouth fan making it up? Are our fans making it up? No - we're just very partisan - again one of the beauties of the game we all love.
I think most understand that it’s all just pantomime. I have enthusiastically taken part many a time but then let it drop because, as you say, but for an accident of birthplace I could be in the opposite end saying something very different.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think there was a bit of misconception due to our stile of play. Basically the 'fannying around at the back' to try and get their forwards to engage can look like time-wasting to those who aren't used to it. And once the crowd were making a fuss about it, the ref was influenced.
That’s not what the Bournemouth fans were complaining about. They had very specific complaints about ‘convenient’ injuries and the like.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I don't like it and don't understand why anyone would enjoy timewasting at the expense of watching actual football being played.
As we've seen already, supporters are paying more to watch actual (ball in play) football per minute than previously and it's getting more expensive. Minutes of time wasting are minutes not spent playing football.
It's becoming more accepted as part of football unfortunately.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I bit my tongue on some recent threads on this because our players will use "game management" just like everyone else when the need arises.

We're not saints.
I really don’t agree, we are nothing like Villa, Fulham or actually Bournemouth. The worst we do is taking too much time on goal kicks, which actually was similar to Bournemouth who were chasing the game. The ref booked Steele, and he then got on with it about 2-3 secs quicker.

I still haven’t seen us go down faking a head injury to stop a team breaking.

We do it but nothing like the levels of the majority of teams.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

We do surround the ref.
We are in the refs face.

Take the rose tints off.
Nothing like enough re the refs…. Lallana is excellent at it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Exactly this.

I didn’t bite my tongue and said this after the Fulham game and got lambasted for it!

Every single team does it.
They do, but some more than others….

The ball was in play for 42 mins vs Villa, I’d be interested to know what last night.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
On the night we didn't look that much better. In my opinion it was an off night, but we showed good resolve to get it over the line.

We've played a lot, LOT better than we did last night, and lost or drawn the game.
I’d share this view. I felt we gave the ball away a lot more cheaply last night which put us under pressure at times. Until we got the second, I had a horrible feeling we would concede an equaliser at some point. We’ve definitely played better and not won but a massive 3 points that’s for sure

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly.

So, I'm going to counter this argument of 'we all do it' and it's 'partisan' with some alternative thoughts.

We are a high possession team. We had 63% possession through the game, we committed less fouls, we won more throws and such. It's hard to rush to take every throw and set piece when you have over 60% of the ball. We were every much going for a 2nd goal as they were an equaliser. We bought on attacking subs. We weren't shutting the game down.

When Brentford time wasted on Saturday, they had 28% possession all game, I suspect that was sub 20% at times in the second half. They didn't win a corner, so every chance they got they time wasted because they simply didn't have much of the ball. Aston Villa were the same, 35% possession but huge amount of time wasting because they don't have the ball.

That Bournemouth fan is seeing his side have little of the ball. Steele is entitled to put his foot on it and wait when it's actually in open play, it's down to Bournemouth to close him down.

I would say we didn't rush, but in terms of the dark arts like we've seen from Villa and Brentford, we are no where near. High possession and controlling the game isn't time wasting. Having more throws, goal kicks etc. isn't time wasting. The fact we went all out to get a second goal speaks for itself.

I'd conclude the Bournemouth fan is an idiot rather than we're all partisan when trying to be objective.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Steele was waiting for Dunk to finish tying his laces, which the ref should have been aware of.
The ref was also clearly chatting to the assistants or VAR at that point. To an extent, we appeared to be waiting for him to get the game going again.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
I seem to recall our player of season last season would roll around on pitch three times whenever anyone had their hand within 1cm of his hair ... was doing it last night too up at the Bridge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here