Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time wasting last night

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
There's time wasting / 'game management' etc. and there is taking the piss, and there is a fine line between the two.

IMO we are on the game management side of the line, most of the time, but not always. I didn't think we strayed far yesterday, Steele did get booked, but nothing particularly poor IMO.

That Fulham performance was a full on taking the piss for 90-minutes, we've never sunk anywhere near as low as that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's time wasting / 'game management' etc. and there is taking the piss, and there is a fine line between the two.
Broadly the difference is this...

Opposition does it: outrageous time-wasting and the ref needs to get a grip.
We do it: shrewd game management, well done chaps.

And most fans of most clubs are exactly the same.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I don't think it's as black and white as that. I can specifically recall the Fulham performance, other times its frustrating at the time, but forgotten about soon after. That was a different level.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
If anything I was surprised we didn't indulge in more "game management" last night. At times I just wanted us to keep the ball and/or slow things down, but (a) Bournemouth were pressing us too much to allow that and (b) I don't think it's in our DNA to stop attacking.

I think the players were professional and efficient but I genuinely can't see how Bournemouth have a case against us for time wasting.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I'd agree but I'd also say that there is a difference between slowing things down/not hurrying and time wasting. I didn't think we were particularly bad yesterday but we definitely weren't trying to rush things when we were one up.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I disliked our players rolling around in agony and getting up absolutely fine a few moments later. Much the same as I dislike it when the opposition do it. Exceptions given to Caicedo and Mac who took kickings and ended up being subbed off.

I find it absolutely incredible that Steele got booked for time wasting on 60 minutes when Martinez did it for 80+ (I think) before getting carded. Equally, to be wasting time at 60 minutes was a pretty poor decision from Steele.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I bit my tongue on some recent threads on this because our players will use "game management" just like everyone else when the need arises.

We're not saints.
I dare say they'd time waste too if they ever actually had a lead to protect. :lolol:

I've also tried to bite my tongue with all the sanctimony around other teams time wasting. Admittedly one or two teams take it way too far(Villa:bigwave:) but we, along with every team in world football, do it too. It's part of the game, always has been and always will be.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Bournemouth having a go about time wasting?! Anyone who saw the game at our place will know that’s incredibly hypocritical. They took the piss from the 1st minute playing for a 0-0 draw, & unluckily for them conceded in the last minutes. So basically, f*** em!!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Although I wasn't happy about it at the time, good on the ref for booking Steele early (although the inconsistency in when refs do and don't deal with it is maddening). I don't like it when others do it and I don't like it when we do it. Apart from anything else I felt it got their fans more up for it and upped the pressure on us a bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here