Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time wasting last night

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I bit my tongue on some recent threads on this because our players will use "game management" just like everyone else when the need arises.

We're not saints.
No, they are in the bottom 3.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am not interested in time wasting.

What I dislike is shitty negative sides disrupting our flow by going down off the ball with mystery injuries. Then catching us off guard and fluking a goal.

I have said before, I would run a coaching session with 11 against 11, in a 'proper' game, but with random interruptions for no reason. I would then bollock any player who loses his f***ing Focus.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is now part of our coaching regime anyway.

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We were sodding about with goal kicks Steele holding the ball then. Lobbing it to dunk just to then kick it to Steele. Call it what you want but we did it 6 or 7 times last night. The ref dealt with it.

Tbh a couple of their best chances came from our goal kicks last night.

The difference for me is we weren’t going down and pretending to be injured like Villa, Fulham and Brentford. Forcing the game to be stopped and completely breaking up play.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, I'm going to counter this argument of 'we all do it' and it's 'partisan' with some alternative thoughts.

We are a high possession team. We had 63% possession through the game, we committed less fouls, we won more throws and such. It's hard to rush to take every throw and set piece when you have over 60% of the ball. We were every much going for a 2nd goal as they were an equaliser. We bought on attacking subs. We weren't shutting the game down.

When Brentford time wasted on Saturday, they had 28% possession all game, I suspect that was sub 20% at times in the second half. They didn't win a corner, so every chance they got they time wasted because they simply didn't have much of the ball. Aston Villa were the same, 35% possession but huge amount of time wasting because they don't have the ball.

That Bournemouth fan is seeing his side have little of the ball. Steele is entitled to put his foot on it and wait when it's actually in open play, it's down to Bournemouth to close him down.

I would say we didn't rush, but in terms of the dark arts like we've seen from Villa and Brentford, we are no where near. High possession and controlling the game isn't time wasting. Having more throws, goal kicks etc. isn't time wasting. The fact we went all out to get a second goal speaks for itself.

I'd conclude the Bournemouth fan is an idiot rather than we're all partisan when trying to be objective.
Multiple opposition fans last night commented on our time-wasting. The commentator on my stream commented on our time-wasting. The referee booked our goalkeeper for time-wasting. I could see with my own eye that we were time-wasting.

Are we all idiots and wrong?

We'd be utterly stupid not to attempt to manage the game to suit ourselves and give us the best chance of winning. Any Albion fan who thinks that experienced top-level and international players playing for us in the world's foremost competition would not engage in "game management" as and when required would be stupid.

I'll say again, I'm not suggesting that we are as bad as some of the worst exponents we have seen at the Amex, but I'll also not suggest that we do what we feel we ned to, as we did last night.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We’re nowhere near as bad as most teams I’ve see . There’s game management then plain cheating. I remember the season we went up and the one before, teams were constantly coming to the Amex and wasting time from the off - playing for a point. We’ve become that good in the premier league now, teams are coming down and doing the same thing again! Madness!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Multiple opposition fans last night commented on our time-wasting. The commentator on my stream commented on our time-wasting. The referee booked our goalkeeper for time-wasting. I could see with my own eye that we were time-wasting.

We'd be utterly stupid not to attempt to manage the game to suit ourselves and give us the best chance of winning. Any Albion fan who thinks that experienced top-level and international players playing for us in the world's foremost competition would not engage in "game management" as and when required would be stupid.

I'll say again, I'm not suggesting that we are as bad as some of the worst exponents we have seen at the Amex, but I'll also not suggest that we do what we feel we ned to, as we did last night.
No, the Bournemouth fan was saying it was the worse they’d seen etc. clearly you and others aren’t saying that, so I’m not saying that’s idiotic.

But I find it hard to back up time wasting accusation to the team that had:
Much more possession
More shots
Almost double the passes
More time in the attacking third

My commentary was in South Korean I think so no idea if they were commenting on time wasting or not.:lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No, the Bournemouth fan was saying it was the worse they’d seen etc. clearly you and others aren’t saying that, so I’m not saying that’s idiotic.

Much more possession
More shots
Almost double the passes

My commentary was in South Korean I think so no idea if they were commenting on time wasting or not.:lolol:
I have no idea what the Bournemouth fan has previously seen, so I have no idea if it was the worst or not.

It probably wasn't, but that's recency bias for you.

We can all talk about Fulham and Villa quite clearly, because they happened recently. Were they the worst we've ever seen? Were there worse offenders back in the Championship? I've no idea.

Glenn Murray was the co-commentator on my stream - someone very much "on our side" and he commented on at least one occasion how easily we were going down. And we were.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Funny reading other than forums. Lots of negativity. I thought Bournemouth looked pretty decent. Flooded their own half with bodies to make it difficult for us but broke forward and looked dangerous. We were quite poor and a more confident team would have punished us IMO

If we were in a relegation battle and put in their performance I'd feel quietly confident for our chances of staying up.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I have no idea what the Bournemouth fan has previously seen, so I have no idea if it was the worst or not.

We can all talk about Fulham and Villa quite clearly, because they happened recently. Were they the worst we've ever seen? Were there worse offenders back in the Championship? I've no idea.

Glenn Murray was the co-commentator on my stream - someone very much "on our side" and he commented on at least one occasion how easily we were going down. And we were.
We went down often and easily. Can’t stand it personally.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Funny reading other than forums. Lots of negativity. I thought Bournemouth looked pretty decent. Flooded their own half with bodies to make it difficult for us but broke forward and looked dangerous. We were quite poor and a more confident team would have punished us IMO

If we were in a relegation battle and put in their performance I'd feel quietly confident for our chances of staying up.
Agreed. From both recent games against them, I think they will be fine.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
I bit my tongue on some recent threads on this because our players will use "game management" just like everyone else when the need arises.

We're not saints.

Broadly the difference is this...

Opposition does it: outrageous time-wasting and the ref needs to get a grip.
We do it: shrewd game management, well done chaps.

And most fans of most clubs are exactly the same.

I don't disagree with your posts but there is one thing that ultimately takes the piss and IS something that nees to be addressed.

Steele gets booked for time wasting on the 60something minute... why does it take until the 90+ for Villa, Fulham and anyone else when they do it?

All teams are playing within the "rules" (not necessarily gamesmanship) but it is down to the officials to stamp out. I just question the officials when I've seen multiple teams do "the same" as us and get nothing for it until the game is almost over, when I feel that with us we get pulled up on it instantly.

Have we pissed off the Refs assoc this season?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't disagree with your posts but there is one thing that ultimately takes the piss and IS something that nees to be addressed.

Steele gets booked for time wasting on the 60something minute... why does it take until the 90+ for Villa, Fulham and anyone else when they do it?

All teams are playing within the "rules" (not necessarily gamesmanship) but it is down to the officials to stamp out. I just question the officials when I've seen multiple teams do "the same" as us and get nothing for it until the game is almost over, when I feel that with us we get pulled up on it instantly.

Have we pissed off the Refs assoc this season?
Said similar last night.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

2 of our players went off injured, not sure Mitoma did or not as well. They committed over twice the fouls we did, couple of theirs lucky to not get booked. Murray is always going to try to appear even handed especially with an ex-club.

As @sheebo said above, I’m not saying we weren’t slowing things down at times, but that is worlds away from the dark arts of deceiving and cheating to waste time in a game.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Yeah I think they will survive....just.

I'm obviously glad we're nowhere near it but the battle for survival looks exciting this year, very hard to call and I wouldn't be surprised if its still undecided for 6 or 7 teams in the last couple games. I'm hoping Saints win a couple soon to keep it interesting.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Interesting reading their comments - generally they seem much more negative than I would be….thought they played pretty well most of the game and could easily have been level at HT.
But on the time-wasting thing, Steele and Dunk were definitely taking the piss with the goal kick routine. Otherwise, I thought the ref let a lot of stuff go, and as a consequence I didn’t think we were going down too easily. Caicedo took some real hits. But maybe I had my blue and white specs on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Of course we waste time. All teams do. What we haven’t done yet, thankfully, is resort to players feigning injury off the ball or pretend to have head injuries to get play stopped. That’s something we’ve seen several times at The Amex.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Much more possession
More shots
Almost double the passes

None of this disproves the theory that we were practicing the dark arts aka time wasting when not in possession or when the game could be disrupted. The Bournemouth fan you mention was not the only one and whilst they all weren’t saying it was the worse they had ever seen, they were all saying it was bad.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
There’s going slowly when hacked up in the air or the ball goes out, and then there’s falling over literally every 5 seconds, clutching your own head/face because your hand touched the other player’s back.

Commentators seem to point out every match that RdZ missed out on Euro qualification by +1 or +2 goal difference one year in Italy whenever we’re ahead but still attacking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here