Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to let Duffy go?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
He might not be playing at the moment, but there will be games where we will need him - not just for injury cover, but also games that require more of a physical presence and a 'backs to the wall' occasion. He's only on the bench due to the style of play we have currently, but you need options and he gives us that.

Plus a ballbag load of experience which Burn and Webster are still learning so off the field he will probe valuable, as well as to the young 'uns (thought he isn't old himself).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wonder if we would do a deal with Leeds to swap Duffy for White from January as Shane seems to be out of the picture, although I dont think that he should be.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Couldn't make it up :fishing:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I wonder if we would do a deal with Leeds to swap Duffy for White from January as Shane seems to be out of the picture, although I dont think that he should be.

Swapping our player with our player? Back to the drawing board with that one

Or are you talking about loaning Duffy to Leeds? Err well we could do, but why Leeds? We don't owe them anything. They are only useful for us as they are prepared to develop our player.

Either way, I don't see what's in it for us

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A few people have asked, and according to this website, we can indeed activate a January release clause for Ben White.

http://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewt...utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#p750276

Beardy Gull, you have done that rarest of things on NSC. Provided some useful information. Of course this isn't club confirmation or anything, but is quite a strong indicator that there is a release clause. And it makes sense that there is one. As the loaning club we are in a position of power. we could loan him anywhere, so there is no reason not to insert one. You never know what might happen to make us need it.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
When Duffy came on against Aston Villa, it was obvious he doesnt fit the style of play that Potter wants. We only went long when he had the ball and he is not great with his feet.

I dont think we will see him leave in January but i wouldnt be suprised in the slightest if we went at the end of the season.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Webster is still raw at this level and prone to error. Yes, he can carry the ball forward well and suits ' the potter style ' better but Duffy is more experienced, more consistent and far more of a threat going forward for set pieces and better defensively in the air. I would bring Duffy back in a flash.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Indeed. But conversely - nor do we score our second...

We need Duffy’s defending and Webster’s attacking.

The solution?

A back 4 of Webster, Dunk, Duffy and Burn

Gains = Rampaging runs from full backs, strength and experience in the centre, probably a goal a game from set pieces
Losses = Two CB’s at full back could be got at, slightly less passing ability

Sorry Martin

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We need Duffy’s defending and Webster’s attacking.

The solution?

A back 4 of Webster, Dunk, Duffy and Burn

Gains = Rampaging runs from full backs, strength and experience in the centre, probably a goal a game from set pieces
Losses = Two CB’s at full back could be got at, slightly less passing ability

Sorry Martin

Montoya's own passing is utterly shocking.

Dreadful.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Pretty inevitable it happens in the summer IMO. Duffy quite simply isn’t good enough with the ball at his feet. Yep we might concede less goals from set pieces but Webster brings much much more to the side. We might as well let White have a season in the championship developing and then change in the summer. I’m not sure the value at this stage of calling Ben White back in Jan to sit on our bench for most of the time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wouldn't call being no 1 back up at worst "out of the picture'

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Pretty inevitable it happens in the summer IMO. Duffy quite simply isn’t good enough with the ball at his feet. Yep we might concede less goals from set pieces but Webster brings much much more to the side. We might as well let White have a season in the championship developing and then change in the summer. I’m not sure the value at this stage of calling Ben White back in Jan to sit on our bench for most of the time.

Duffy is better with the ball at his feet than you're making out. True he doesn't surge into the midfield like Webster, but you're painting him as some sort of donkey. He certainly isn't that

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Duffy is better with the ball at his feet than you're making out. True he doesn't surge into the midfield like Webster, but you're painting him as some sort of donkey. He certainly isn't that

He’s ok. Not a donkey but equally not PL level on that side of his game. He is an excellent, excellent defender so I certainly don’t think he’s a bad player at all. Just not suited to the way we want to play.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, not a donkey, but clearly Potter thinks that Webster, Dunk and Burn are better in a back three - and even when we go to a back four, he still prefers Webster, Dunk and Burn plus one other (which ain't Duffy). So regardless of how good or bad you or I think Duffy is, the fact is he is well down the pecking order now.
I don't suppose he's very happy with that, and I would guess that unless things change and he manages to get his place back and keep it he himself will want to move on to get some playing time. Quite possibly even then he will want to move anyway, with White likely to return from Leeds.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Why would we do a deal to obtain a player we can recall in January?
No he isn't
He isn't

You win the weekly prize* for most inaccurate and pointless post of the week

*There isn't one but there should be. Or should there? This post is useless without a poll. Fact.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Why would we do a deal to obtain a player we can recall in January?
No he isn't
He isn't

You win the weekly prize* for most inaccurate and pointless post of the week

*There isn't one but there should be. Or should there? This post is useless without a poll. Fact.

There is.

It is called the Ben’s Grandad Trophy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here