Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to let Duffy go?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Do we know about any such clauses for our other loanees? The latest list on the loanee thread would be enhanced by adding the earliest recall opportunities (suggest J=January, M=May, U=unknown).

I think the only ones where it was stated by Albion that we DO definitely have a recall clause were Andone and Kayal.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Only Dunk, Duffy, Bong, Stephens, March and Murray ( + Knockaert, Kayal ) are still with us from the promotion squad. A few of those could be gone next season.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Strange thread this, Duffy has been injured and out of favour yes. But we are one injury away from him being recalled. Also, why would you recall a youngster playing every minute of first team football, to have him sit on our bench for 6 months? Does absolutely nothing for White's potential, also value.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I love the bloke, done a lot for us but is it time for him to go? Journalists from up north are saying LUFC should really fear the loss of Ben White in January.

Shane isn't playing and he's only going to get more frustrated whilst getting older, decreasing his value. It's no secret that Potter prefers Dunk, Webster and Burn but if we were to recall Ben White in January it surely opens up Shane's path out. It actually makes a lot of sense, we could get £15m-£20m for Shane now. White is probably worth around £25m with his current performances (if we sell to Leeds (if they get promoted)) and if he can replicate that form in the Premier League he'll be worth double that by the summer.

I guess we could also recall White, keep Shane as now 5th choice, pass Balogun on and reassess in summer. Shane won't fancy that one bit though.

Would you sell Duffy for £15m and bring White in? Or keep Shane, have him as back up in case of suspension and injury and keep Ben White away with every chance of losing him in the summer for £25m to Leeds or a team like Liverpool...

I can see Duffy going in the summer if that's what both he and the club want (and someone wants to buy him) and the price is right. In January? - no, not unless he's really pushing for a move and a fantastic offer comes in; that would leave us light in CB cover (Balogun and Baluta I guess - with possibly Ostigard to recall - better all round to leave White and Clarke where they are for now). Not ideal; keep Duffy until June if possible.

But......"every chance of losing him in (White) the summer for £25m to Leeds" - oh FFS - think that through before posting! What bolleaux! The best deal Leeds might get would be another season loan (unlikely), but as for buying him - no chance. We don't have to sell if we don't want to (and certainly not for £25M) - and I think he'll be in our first team next season (maybe replacing Dunk).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Has Webster been that good? I thought he was poor to average of Saturday and he has been at fault for a few goals already. He's better going forward, I'm not sure that's the best way to pick a centre back. And I'm sure Duffy could pass sideways passes to Montoya and Dunk for ages like Webster did on Saturday

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do we know about any such clauses for our other loanees? The latest list on the loanee thread would be enhanced by adding the earliest recall opportunities (suggest J=January, M=May, U=unknown).

I don’t think we (the club) usually indicates whether there is a recall clause when announcing the deal so might be difficult..........

Would be interesting to know whether the Jan window recall clause is ‘standard’ or not.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I can see Duffy going in the summer if that's what both he and the club want (and someone wants to buy him) and the price is right. In January? - no, not unless he's really pushing for a move and a fantastic offer comes in; that would leave us light in CB cover (Balogun and Baluta I guess - with possibly Ostigard to recall - better all round to leave White and Clarke where they are for now). Not ideal; keep Duffy until June if possible.

But......"every chance of losing him in (White) the summer for £25m to Leeds" - oh FFS - think that through before posting! What bolleaux! The best deal Leeds might get would be another season loan (unlikely), but as for buying him - no chance. We don't have to sell if we don't want to (and certainly not for £25M) - and I think he'll be in our first team next season (maybe replacing Dunk).

Most of this.
Would suggest White will replace Burn, with Webster moving to the left of the three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Much talk about our centre back situation but everything depends upon our status at the end of the season which ones will be with us for 20/21 !

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
There aren't many better CBs in the Prem. He's a beast. Celtic would be a good move

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The OP has operated like a Russian bot; trivial undermining of our attitude to a useful player for malicious purposes.

Like others have, I smell Palace.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There will be times this season when defenders will be needed, possibly a different style of play being adopted. In terms of actual defending, Burn and Webster aren't a patch on Duffy. GP would be mad to get rid of him, IMO. Duffy might be working on becoming more like a GP player anyway, you never know...

Is someone going to do a Guy Butters and put him on eBay?

at15155

Jan 5, 2017
I did have my suspicions

No Palace here. Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic but trying to be realistic. I think we've been spoilt a bit by Tony Bloom, huge investment, makes the fans happy but you have to remember this is business for him as well. Duffy isn't favoured, his style doesn't suit Potters and he wants to play. He doesn't seem to be part of the clubs future going forward so why is it so unrealistic to see him go? He's definitely a valued member that will have his part to play for as long as he stays but I can easily see him going to make room for the young talent we have coming through. Isn't that what we brought in the Dan Ashworth to do, the Grade 1 academy and even Graham Potter.

at15155

Jan 5, 2017

Exactly the same situation with Mings at Villa. Bournemouth happy to keep but couldn't refuse £26.5m and White is surpassing Mings in every way when comparing their championship stats. Mings got attached to Villa, wanted to go there and it's no secret that Ben White is loving his time at Leeds. If they get promoted and I know that's a hypothetical situation but one we can't rule out, I don't see why he would actively want to stay with us. We've never sung the kids name here but he's a hero up there and White would be their number 1 target in the 2020 summer window. They're a big rich club and will offer him everything they can to keep him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here