Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time to let Duffy go?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I love the bloke, done a lot for us but is it time for him to go? Journalists from up north are saying LUFC should really fear the loss of Ben White in January.

Shane isn't playing and he's only going to get more frustrated whilst getting older, decreasing his value. It's no secret that Potter prefers Dunk, Webster and Burn but if we were to recall Ben White in January it surely opens up Shane's path out. It actually makes a lot of sense, we could get £15m-£20m for Shane now. White is probably worth around £25m with his current performances (if we sell to Leeds (if they get promoted)) and if he can replicate that form in the Premier League he'll be worth double that by the summer.

I guess we could also recall White, keep Shane as now 5th choice, pass Balogun on and reassess in summer. Shane won't fancy that one bit though.

Would you sell Duffy for £15m and bring White in? Or keep Shane, have him as back up in case of suspension and injury and keep Ben White away with every chance of losing him in the summer for £25m to Leeds or a team like Liverpool...

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Fascinating post.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This seems alarmingly logical.

Apart from Tarkowski- massively overrated- to Leicester. Firstly, Leicester seem to be flourishing without Maguire, and don't seem to be missing him at all, and secondly, Tarkowski is a giant fraud as a defender.

Duffy, yes, you could absolutely see him fitting right into a Sean Dyche side, couldn't you? I don't mean that to be faint praise (well, for Dyche, maybe).

The funny thing is that 2 of the guys at work are ITK at both Leicester and West Brom with links into past or present directors at both clubs (to the extent that I've posted a rather dull explanation on here why Darren Moore was sacked). Tarko to Leicester is the one bit of this fiction I have invented that is based on a semblance of fact. He was apparently lined up as the heir apparent to Maguire but Burnley took the piss on finance (and same with us on Dunk). By all accounts, thier interest has since cooled in both due to the performances of the Turkish lad with lots of dots above his name whoms name I've forgotten or never really registered.

Dunk and Duffy to Arsenal and Burnley respectively is totally made up but I'd agree makes a lot more sense in both cases.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is not something we need to worry about now. We're only one injury away from Duffy being back in the side, and we don't know whether Burn and Webster can their good form up all season.

We're just one booking away from Dunk getting a one match ban.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I do think Duffy's days are numbered but why sell until the summer unless it was a ridiculous offer? Ben White is doing just fine where he is and learning his trade as is Matt Clarke. Next season we can bring them both back let Balgoun go and hopefully get a decent fee for Duffy to use elsewhere in the squad. Another triumph for the much maligned recruitment team. This is the way we will hopefully begin to climb the table by buying well and selling well for top dollar at the right time, so increasing our budget and improving the team at the same time. Easy init?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This. Whilst it would amuse me no end to remove the mighty Leeds best player, it would surely piss the individual off to bring him back and plonk him on the bench and we are well stocked at CB anyway (Bernardo can play 3rd centre back as well)

Leave him be at Leeds, let him win player of the season, be in the Championship team of the year then watch them cry as we sell Dunk to Arsenal and make Ben White 1st choice in our back line next season.

Tarko to Leicester
Duffy to Burnley

Is my prediction based on nothing other than a pure guess up.

Oh to be the Agent negotiating all those deals

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Keep Duffy. Ship out Balogun. Not sure how Clarke is doing but another loan next year may do him good. Too early to tell.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not after Webster's performance against Everton. No way does that first Everton goal go in with Duffy there.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I love the bloke, done a lot for us but is it time for him to go? Journalists from up north are saying LUFC should really fear the loss of Ben White in January.

Shane isn't playing and he's only going to get more frustrated whilst getting older, decreasing his value. It's no secret that Potter prefers Dunk, Webster and Burn but if we were to recall Ben White in January it surely opens up Shane's path out. It actually makes a lot of sense, we could get £15m-£20m for Shane now. White is probably worth around £25m with his current performances (if we sell to Leeds (if they get promoted)) and if he can replicate that form in the Premier League he'll be worth double that by the summer.

I guess we could also recall White, keep Shane as now 5th choice, pass Balogun on and reassess in summer. Shane won't fancy that one bit though.

Would you sell Duffy for £15m and bring White in? Or keep Shane, have him as back up in case of suspension and injury and keep Ben White away with every chance of losing him in the summer for £25m to Leeds or a team like Liverpool...

This is an understatement to say the least.
Journey's from oop norf, that write, well I'll be damned.
Typewriters and primates :lolol:

PS: Keep Duffy IMO

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But Duffy couldn't be shipped out before the January window, by which time the suspension danger for Dunk will have expired.

Dunk's bookings will continue to contribute towards ten, which doesn't expire until April.
i don't think we can recall White in January, but not sure.

If the loan deal had such a clause inserted in it, then yes, we would be able to recall him. I haven't seen anything reported that definitively tells us that, one way or the other..
Do we know about any such clauses for our other loanees? The latest list on the loanee thread would be enhanced by adding the earliest recall opportunities (suggest J=January, M=May, U=unknown).

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

I did have my suspicions, his reply to a Gullsworth post from last season highlighted in bold below::

Quote Originally Posted by *Gullsworth* View Post
Perhaps Potter will be manager at Brighton next season and Chris Hughton manager of Swansea?

They'll be playing Premier League football in 2020/21 and we'll be playing championship then.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not after Webster's performance against Everton. No way does that first Everton goal go in with Duffy there.

Or the 2nd? But remember, we won, so that means we don’t need anyone who didn’t play - NSC rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here