Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a new manager if we don't make the playoffs this season

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Can I dare to suggest that we got them because they want to play for..........Gus Poyet? It has been said many times that he has huge pulling power and that should not be underestimated. But we will only know how much pulling power he has once he has gone.

I agree, gus does attract good qulity players that cant be disputed! but if only he could adapt his tactics to suit them!

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
After the disappointment of last night...well, the last 3 games, i've got my positive cap on this morning. Looking at Leicester and Forest's run in we've still got a decent chance of grabbing one of the play-off spots. We need to put a sustained run together. IF we were to beat Palace on Sunday that would give us a massive lift mentally. Draws are no good from now on. We need to go for the jugular Mr Poyet

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
After the disappointment of last night...well, the last 3 games, i've got my positive cap on this morning. Looking at Leicester and Forest's run in we've still got a decent chance of grabbing one of the play-off spots. We need to put a sustained run together. IF we were to beat Palace on Sunday that would give us a massive lift mentally. Draws are no good from now on. We need to go for the jugular Mr Poyet

I have been thinking things over as well. Then it came to me. With this bunch of bottlers, what is the point of getting to the playoffs anyway? We do not have the mental strength in this team to win them.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Hard to argue with any of that, other than to question how good this squad are for the physical challenge presented by this league. Too many lightweights without a pair of bollocks between them.

Really, then there must be at least 50% of the teams below us now and who will probably stay there, must be short in the bollocks department.
As is quoted many times, the league position does not lie and I am very happy to be in the league position we are in now.
One of the things that kept being thrown at us from the pricks up the road, at the end of last season and the beginning of this, was "just you lot wait, you will definitely suffer from second season syndrome" Now football is littered with clubs where this has been true.
We are not ready for the premiership at present and please everyone back Gus and remember, he is the Guy who has taken us from a Div 1 relegation side, to a double season Championship play off chasing team in under 4 seasons.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have to weigh in with those who say that we are not yet ready for the Premiership. A lot of us remember the days in the old Div 1 and it seemed a perpetual relegation battle, all bar one season (if memory is correct?) when we finished 13th but the football was as boring as hell that year.

Let's complete the training facilities, sign up class players on contracts - not loans and really hammer the Championship before tackling some of the best teams in the World. History is littered with one-season-wonders who squeaked through the play offs.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
With 9 games to go, the last 2 seasons have produced 8 and 9 points.

We will be about 10 points short if we repeat that.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have to weigh in with those who say that we are not yet ready for the Premiership. A lot of us remember the days in the old Div 1 and it seemed a perpetual relegation battle, all bar one season (if memory is correct?) when we finished 13th but the football was as boring as hell that year.

Let's complete the training facilities, sign up class players on contracts - not loans and really hammer the Championship before tackling some of the best teams in the World. History is littered with one-season-wonders who squeaked through the play offs.

I don't disagree with a word of this. If there is a 5 year plan or some such, then I would think we are on track.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Pre Gus 90% of our supporters wouldnt have even considered us getting to The Premier League and would have been quite happy with a mid table Championship side. So my vote is stick with Gus and let him finish the job.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I think a lot of supporters accept that mid table is about right and we have flirted with playoff positions a few times over the last two seasons.

I personally think that premiershite was never an option with the team we have....Orlandi, bridge, Hammond crofts areall players who have been offloaded from premiership clubs as they are not really up to it. Add to that, foreign imports who need to get used to this division and the English game that other teams are actually better at playing than we are playing the Spanish way.

I know there are people who are impatient for success and the experience of hull and Swansea etc have given people false hope that suddenly we are a premiership club...a decent ground does not make you a premiership club...the team does! Gus's idea is that the only way we can improve is to make the players technically better than when they get here and for most cases, that is right, however players who have slotted in to other teams and against us looked great players, like dobbie for example have not suited Gus's game and off they have gone.

This team are capable of consolidating a position around mid table and I am happy with that...it's certainly a damn side better than bumping along in the third and fourth division which in the 39 years I have been watching albion, the majority of which have been spent in these divisions.

Yeah, but these foot stampers want it all NOW!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Moron OP.

Hypothetically, if we did change manager, we would probably end up stuck in this league for years, or worse.

Just out of interest, do you call everyone who you disagree with a moron?

No reason whatsoever why a change of manager should see us going backwards. Tony Bloom is smarter than that.

And incidentally I do not believe we are anywhere near ready for the Premier League ... however we SHOULD have made some progress from last season and as things stand we have not.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

No reason whatsoever why a change of manager should see us going backwards. Tony Bloom is smarter than that.

And incidentally I do not believe we are anywhere near ready for the Premier League ... however we SHOULD have made some progress from last season and as things stand we have not.

I think we have to wait till the end of the season to see if we've made progress.

As it stands we are ONE point off the play offs

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I believe that Gus should honour his role for the remaining 2 years of the 5 year plan. We are still 'work in progress'. Yes it would be great to get to the Prem sooner both for footie and financial reasons but it wouldn't exactly be a disaster to spend another year consolidating in the Championship, as long as there is evidence of us moving forward.

Realistically our present squad would struggle in the Premiership and I don't think it would be enjoyable seeing us fight for survival. I would rather we assemble a better squad that goes up automatically and has a decent chance of surviving, even if that takes a couple more seasons.

If Gus gets headhunted by another Club in the meantime then I don't think we should stand in his way. If they want to take a punt on him then good luck. I would have mixed feelings about Gus going but also part of me is curious to know what sort of manager Tony Bloom would appoint after Gus. I can't see Gus's successor getting a bigger transfer budget so whoever would have to work with similar resources.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I don't want Poyet to leave, we are still work in progress, and anyway I don't think the season is over yet.

Tano would go for sure, and I wonder where that would leave Ulloa, Orlandi, Bruno, Calde, Lopez, Vicente....

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009

Why SHOULD we have made progress since last season? You're confusing should with desirable. All teams and supporters want to progress, but it's not an exact science. Every manager strives to make his team better, from Lewes to Barcelona. But football is not a nice upward curve shown on a graph.

Under Poyet we are progressing. Why on earth people on here want Adkins or McDermott I cannot fathom, both have been found wanting at lesser clubs than Brighton. Hold your nerve, be patient. The Championship is a great league that is exciting, competitive and unpredictable. What sport should be. If we were in the Prem it's not like we'd win the thing is it? The extra revenue would just be spent on ridiculous salaries for mid range players, and anybody that was great would be bought by United, City etc.

Maybe Brighton will one day play in the Prem, but I for one don't want to see us to turn into a laughing stock around managerial sackings like CFC, Southampton, Wolves

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Now that we have a South American Pope, things are set fair for Uruguayan managers, Argentinian assistant managers and Argentinian centre forwards.

Well, it makes as much sense as some of the other rubbish posted on here. Most people with any sort of judgement seem to think that Gus is OK - Ray Wilkins wants him to go to Chelsea, he is linked with every premiership job that comes up, and so on and so on. And who is to say that our depleted squad won't go on a run of six wins now, starting Sunday.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think a lot of supporters accept that mid table is about right and we have flirted with playoff positions a few times over the last two seasons.

I personally think that premiershite was never an option with the team we have....Orlandi, bridge, Hammond crofts areall players who have been offloaded from premiership clubs as they are not really up to it. Add to that, foreign imports who need to get used to this division and the English game that other teams are actually better at playing than we are playing the Spanish way.

I know there are people who are impatient for success and the experience of hull and Swansea etc have given people false hope that suddenly we are a premiership club...a decent ground does not make you a premiership club...the team does! Gus's idea is that the only way we can improve is to make the players technically better than when they get here and for most cases, that is right, however players who have slotted in to other teams and against us looked great players, like dobbie for example have not suited Gus's game and off they have gone.

This team are capable of consolidating a position around mid table and I am happy with that...it's certainly a damn side better than bumping along in the third and fourth division which in the 39 years I have been watching albion, the majority of which have been spent in these divisions.

Bang on the money there, Dave. Top post. :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here