Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a new manager if we don't make the playoffs this season

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Poyet will walk. As we appear to have ****ed up this season with the talent at his disposal next year he MUST deliver. The pressure will be too much so he will walk.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I think a lot of supporters accept that mid table is about right and we have flirted with playoff positions a few times over the last two seasons.

I personally think that premiershite was never an option with the team we have....Orlandi, bridge, Hammond crofts areall players who have been offloaded from premiership clubs as they are not really up to it. Add to that, foreign imports who need to get used to this division and the English game that other teams are actually better at playing than we are playing the Spanish way.

I know there are people who are impatient for success and the experience of hull and Swansea etc have given people false hope that suddenly we are a premiership club...a decent ground does not make you a premiership club...the team does! Gus's idea is that the only way we can improve is to make the players technically better than when they get here and for most cases, that is right, however players who have slotted in to other teams and against us looked great players, like dobbie for example have not suited Gus's game and off they have gone.

This team are capable of consolidating a position around mid table and I am happy with that...it's certainly a damn side better than bumping along in the third and fourth division which in the 39 years I have been watching albion, the majority of which have been spent in these divisions.

You are forgetting the massive difference in our finances and asprirations since the old falling-down Goldstone, Priestfield and Withdean days. We are now the BEST SUPPORTED CLUB (based upon actual gates) in this division, on the back of MASSIVE investment.

Yes things are better, but so they should be!

I, like you I am sure, were delighted to get the odd season of Championship football when we were at Withdean, and could only dream of such dizzy heights at the end of the Goldtone era and at Gillingham (where even Southend had more there than we did!).

Our aspirations have now changed, and in my opinion rightly so. I want to see top flight football and a return to the great times of the late 70s and early 80s. Is that too much to hope for after all the crap we have been through.

I was happy to put up with the dire, boring Poyet football when it produced results. Now, he can neither produce wins or provide entertainment. Sorry my idea of entertainment is seeing our players run at the other team and score goals, not poxy backwards passes and walking pace football. So I want to see him sacked, and replaced by someone who can produce results on the budget this Club can provide, not winge about a lack of money and tell us how he wants to manage Chelsea every time he opens his mouth.

It is time to move to the next level, be that promotion or a real challenge for it, not flirting with the sixth place play-off slot.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
If its another year with the same players then we won't get to the Prem it's as simple as that. We need better quality players and the way things are going with our player budget that is not going to be possible.

We have the players already we just dont play the right system, look at palace on paper there team looks weaker than ours, but they play with a high tempo and it seems to be working.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
It is so important we all stay behind the team and the manager at this time, save all the negativity until the end of the season if you must but remember "what ye sow, so shall ye reap"
Oh and one other thing, be careful what you wish for, having said that, I am really p****d off at the moment

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hard to argue with any of that, other than to question how good this squad are for the physical challenge presented by this league. Too many lightweights without a pair of bollocks between them.

You missed out the bit about not enough English players as well...ya know from your other post on the lets get Adkins/McDermott thread

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Realistically we are in good shape now, with the Amex, new training facilities, a long serving manager (in this day and age) and a clever chairman who is blue and white all the way through.
I am a fifty year supporter of the Albion and am bitterly disappointed with the last three results, but please just take a look at the stats.
We all know that when the right offer comes in we will be gutted that Gus takes it, we could end up with a Sam Alladyce or the like, and before anyone says it, I know he got West Ham out of the championship, but does anyone really enjoy his style of football.
It is so important we all stay behind the team and the manager at this time, save all the negativity until the end of the season if you must but remember "what ye sow, so shall ye reap"
Oh and one other thing, be careful what you wish for

Yes, I prefer his good old ENGLISH football to the poncy tippy tappy Poyet gives us. How about the results? What was the score when we played his team?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
You missed out the bit about not enough English players as well...ya know from your other post on the lets get Adkins/McDermott thread

Since you bring it up, English players would be better suited to the Championship than some of our lightweights.

We are still waiting for the bigger, stonger, faster, fitter players Poyet told us we needed for this league. What does he get? Crocks and lightweights in the main.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We have the players already we just dont play the right system, look at palace on paper there team looks weaker than ours, but they play with a high tempo and it seems to be working.

Spot on and that's why Sunday could be torturous.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
You actually sound like the MORON, your blind faith in Poyet really makes it look like you do not have a brain to think for yourself, so follow the clique.

Nope, it means i dont expect us to be successful overnight and it takes time - its time for YOU and others to wake up and smell the coffee - we arent as good as you think we are.

And my faith in Poyet is because we are 1 point off the play-offs and still in the hunt, should we be 10 points off, thats when you need to start looking at possible changes.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Yes, I prefer his good old ENGLISH football to the poncy tippy tappy Poyet gives us. How about the results? What was the score when we played his team?

Blimey you got in quick, I was editing my post as when I read it back it sounded a right load of cobblers, I do think the last bit was right though

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If its another year with the same players then we won't get to the Prem it's as simple as that. We need better quality players and the way things are going with our player budget that is not going to be possible.

Our playing budget...PIG,Bridge, Upson, Saltor, Orlandi, Lopez, Vicente, Ulloa, Cms, Crofts.....I bet they are all woefully under paid for this division. Christ knows how we got these players, with such a low playing budget. Or maybe they are just all stupid and could be earning loads more elsewhere and it's all down to Gus that they came here for such a poxy wage....Shame we couldn't afford to keep Murray pmsl......

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
We will probably finish sixth or seventh which will be an improvement. Let's have another year in this league. Crowds are better, hope is greater, in the top 10 here rather than being in a perpetual relegation dogfight, losing more than we win a level higher. In the long run we can become a bigger club. Gus may not be the man to get us all the way, but he's done pretty well so far.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Can't believe after a run of 3 bad results people actually want Gus Poyet, the man who has help get the club where we are today, fired.

Take Southampton, for example. They were doing alright with Atkins who helped them win double promotion and looked like he was going to keep them in the Premier League. He got fired, people thought it was ridiculous, and now the new guy has won just 1 of his 7 games in charge. Do you really want this to happen to us? Getting rid of Poyet could mean getting a manager with the magic touch, but it could mean getting someone with no inspiration and could see us slip back down to league 1. Also, if we did sack Gus, would the Spanish contingent of our team want to stay, or would they move on?

As someone said, just because we have a great new stadium which gets packed each week, a team full of Spanish flair players and a fantastic owner does not mean we can simply turn up week in week out and walk the games. I think if everything can stay as it is, with a few signings in the summer, (a few strikers maybe) next season is going to be fantastic.

Let's enjoy the fight up the leagues and the progress. And I think some people need to be reminded that there is not 46 in the played column yet.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Oh and one other thing, be careful what you wish for, having said that, I am really p****d off at the moment

You are right of course.

The thing is 3 frustrating, depressing results have had an effect. And Bolton and Forest winning all the time has meant the 1 point from 9 has really hurt us.

We may have blown it already. A loss against Forest could sink us, likewise if they win on Saturday, and Palace beat us on Sunday.

Gus' High Noon v Palace - anything less than a win and it looks all over - and Gus has a bad record against them.

Lose on Sunday, and it'll feel worse than last year. Win, and you never know where that'll lead.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Don't be so reactionary, here's some more facts - we've had three away games in arctic conditions against 2 bottom clubs fighting for survival and one team pushing for the playoffs, and have lost 3 forwards for various reasons and we have been unlucky not to get more out of 2 of those 3 games. We have also been unlucky not to take maximum points from many games earlier in the season. I don't want to support a club which changes the manager every season, we're playing the best football we have ever played, we just need a 20 goal a year striker. Support the manager, he's still learning as well.

no point playing good football if you cant win games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here