This is how Australians are supposedly treating refugees...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well because by the time they've often travelled through 6-7 other nations they could have sought asylum in before they get to Indonesia. Indonesia does sod all to stop them getting on boats and trying to arrive here without going through the right channels.

The detterent is that the boatmen in Indonesia won't head to Australia now because they know they'll not be allowed onto Australia soil.

And let's not pretend they all come from war torn places. There's plenty of economic refugees trying to get in under the guise of a political refugee.

And in what way does that absovle you or us or any country of the duty to help the genuine cases or indeed give anyone the right to abuse them?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Given we've never had the racial issues the US or UK has had over the years we're a pretty damn successful multi-cultural society.
:lol:

We're as good as it gets when aspiring to a multi-cultural society given how there's no 100% successful multi-cultural society in existence.
:lol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What would you know? How long have you been here?

The most ardent anti-refugee/immigrant sentiment in OZ comes from the Greeks, the Italians, the Serbs, the Croats.

I spent my life growing up around these groups, you?

Me? no never met an immigrant in my life.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

The most ardent anti-refugee/immigrant sentiment in OZ comes from the Greeks, the Italians, the Serbs, the Croats.

it's 2016, most of us have grown up around these groups to some degree.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
**** off you bore. Name one highly multi-cultural nation that's got as conflict free history as ours between different ethnic groups.
Tell me, what percentage of Australians are black? It's probably not even 1%, as you don't let black people into the country. You might have less conflict, because you don't have a multicultural society.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Where did you grow up? When did you arrive?

Being an Immigrant myself i have met many other immigrants who in my experience have a wide range of views on this subject, as do those australian born here. I see no corrolation between being an immigrant and disliking asylum seekers. I have also not read of anyone else claiming such a correlation (until now)

You are basing your assumption that in Australia immigrants are more anti asylum seekers than true blue aussies based on a sample of the people you met growing up who have expressed an opinion on it?

Hardly a sociological study is it. Until I see some evidence for this claim i will take it with a pinch of salt.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well because by the time they've often travelled through 6-7 other nations they could have sought asylum in before they get to Indonesia. Indonesia does sod all to stop them getting on boats and trying to arrive here without going through the right channels.

The detterent is that the boatmen in Indonesia won't head to Australia now because they know they'll not be allowed onto Australia soil.
If that's all that happened, this thread wouldn't be here. This thread was about people being mistreated, not about boats being turned away.

Only an idiot laughs without offering a counter point.
Firstly, that's incorrect. When someone is saying complete nonsense, they will, from time to time, get laughed at. Secondly, I have offered plenty of points in other posts.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Where did you grow up? When did you arrive?

Not sure you wanna go down that road. About 80% of residents in Geelong are Australian born, For a city that size, that is a pretty narrow demograph. Added to which the next most popular birthplace for the population of Geelong is England , then Italy, Croatia, Netherland and Scotland in descending order. With Catholicism far and away being the majority religion. Hardly teaching the world to sing are you! To give that some perspective, in London only 63% of the population are British born.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Tell me, what percentage of Australians are black? It's probably not even 1%, as you don't let black people into the country. You might have less conflict, because you don't have a multicultural society.

At the time of the UK census, conducted in April 2001, 8.3 per cent of the country's population were foreign-born. This was substantially less than that of major immigration countries such as Australia (23 per cent)

Yeah, no multiculturalism here.

Admit you've got no idea what you're on about :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

All Europeans then.

Surprise surprise.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

That was certainly my experience when I lived there.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I can't see any reason that can justify treating people like this.

Sad times.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Given we've never had the racial issues the US or UK has had over the years we're a pretty damn successful multi-cultural society.

John Pilger, an Australian, strongly disagrees...

http://johnpilger.com/articles/mandela-is-gone-but-apartheid-is-alive-and-well-in-australia

As does a South African UN Commissioner...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...outh-Africa-UN-Human-Rights-commissioner.html

And so on. Type 'Australia Apartheid' into Google, and see the many links to Australia's history on aborigines.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports