Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thinking of getting a DOG

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If that's who I think it is, are you going to sit next to me at Falmer? It'll be just like the good old days but with the Samuels.

Marvellous.

That is the truth, mind you the dog gets me out. People know her not me though.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
go to the dogs trust Shoreham

I'm coming to this thread a bit late, but just out of interest, that is where I grew up. Before people start with the funny threads, before it was owned by the Dogs Trust, it was a boarding kennels that my parents owned and ran, and we sold it to the charity.

But, yes, they have a good knowledge of what they have and what might suit you, if you've never had one before. Good place to start.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Best thing I ever done was giving in to the wife & daughter about getting a dog,
Got a lab collie cross as a rescue dog from the RSPCA just over a year ago. As a result I have lost over 3 stone in taking him for walks and feel a lot fitter as result.
After dinner when felling like i can't be bothered to get my arse out the door he sits there all googy eyed staring at me waiting for to take him for a walk/ run over the park.
Absolutely brilliant. dogs will always love you no matter what.

Lock your wife/ girlfriend/ partner and the dog in the boot of your car for an hour, and see who give you the best welcome when you let them out.

Lock your wife/ girlfriend/ partner and the dog in the boot of your car for an hour, and see who give you the best welcome when you let them out.

:clap2: :clap2: Dogs are BRILLIO. They're also good for lowering blood pressure (unless they're ripping up furniture/clothes etc, which can be quite stress-inducing).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I take most people being sensible have covered this already, but here goes.
They can be expensive, even with insurance, my retriever cost me 300 quid, last week, and obviously still no sign of any money back.
A happy dog is a well excerised dog, the more effort/time you put in the better.
(This bit I always thought was bollox, but I'm so converted now) They are a pack animal and as such need to be put in their place, which means:-
Eating last.
Nothing from table.
Through doors last.
Never 'higher' than you, ie sat on back of sofa.
Never let it stand over you if your on the floor.
The list goes you, you have to be 'alpha male'.

We also have a great way of stopping chewing, should you need it.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I take most people being sensible have covered this already, but here goes.
They can be expensive, even with insurance, my retriever cost me 300 quid, last week, and obviously still no sign of any money back.
A happy dog is a well excerised dog, the more effort/time you put in the better.
(This bit I always thought was bollox, but I'm so converted now) They are a pack animal and as such need to be put in their place, which means:-
Eating last.
Nothing from table.
Through doors last.
Never 'higher' than you, ie sat on back of sofa.
Never let it stand over you if your on the floor.
The list goes you, you have to be 'alpha male'.

We also have a great way of stopping chewing, should you need it.
And that is........?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Basenjis are hunting dogs and not retrievers hence they would get sticks as it's not in the nature. The reason they are good hunters is that they are silent, no barking hence they are very good at stalking prey. They are highly intelligent.

I have to disagree there.

Basenjis are sight hounds. And most sight hound breeds will chase anything if you get them onto it early as pups.

My 9 month old Whippet is obsessed with chasing after balls. sticks anything you throw he'll get. He would chase and retrieve 24/7 if he could.

They won't bring the ball back every single time as they'll want you to chase them as part of a game.

My dog deliberately steals other dogs toys at the park just so that they chase after him.

There's a Saluki and a Deerhound at the local park that chase and retrieve also.

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Here's a tip. Don't f***ing get one

Wouldn't put it quite that strongly, dogs in general aren't too bad...however, I wouldn't share my home with either one of them or a smoker...as for a smoking dog, no bloody chance.

Someone who lives in the next street from me has some yapping dogs that bark loudly and enthusiastically at times, which really spoils the enjoyment of sitting out in the garden of an evening...someone else has a dog in a cage that sounds like it would readily eat children given half a chance.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

Is this a roundabout way of saying the hound scoffed your wallet...if so, you might just get the coins back if you are patient enough!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
This is my dog, Hugh. With his ball.

Attachments

• Hugh and Izzy's Bear 1105 001.jpg
    Hugh and Izzy's Bear 1105 001.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 107

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
That must be about life size nearly!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Remember if the dog barks late at night it will annoy the neighbours.
Another good way of annoying the neighbours is to bang 2 metal dustbin lids together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here