Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Think Tony and Barber maybe thinking they've made a mistake..........

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We will start to score soon, lots of goals.

The squad is huge, its all new and we are also playing a new system.

In a few weeks time we will be tearing teams apart in this division.

Have some bloody patience eh.

Anybody remember playing at Gillingham, or the Shitdean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here we go again, bring in the Gillingham and/or Withdean argument. Time to move on (like the club has).

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Here we go again, bring in the Gillingham and/or Withdean argument. Time to move on (like the club has).

Yeah, but some Muppets think that just because we have moved on, we should win every bloody game we play.

We won't, and the number of changes we have made over the last 4 seasons, mean that things will move along at their own pace.

This squad is excellent, the manager is great and we will achieve, eventually.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On the plus side, if the current league position persists until xmas and the pretendences keep dropping off, it might just re-focus Bloom & Barber's minds back on to the only thing that matters for a football club so far as the 'customer' is concerned - the playing side of things. Then do the needful in the January transfer market. Especially in the striker dept. Spend some damn money!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, this is unlike you to see things differently from everyone else. We created chances today, just like we did against Cardiff, but without an intelligent striker making the correct runs we'll continue to be blunt as an attacking force.
It doesn't matter what run any striker makes if the ball isn't coming through to them they aren't going to score.
We created nothing for 90 minutes, today.
If it weren't for injury time panic stations we wouldn't have created anything all game.

Marshall didn't make any mistakes on Tuesday, but also he didn't do anything 'worldie' either.
It was an impressive display because he was called upon so many times.
But he played like a goalkeeper in the wrong division, not one having 'one of those games'.

Strikers that can make a silk purse out of a sows ear, don't play second division football on £10k a week.

I do believe very soon you'll be proven correct, just not yet.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Again, what have you seen in Baldock to suggest he is any better than CMS? CMS and a decent big striker is what we've been waiting for, for 2 or 3 seasons. I ask again, why is competent striker/Baldock any better than competent striker/CMS?

Funnily enough, CMS and Baldock BOTH have records that suggest they are exceptionally good L1 strikers, but average Championship strikers.
Again, why are you choosing to write Baldock off after 3 games? CMS has demonstrated week in week out that he's not up to it over 3 years, and that's in a team finishing in the play offs. Baldock is yet to be given a decent run in this team which seems to have clicked, almost. If he plays several games on the spin and doesn't score then so be it but shall we let him have a go first?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yeah, but some Muppets think that just because we have moved on, we should win every bloody game we play.

We won't, and the number of changes we have made over the last 4 seasons, mean that things will move along at their own pace.

Fair enough but where is the proof for he is great? 11 games in and looking at the league table we are not in a good place (although performances have improved since the beginning of the season, although with the players in the squad they should have), when you add in his time in Germany I have a problem with the great comment.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We will start to score soon, lots of goals.

The squad is huge, its all new and we are also playing a new system.

In a few weeks time we will be tearing teams apart in this division.

Have some bloody patience eh.

Anybody remember playing at Gillingham, or the Shitdean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course we do. Don't be so patronising.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
May just be thinking that Sami is not the right man to take us forward we are virtually 1/4 way through season now and its looking like a relegation scrap the way things are going.....2 wins in 11 is poor to say the least and with crowds already falling I reckon panic could set in!!!!!

I think whoever came in was going to have a tough time. Gus had built up a lot of momentum and Oscar was able to ride on the back of that to some degree. Had Oscar not gone, we might be a bit better off. Tough to say its all Sami's fault. We've not been tonked by anyone and have only lost by single goals. Its a game of fine margins.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It doesn't matter what run any striker makes if the ball isn't coming through to them they aren't going to score.

If the striker makes the right run into the right area the ball will come to them. The ball came through to CMS a few times on Tuesday, unfortunately his lack of ability prevented him from doing anything remotely productive with the ball. Again, the ball made it to O'gradys head today, he did nothing with it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
May just be thinking that Sami is not the right man to take us forward we are virtually 1/4 way through season now and its looking like a relegation scrap the way things are going.....2 wins in 11 is poor to say the least and with crowds already falling I reckon panic could set in!!!!!

Sami is the right man, I think its a case of all a bit of a rush at the start of the season and now trying to settle to a style of playing when it should have been all done in the close season, and that is not his fault he is desperately trying to play catch-up within the season.
there are signs that things are coming right, some of the draws could well have been wins.
if anyone is to blame maybe the board could have been a little quicker in getting Sami, but thats water under the bridge things are getting better and we have the players we have and will have to use them or is CMS is badly injured we could get an emergency loan.

now you have had a chance to read this Mr thumbs down, you might agree I am far from negative, I won't name you but please do not assume you know me without reading more of my posts

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

The way I'm looking at it, we are fast losing the hard-won forward momentum we have exhibited in the last 3 seasons.

The season-ticket sales and now attendances are dwindling, and we need to address the obvious issue on the playing side right now (lack of a decent striker at our level). Yes we've been in the Championship long enough to say that this is our level.

NOBODY is saying we are entitled to win every game, but 2 wins in 11 is simply NOT good enough. Sami has still to prove he is a great manager I'm afraid, precisely because he now (belatedly) has a good squad.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think at the end of the day, the problem is that we were only creating one or two chances in games last year and ulloa was scoring them. Now we are creating a few chances and due to the skill of opposition keepers or incompetence we are not scoring them.

Maybe we were flattering to deceive last year and now, as these things tend to happen, we are struggling to get points in the bag.

All very obvious points, but I can see teams like Fulham spending to get them away from the bottom and perhaps we are not prepared to spend big and rather bank the money received from Leicester?

Dont get me wrong I like Sami and I hope he can get the results what I mean is its a results business irrespective of performances and yes we played well tues and today and should of won however with the club needing the money ie fans packing the amex I think the alarm bells will be ringing in the boardroom. Its fact that winning games being in top 6 challenging will see crowds back up to the 27-28000 + which is what Barber wants to see!!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
whilst I am not a fan of the system
I have to admit we are playing it better
especially defensively
but lack of quality in the final third did not start with Sami
we didn't scored many goals in the last 3 seasons either
ulloa was an honourable exception

FWIW, I think that Sami has us playing in the most attractive way since we rolled up at the Amex - look at the stats !
As a previous poster noted, we are hardly in a worse position than we were at this time last season and, other than for unforced errors, the Albion would be significantly higher up the table. Sami is a new manager and has introduced his own style which, after eleven match days, is getting better and better to my mind. The argument that we have not replaced striker for striker is fair comment but, given the financial circumstances of the club that should hardly be surprising. Again we have hardly given our new additions time nor opportunity to prove themselves and CMS, who was our leading scorer until the time of his injury, is hardly deserving of the negative comment he has received on here given the severity of his injury and the time in which he was sidelined. And no, Ashley Barnes was never the solution !
I think that we may be looking at the situation a bit differently by Christmas and I hope that I will be proved to be correct.
UTA.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Again, why are you choosing to write Baldock off after 3 games? CMS has demonstrated week in week out that he's not up to it over 3 years, and that's in a team finishing in the play offs. Baldock is yet to be given a decent run in this team which seems to have clicked, almost. If he plays several games on the spin and doesn't score then so be it but shall we let him have a go first?

I haven't written him off.

I ask again, what have you seen in him that suggests he will make the grade at our level?

I will be ECSTATIC if he starts to bang them in.

But, then again, I will be ECSTATIC if CMS does too. Likewise COG and Colunga (or anyone else in our team for that matter).

So far, CMS has 1 Championship goal this season. 1. 3 in total. Baldock has none. None in total - in a word, unproven. I'm not saying he won't make it. Just saying there is NOTHING in his play for us so far that suggests he will be the answer to our striker problems. OK?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
perhaps we are not prepared to spend big and rather bank the money received from Leicester?

Sincerely hope that's not the case. Not much point in having a bit of transfer money in the bank if it's all gobbled up by losses incurred through drop in pretendences and associated matchday revenue.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If the striker makes the right run into the right area the ball will come to them. The ball came through to CMS a few times on Tuesday, unfortunately his lack of ability prevented him from doing anything remotely productive with the ball. Again, the ball made it to O'gradys head today, he did nothing with it.
3 chances in 155 minutes of football, isn't a great return for one dominant possession game, and one reasonably even possession game.

Talk me through KLL and Gardener 3 shots from combined yardage of over 90 yards.
What about at least 6 times Tex holding onto the ball and having it tackled off him instead of doing something/anything with it.
How about the freedom Bruno had on Tues, and less so today, barring a fluke he produced very little.

All the above and plenty more examples are stopping any striker from having a decent chance.

They are all likely (hopefully) going to improve at which point then we can question the strikers.

They should be getting a hat full of good chances, not half arsed scraps.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I have to say I agree. I'll add, Colunga tamely shot when clean through. Baldock has done nothing.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
We've had umpteen chances to sign Chris Wood. Never took one of them. Shame, cos he knows where the goal is, unlike the current crop of so-called strikers.
Not necessarily Wood but that kind of striker. Most of our shots are from 10 or more yards out, most goals are scored within 10.. Its not shooting accuracy thats the problem its getting the ball into the most dangerous areas, even so there were a couple of occasions today when the right striker wouldve taken a gamble and we'd have won the game. We need the striker that can unsettle defences and force the ball home when it does come across/drop into those areas. Watching the live stream we offered no real threat up front especially when taking pot shots from distance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here