Things you did as a kid and learnt never to do again

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Setting fire to the grass on the slope of the Race Hill which leads down to Whitehawk and then realising the wind had changed direction.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Using dads carving knife to try and get the people out of the telly. It was a rented television.

Lighting matches under my parents bed could have turned out worse than it did as well.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I filled the bath wih toilet paper cause I wanted to light it and watch it burn. It did burn.......the entire fuckin enamel bathtub :(

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Listen to my sister (although it took three attempts, so perhaps void for this thread). She told me to drink a bottle of bubbles and I did. She told me to touch the hot Christmas roasting tin and I did. She told me I was adopted and I believed her. :nono:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I can combine 'Running away when primary teacher calls time to go in' with 'Not looking where you are going', both of which I regretted when I ended up smashing my forehead into the corner of an open window and having to go to hospital to have stiches in (funny thing is at first I didn't realise anything was particularly wrong until a) I saw the look on my teachers face and b) that the sweat I could feel drenching my face wasn't sweat :(

Also, spitting on the bulbs in table lamps from above is not to be recommended.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Aged about six, I cut Paul McCartney's fringe out of the front cover of TV Times and stuck it to my own fringe with Copydex, a foul-smelling chewing gum type glue. Ran into the room shouting 'Look at me, I'm a Beatle!'. Not sure the Fab Four were ever subjected to the horrors that immediately followed my announcement... :down:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Drank bleach :nono:

Also I found a rocket, (the type you buy from a shop that normally goes pop rather than BANG) - it had launched but not exploded so i took the bang out of it, I found a sheltered corner of the garden next to a couple of brick walls where i decided to blow it up.

It had a tiny fuse left so i thought i needed to use something so i could light it and get away before blowing up so i used that well known slow burning fuse otherwise known as a firelighter :facepalm:

I leant over it to set it off (my head was about a foot away) and as soon as i touched the match to the firelighter it exploded. It was far louder than i expected (not helped by being in a confined space) and left me with ringing in my ears for several days as well as being covered in white flecks of firelighter

Lush

Mods' Pet
Also I found a rocket, (the type you buy from a shop that normally goes pop rather than BANG) - it had launched but not exploded so i took the bang out of it, I found a sheltered corner of the garden next to a couple of brick walls where i decided to blow it up.

It had a tiny fuse left so i thought i needed to use something so i could light it and get away before blowing up so i used that well known slow burning fuse otherwise known as a firelighter :facepalm:

I leant over it to set it off (my head was about a foot away) and as soon as i touched the match to the firelighter it exploded. It was far louder than i expected (not helped by being in a confined space) and left me with ringing in my ears for several days as well as being covered in white flecks of firelighter

And you got your user name how?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
trying to jump off the bus at the Old Steine before it had stopped (before buses had doors). I had seen loads of my mates do it and it looked cool and easy but I didn't realise they always ran in the same direction as the bus was moving. I jumped, started running but my legs buckled and I crashed into the railings opposite what is now the Taj grocers. I had tried to run in the wrong direction. To make matters worse an old lady told me off. I was about 14 at the time and limped to the beach.

Last edited:

SeagullofKent

Feb 27, 2009
Sittingbourne/ Eastbourne
when i was 12 me and my mate stole a 10kg calor gas canister from a petrol station, carried it to the top of the north downs. we then dug a pit made a fire in it then chucked it in, about 5 minutes later from about 100 meteers we were rewarded with an absolutely enourmous explotion and fireball, it was out of this world. after running away we went back the next day to see the hole was about 7 feet wide and all the trees within about 20ft had thick bits of shrapenal inbedded in them.

You must have been scared like HELL! :wozza: Pretty amazing story to tell the granchildren though! :dunce:

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
trying to jump off the bus at the Old Steine before it had stopped (before buses had doors). I had seen loads of my mates do it and it looked cool and easy but I didn't realise they always ran in the same direction as the bus was moving. I jumped, started running but my legs buckled and I crashed into the railings opposite what is now the Taj grocers. I had tried to run in the wrong direction. To make matters worse an old lady told me off. I was about 14 at the time and limped to the beach.

I did that when I was 23.....

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Swimming in Guernsey on holiday when the sea was rough as hell and there were rocks nearby. The pain :eek: After being bandaged up around my chest, the smell got worse the longer i left them on.:sick:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I've never sung the alternative "Trebor mints" song in front of my mother again.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I used to have to do the washing or wiping up when I was a kid, which was split between me and my sister. I hated wiping up with a passion, especially the cutlery. It once made perfect sense to me to put all the knives and forks etc in the microwave to dry them. Luckily, it didn'y explode, but it also didn;t work, so didn't bother again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports