These are the world's most livable cities for 2015

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Been to 15 on the list and haven't really considered living in any of them. Lisbon maybe.

I can think of many cities I'd rather live in.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Belgrade??

I doubt Beograd would make it onto the world's top 200, let alone the top 20. It may be cheap but it's hideously ugly and remarkably unfriendly.

Unfriendly? We couldn't get away from people want to chat to us when we were there. And there are some really ugly tower blocks - as there are everywhere - but there are some stunningly beautiful parts: the view from the castle is stupendous. It's cheap, some decent beer, there are some great bars and restaurants and, I gather, a good clubbing scene. Again, it all depends how you define livable but Belgrade is pretty good.

Not been to Zagreb or Dubrovnik so can't comment but I agree about Ljubljana, it's a lovely place

I

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Rode my motorcycle to Barcelona and back less then a month ago; wasn't a big fan of Barca might have had something to do with the heat wave! But Bordeaux and Paris on the other hand great cities. And in all fairness Brighton is pretty special and nearly every person who asked where i was from thought i was really luck to live here!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
They've got it right about London. Beautiful parks and the Thames is lovely but central London is claustrophobic, overcrowded and manic with a poor transport system.

Londons transport system is poor. I have heard it all now.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not sure any city can be considered 'liveable' if you can't afford to drink there.

Prague would be not only be on the list, but very near the top. Beer is still cheaper than water here.

A lot of CZ people have good things to say about Brighton as well

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Unfriendly? We couldn't get away from people want to chat to us when we were there. And there are some really ugly tower blocks - as there are everywhere - but there are some stunningly beautiful parts: the view from the castle is stupendous. It's cheap, some decent beer, there are some great bars and restaurants and, I gather, a good clubbing scene. Again, it all depends how you define livable but Belgrade is pretty good.

Not been to Zagreb or Dubrovnik so can't comment but I agree about Ljubljana, it's a lovely place

I

Curious. I guess everything is in the eye of the beholder. I found that most Serbs have a real chip on their shoulder and make little effort with tourists. The city lacks any real centre with pedestrianised areas, splendid squares and fountains. Instead you find odd bits of paved spaces dissected by huge multi lane carriageways. There are still crumbling bombed out building shells from 20 years ago that they've not even bothered to clear up and everything is just so dirty.

Don't get me wrong, it's not without its charms. But I'd never consider it somewhere I'd recommend for a holiday, let alone as somewhere to live.

The fort is nice though, you're right. And the views over the river from it are most pleasant on a sunny day.

IMG_1072_thumb.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rode my motorcycle to Barcelona and back less then a month ago; wasn't a big fan of Barca might have had something to do with the heat wave! But Bordeaux and Paris on the other hand great cities. And in all fairness Brighton is pretty special and nearly every person who asked where i was from thought i was really luck to live here!

I'm always amazed at how many Europeans know Brighton. And I mean know it ie have either visited themselves or have friends who have and waxed lyrical to them about Brighton. And from my experience it's loads and loads.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having lived in Sydney and Tokyo and done more visa runs to Honkers than I can count I can say that while Sydney definitely deserves its place, Tokyo and Hong Kong don't. It's not that I don't like them and would personally live in either again tomorrow but they are not for everyone and certainly not without issues.

Tokyo - as well as the ever present fear of earthquakes - is overcrowded in the extreme and very expensive property wise. Unless you are a rich ex-pat you will be living at least an hour away from the centre in a two or three room apartment. No bbqs or beaches like Sydney, not that you could have them in June anyway as it literally doesn't stop raining for the whole month.

Honkers meanwhile is also overcroweded but, if you have kids, then the air pollution would be a major drawback.

Like others I think there are some strange omissions. Brighton, obviously. But I would also go and live in Florence tomorrow given the chance. Ditto Galway which is also technically a city and has great walks, bars and restaurants, lovely houses and a very lively summer calender. In fact Galway and Salthill reminded me together of Brighton and Hove.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'd go along with the Brighton plug.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Having lived in Sydney and Tokyo and done more visa runs to Honkers than I can count I can say that while Sydney definitely deserves its place, Tokyo and Hong Kong don't. It's not that I don't like them and would personally live in either again tomorrow but they are not for everyone and certainly not without issues.

Tokyo - as well as the ever present fear of earthquakes - is overcrowded in the extreme and very expensive property wise. Unless you are a rich ex-pat you will be living at least an hour away from the centre in a two or three room apartment. No bbqs or beaches like Sydney, not that you could have them in June anyway as it literally doesn't stop raining for the whole month.

Honkers meanwhile is also overcroweded but, if you have kids, then the air pollution would be a major drawback.

Like others I think there are some strange omissions. Brighton, obviously. But I would also go and live in Florence tomorrow given the chance. Ditto Galway which is also technically a city and has great walks, bars and restaurants, lovely houses and a very lively summer calender. In fact Galway and Salthill reminded me together of Brighton and Hove.

I'm keen to go to Tokyo. Primarily to eat. Views?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm keen to go to Tokyo. Primarily to eat. Views?

Oh do it! I loved the place and the food is amazing. I was there in 2003 and the high end restaurants then were decent were but they are supposed to be at another level now, However, the cheap stuff is amazing, We had a local Ramen place that served amazing noodles with a cold beer that were my favourite mid-winter treat. We would also go once a week to a Yakatori joint near Naka Meguro station that did delicacies that ranged from BBQ asparagus wrapped in bacon to sashimi chicken (yes, really). Any non chain sushi place should be decent and Tsujiki fish market is a must.

If you are going to do a long flight like that though try and take in Kyoto. The Americans had an agreement not to bomb it in the war and it is a preserved piece of old Japanese culture. Take a walking tour of Gion, the geisha area with Peter McIntosh. If he likes you he'll get you in to a Geisha Bar or book you in for kaiseki.

http://www.kyotosightsandnights.com/walking.html

For more up to date / more in depth knowledge I would ask [MENTION=286]Garry Nelson's Left Foot[/MENTION] and [MENTION=97]Toronto Seagull[/MENTION]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Oh do it! I loved the place and the food is amazing. I was there in 2003 and the high end restaurants then were decent were but they are supposed to be at another level now, However, the cheap stuff is amazing, We had a local Ramen place that served amazing noodles with a cold beer that were my favourite mid-winter treat. We would also go once a week to a Yakatori joint near Naka Meguro station that did delicacies that ranged from BBQ asparagus wrapped in bacon to sashimi chicken (yes, really). Any non chain sushi place should be decent and Tsujiki fish market is a must.

If you are going to do a long flight like that though try and take in Kyoto. The Americans had an agreement not to bomb it in the war and it is a preserved piece of old Japanese culture. Take a walking tour of Gion, the geisha area with Peter McIntosh. If he likes you he'll get you in to a Geisha Bar or book you in for kaiseki.

http://www.kyotosightsandnights.com/walking.html

For more up to date / more in depth knowledge I would ask [MENTION=286]Garry Nelson's Left Foot[/MENTION] and [MENTION=97]Toronto Seagull[/MENTION]

Many thanks. There is some ridiculous freebie that I might be able to wangle from work, which I now might attempt to crank into action.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Of course we are much nearer to Barcelona than Sunderland when it comes to football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course we are much nearer to Barcelona than Sunderland when it comes to football.

And beaches, sunshine, and Brewdog bars.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports