Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

These are the world's most livable cities for 2015

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Utter bollocks that there are no Italian Cities - Verona is absolutely lovely!

Mind you I'm too old for cities these days so it would be a village outside Verona.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If you're in your 20s, you really wouldn't to live in Vienna or Geneva. I still shudder at wondering round central Vienna at just after 10 on a Saturday night and not finding a single bar open. I eventually found one away from the main drag, only for it to shut at 11.00. And Vienna is the height of sleaziness and debauchery compared to Geneva

No Budapest, my own favourite European city? Or Belgrade?
I echo your Budapest sentiment. Fabulous city.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
If you're in your 20s, you really wouldn't to live in Vienna or Geneva. I still shudder at wondering round central Vienna at just after 10 on a Saturday night and not finding a single bar open. I eventually found one away from the main drag, only for it to shut at 11.00.

perhaps they were all indoors shagging ???

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Based on 22 factors, but I missed what these were other than the ones mentioned in the brief report.

Does it include items such as top flight sport, cost of public transport and frequency, tour dates of top music acts, quality theatre etc.

Surprised by many omissions London, New York.....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They've got it right about London. Beautiful parks and the Thames is lovely but central London is claustrophobic, overcrowded and manic with a poor transport system.

claustrophobic? compared to a number on the list, its considerably less densely populated and not as high rise either. the transport system is excellent, just very, very busy at times and runs at capacity so little glitch and it can snarl up. though the it is manic, pretty much all day and most the night (except the City at weekend which is virtually abandoned).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
claustrophobic? compared to a number on the list, its considerably less densely populated and not as high rise either. the transport system is excellent, just very, very busy at times and runs at capacity so little glitch and it can snarl up. though the it is manic, pretty much all day and most the night (except the City at weekend which is virtually abandoned).

I've just got back from Paris, where the Metro is half the price of London's tube system, and (for me) just as good. And you might like this bit: I'm really going off the way London's skyline has been opened up over the last decade or so -- it's a mess, and all about egos and affluence, rather than sensitive planning.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Pretentious nonsense. There are slums all over the place in Lisbon and Madrid is bang average too.

Plenty of far better cities have been left off, including the whole of Italy and a good chunk of North America. How can you have Vancouver at #4 and Seattle nowhere to be seen? They're next door to each other with virtually the same quality of life!

quite agree here, from what I hear Vancouver is tanking fast.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
25. Portland, OR, USA
24. Barcelona, Spain
23. Oslo, Norway
22. Geneva, Switzerland
21. Hamburg, Germany
20. Amsterdam, Netherlands
19. Hong Kong, China
18. Lisbon, Portugal
17. Auckland, New Zealand
16. Madrid, Spain
15. Paris, France
14. Kyoto, Japan
13. Singapore
12. Fukuoka, Japan
10. Copenhagen, Denmark (tied)
10. Zürich, Switzerland (tied)
9. Munich, Germany
8. Helsinki, Finland
7. Vancouver, Canada
6. Stockholm, Sweden
5. Sydney, Australia
4. Melbourne, Australia
3. Berlin, Germany
2. Vienna, Austria
1. Tokyo, Japan

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/na...ey-2015-ranks-world-cities-livability?share=c

Well?

Rubbish list with some right turds on there.
Paris, Lisbon, Tokyo, Hong Kong (liveable?!?!).

Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that rubbish.

Been to 6 and moving to a 7th soon.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Been to 16 of the cities on the list. Copenhagen and Helsinki are pretty dull, quite how they are above the likes of London, Cape Town and NY I have no idea. Hated Madrid too.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Who says so ? And why should we bother listening to them ?

Stumpy Tim

Mumbai is a hideous, smelly, overcrowded, slum-dwelling hell-hole of a city. So I doubt it would make any list of liveable cities. Christ, even the Indian authorities have realised this and built a city next door & called it "New Mumbai".

The fact that Auckland is on the list instantly devalues it. It's the most boring city on earth, thousands of miles from anywhere, with no public transport and nothing of any note ever happens there

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Got round to looking at the link to Monocle but can't see any indication of how these are decided. All that's said is that the mag has added 22 new metrics to the list but won't say what they are or how many existing metrics there were.

The only ones that are mentioned are routes into and out of the place (a weird criterion) and personal freedom. I'm not sure how that's defined, seeing that one of the cities is in web-censoring, single-party China. I know these things are subjective but that seems a totally bizarre list

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
If you're in your 20s, you really wouldn't to live in Vienna or Geneva. I still shudder at wondering round central Vienna at just after 10 on a Saturday night and not finding a single bar open. I eventually found one away from the main drag, only for it to shut at 11.00. And Vienna is the height of sleaziness and debauchery compared to Geneva

No Budapest, my own favourite European city? Or Belgrade?

Belgrade??

I doubt Beograd would make it onto the world's top 200, let alone the top 20. It may be cheap but it's hideously ugly and remarkably unfriendly. If we're going with former Yugoslav cities I'd say Ljubljana, Split and Dubrovnik are all infinitely more liveable than Belgrade. Zagreb is perfectly pleasant also, and I'd even put Sarajevo, bombed out buildings and mortar shells included, up there before the Serbian capital.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here