Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
As long as the vaccine stops people being hospitalised or dying then it is job done, surely ?

I am a bit cynical tbh, having had the Oxford jab on the day this news is released. There's just no proof yet that it does, there's a hope or best guess, but no proof. I actually don't understand why so long after the initial intro, they still havn't published official data on the elderly, as many nations ban it in that demographic..... They still say they "believe it works" by looking at antibodies in peoples bodies, where all the others have proven peer reviewed data.

Moderna, Novavax and J&J have all published data that whilst efficacy is reduced by around 20-30%, they do still offer protections against mild/moderate disease. Novavax from 89 Chinese/UK variant to 60 SA variant is still good.

This is a big deal imho, for a government that only has Oxford right now virtually guaranteed and Pfizer based in Belgium with potential export issues, Its also been given so widely, that I cant help look at this and think this is narrative trying to soften what is pretty awful data, that its not as effective as others, against what I deduce will become the dominant strain this summer.

Im not a scientist by any means, but it just seems logical that the Chinese variant and Kent variant R numbers will soon drop below 1 as those versions come up against an increasing sized wall of natural antibody and vaccinated people in their tens of millions, whereas the SA variant is going to come up against a vaccine that doesnt properly protect against it and therefore it has far more people it can infect and its R number may stay above 1, even more so as lockdowns are lifted.

This is damage limitation PR, for what is really not good news, in the absence of hard data. Of course Oxford is better than nowt, but they need to get the SA variant data asap and vaccine inclusion quick sharp too, to control its R. The cat is already out of the bag, Pandorras box opened and SA variant here and will spread to be dominant soon imho

fwiw, whilst SA obvs has a large % of BAME citizens, and covid disproportionally affects the black community, it was worrying to read that even during their summer, vast swathes of healthy young kids were getting hospitalised with this variant.......... maybe some local factors in that, but doesnt look to be so benign with kids as original strains. :down:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am a bit cynical tbh, having had the Oxford jab on the day this news is released. There's just no proof yet that it does, there's a hope or best guess, but no proof. I actually don't understand why so long after the initial intro, they still havn't published official data on the elderly, as many nations ban it in that demographic..... They still say they "believe it works" by looking at antibodies in peoples bodies, where all the others have proven peer reviewed data.

they do know from the studies that no subjects ad severe symptoms or hospitalisation. they wouldnt say so otherwise, they are super cautious about conclusions and statements made, often underplaying results. its very difficult to have focused studies on demographics that are being cautious and less likely to be exposed virus. checking that older people have the same antibodies is sufficient, as that is what does the job and means the vaccine has worked. i haven't seen anything from other studies other than they have larger numbers of over 60's in their studies and therefore infer better efficacy, there's been no dedicated over 60 only trials. likewise its very difficult to run a trail against a particular variant in isolation, unless doing challenge trials.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Moderna, Novavax and J&J have all published data that whilst efficacy is reduced by around 20-30%, they do still offer protections against mild/moderate disease. Novavax from 89 Chinese/UK variant to 60 SA variant is still good.

This is a big deal imho, for a government that only has Oxford right now virtually guaranteed and Pfizer based in Belgium with potential export issues, Its also been given so widely, that I cant help look at this and think this is narrative trying to soften what is pretty awful data, that its not as effective as others, against what I deduce will become the dominant strain this summer.

Im not a scientist by any means, but it just seems logical that the Chinese variant and Kent variant R numbers will soon drop below 1 as those versions come up against an increasing sized wall of natural antibody and vaccinated people in their tens of millions, whereas the SA variant is going to come up against a vaccine that doesnt properly protect against it and therefore it has far more people it can infect and its R number may stay above 1, even more so as lockdowns are lifted.

This is damage limitation PR, for what is really not good news, in the absence of hard data. Of course Oxford is better than nowt, but they need to get the SA variant data asap and vaccine inclusion quick sharp too, to control its R. The cat is already out of the bag, Pandorras box opened and SA variant here and will spread to be dominant soon imho

fwiw, whilst SA obvs has a large % of BAME citizens, and covid disproportionally affects the black community, it was worrying to read that even during their summer, vast swathes of healthy young kids were getting hospitalised with this variant.......... maybe some local factors in that, but doesnt look to be so benign with kids as original strains. :down:

Agreed.
As a 72 year old who had the AstraZeneca jab yesterday, my heart did sink somewhat when I heard this.
I hope I am being ‘over sensitive’.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What is WRONG with this woman?

Still does not accept the full blame, trying to pass it on to suppliers.

leyen.JPG

I think Ma'am, that the lesson has already been learnt.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The study on the efficacy of the AZ/O vaccine against the SA variant was quite small (only 2,000 people) - far more research is needed to get a clear conclusion
This won't be the last serious variant - they will emerge all the time so we need to get used to this kind of news
The scientists are already working in tweaks to the vaccine to better counter new variants as they ate identified - that will be ongoing
The study explicitly reports that the vaccine 'is less effective at preventing mild or moderate illness' - there's no evidence that it's not preventing serious illness (the contrary appears to be the case - ie it does prevent death/serious illness)
I don't think there is a 'PR aspect to this at all - it's just the research and situation is changing all time and the scientists are trying to keep up with it

Facts seem to be that having the vaccine will almost certainly prevent people from getting seriously ill, needing hospital or dying. The efficacy of the vaccine will be improved (by the Autumn according to reports) so when annual boosters are administered they'll be more effective - in the meantime we'll have stopped the vast majority of people getting seriously ill. I'll happily take the AZ/O jab when I'm called up.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What is WRONG with this woman?

Still does not accept the full blame, trying to pass it on to suppliers.

View attachment 133636

I think Ma'am, that the lesson has already been learnt.

Seems pretty honest to where they've gone wrong. They screwed up and will be behind for a while

Just imagine if Johnson took some responsibility for the highest death rate of any major nation on earth

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Just imagine if Johnson took some responsibility for the highest death rate of any major nation on earth

This one is like COVID whack-a-mole.

Someone trying to take a swipe at the evil Tories will claim this.

Others will point out that it’s not the highest, that the British definition of COVID death is a lot more loose and inclusive than many other countries, that factors like population density and obesity rates come into play, that it won’t be until the dust settles that we’ll have an idea as to who really was hardest hit.

And then a few days later, up it pops again.

Ps. Not sure why my iPad automatically converts COVID to uppercase, but it does, so there.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
c virus 4.jpg

This was probably posted originally by an anti vaxxer. But there is some truth in it. They haven't come up with a completely effective vaccine for the flu, they have come up with a vaccine which is very effective against the flu for about 40% (average) of the people it is given to (CDC figures) but still has to be tweaked every year to account for variants of the flu. It seems that the Covid vaccines will also require continuous tweaking to take into account the way in which the Covid is going to mutate. I think as long as people are realistic about these limitations things will work out and also realise that the Covid jab will probably need to be taken annually just like the flu jab is

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The thing is the vaccine is not about eradicating coronavirus, it's about making it less dangerous

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
View attachment 133729

This was probably posted originally by an anti vaxxer. But there is some truth in it. They haven't come up with a completely effective vaccine for the flu, they have come up with a vaccine which is very effective against the flu for about 40% (average) of the people it is given to (CDC figures) but still has to be tweaked every year to account for variants of the flu. It seems that the Covid vaccines will also require continuous tweaking to take into account the way in which the Covid is going to mutate. I think as long as people are realistic about these limitations things will work out and also realise that the Covid jab will probably need to be taken annually just like the flu jab is

Like all anti vax stuff it’s also wrong as seasonal flu isn’t a coronavirus.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
View attachment 133729

Yes and it is also a conveniently forgotten truth that coronavirus vaccines have been made in the past for farm animals. When it makes economic sense they get it done.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Interesting thread on vaccination rates and how ramping them up could alter the picture significantly

[TWEET]1361378546460024839[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1361378554429267974[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1361378557793042434[/TWEET]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting thread on vaccination rates and how ramping them up could alter the picture significantly

[TWEET]1361378546460024839[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1361378554429267974[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1361378557793042434[/TWEET]

She's very good

Great analysis, so all done sometime between mid-July and early Sept assuming supply holds up

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1361959447971643392[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here