Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why wouldn't Pfizer publish it if they had it though?

All matey said was there is data to show it's effective .... I think one of the concerns is not that 12 weeks might render it ineffective, but that the effectiveness diminishes somewhat/moderately/greatly and nothing he said dismisses that concern

maybes they want two dose regime. if efficacy of one dose is >80% why need the booster to 95%.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
maybes they want two dose regime. if efficacy of one dose is >80% why need the booster to 95%.

I'm not so sure ... I've not seen that data either (80-95)

If it were 80 going to 95 then there are huge reasons to do it. The fear is it is x% rising to x% after 21 days but x% rising to a number (not quantified) less than the 21 day x% after 12 weeks.

I'm sticking with the manufacturer. They wouldn't have plucked the 2 days out of thin air and so if that is what they are saying provides maximum immunity then that's what we should be doing, recognising of course that there may be a short term hit but even a small reduction in efficiency by the delayed 2nd could have much greater negative consequences

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Johnson is winging it like everything else. Hope I'm wrong

I don't know how many times I need to say it, Boris Johnson did not come up with the 12 week gap.

If JCVI, who I imagine are pretty good at these things, say it's a better model for our current predicament then we should probably trust them?

Literally anything can be used as an excuse to sling sh1t at Boris Johnson!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't know how many times I need to say it, Boris Johnson did not come up with the 12 week gap.

If JCVI, who I imagine are pretty good at these things, say it's a better model for our current predicament then we should probably trust them?

Literally anything can be used as an excuse to sling sh1t at Boris Johnson!

He is the boss and has ultimate responsibility. Still no country in the world going with 12 weeks...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He is the boss and has ultimate responsibility. Still no country in the world going with 12 weeks...
Will other countries accept our "vaccine passports" if we continue with this rogue 12 week gap dosage schedule ? ???

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Will other countries accept our "vaccine passports" if we continue with this rogue 12 week gap dosage schedule ? ???
I think that when the UK can produce real world data from 66 million people and thousands of cases of coronavirus, analysed between those who had 12-week vaccines and those who didn't, the small scale trial by Pfizer won't be the one and only source of valid information.

The only reason 3 weeks gave the best results is that that was the only trial they have done. They didn't have time for any more. 3 weeks works for most vaccines, they wanted a quick trial anyway, so with this new vaccine like nothing ever previously tried, they decided on a three week trial. There is absolutely no evidence yet that a longer period won't work; there soon will be conclusive evidence one way or the other.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

yes they will. we dont yet know if the vaccine is sterilising (prevents passing on), if it isnt then technically no point to a vaccine passport as everyone with it can potentially carry and transfer to others. by time its an issue we'll have established for certain from field studies what effect 12 week schudule has on efficacy.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
yes they will. we dont yet know if the vaccine is sterilising (prevents passing on), if it isnt then technically no point to a vaccine passport as everyone with it can potentially carry and transfer to others. by time its an issue we'll have established for certain from field studies what effect 12 week schudule has on efficacy.
It almost certainly isn't a sterilising vaccine. But what pretty much all vaccines do is very much reduce the risk of passing it on, because it dramatically reduces the number of virus particles in the body. An unchecked virus multiplies like mad so you have billions of little viruses making you fell ill or die, and those billions are more likely to get out and escape. When you only have a few virus particles, there aren't as many to share.

There is no proof that this vaccine works like most others, but it has to be the working hypothesis.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Pippa Crerar (@PippaCrerar) Tweeted:
Good interview w/ AZ boss Pascal Soriot [MENTION=2735]ant[/MENTION]oguerrera

"The UK one-dose strategy is absolutely the right way to go, at least for our vaccine. The 2nd dose is needed for long term protection. But you get a better efficiency if you get the 2nd dose later."

https://t.co/jnjIMnqC2E
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1354152924717473795?s=20

Good enough for me.

excellent interview in the linked article. ties up and confirms a dozen threads been reading last day or two about the problems in Europe. good insight to the production process and other issues.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My 80yo MiL with COPD and Diabetes finally got an invite yesterday to go to Ticehurst for a jab. She lives in Hailsham. 20 miles away.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pippa Crerar (@PippaCrerar) Tweeted:
Good interview w/ AZ boss Pascal Soriot [MENTION=2735]ant[/MENTION]oguerrera

"The UK one-dose strategy is absolutely the right way to go, at least for our vaccine. The 2nd dose is needed for long term protection. But you get a better efficiency if you get the 2nd dose later."

https://t.co/jnjIMnqC2E
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1354152924717473795?s=20

Good enough for me.

It seems to me that they're trying to treat the AZ and Pfizer vaccines the same, when in reality it seems they likely work in different ways. Which strikes me as an odd way of going about things, maybe hold the Pfizer one back for people it's more important to dose up fully earlier (the very old, those who have shielded and healthcare workers) and leave the AZ one for the rest of us?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Some good new for me and other NSCers on the Novavax trial. Apparently when the efficacy results are released from the phase 3 trial (any day now) they are going to do something called cross blinding where we will receive the opposite jab to the one we received first (50/50 vaccine or placebo) so that we stay in the trial.

Effectively means we will all have received the vaccine and won’t have to wait to be called up by the NHS.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Off to Worthing hospital in a few mins to get my jab. Was very easy to book through work. Took about two minutes. All my colleagues say the process itself is also very quick and efficient.
Very relieved to be getting this. We’ve had a few cases at work now and for the first time since it began I started to get a little didgy about the virus itself.
I am very impressed with how the NHS are smashing the shit out of the vaccination process.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Flippin’ love our NHS. They could not have made it easier or less stressful. Absolutely top work. No queue. Jab took a minute, 15 minute wait after incase you have a reaction , they book your second appointment while you wait. Water and biccies and on your way.
10/10

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Flippin’ love our NHS. They could not have made it easier or less stressful. Absolutely top work. No queue. Jab took a minute, 15 minute wait after incase you have a reaction , they book your second appointment while you wait. Water and biccies and on your way.
10/10

Fantastic.........:bowdown:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
10/10
What type of biscuits?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here