Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sussex Flag

Sussex Flag

We Wunt be Druv
Sep 13, 2010
Sussex
Six gold martlets on a blue field is our county's flag, the "East Sussex" and "West Sussex" flags are unofficial! They are the banners of arms of their respective County Council, and only represent the councils. A County flag can only represent a Traditional/Historic County... i.e. Sussex, NOT "East Sussex" or "West Sussex", as these are ONLY administative areas.

The Sussex flag was adopted officially on 20th May 2011 by the Flag Institute. The Flag Institute manages and maintains the national flag registry of the United Kingdom, and therefore this is now the definitive County Flag of Sussex.

It would be great to see our flag hoisted above The Amex, (of which I am a season ticket holder).

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Six gold martlets on a blue field is our county's flag, the "East Sussex" and "West Sussex" flags are unofficial! They are the banners of arms of their respective County Council, and only represent the councils. A County flag can only represent a Traditional/Historic County... i.e. Sussex, NOT "East Sussex" or "West Sussex", as these are ONLY administative areas.

The Sussex flag was adopted officially on 20th May 2011 by the Flag Institute. The Flag Institute manages and maintains the national flag registry of the United Kingdom, and therefore this is now the definitive County Flag of Sussex.

It would be great to see our flag hoisted above The Amex, (of which I am a season ticket holder).

....and hanging at the back of the North Stand.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
At least the new flag, the blue and yellow version, looks better than the one at the top of the thread...red and blue together, not my favourite combination of colours, hardly the sort of thing you would want to see flying over the AMEX.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
And to do that, no doubt there were have had to be a county wide referendum, costing yet more money.
Just accept it, it is a flag for the whole county ! What's the big deal ? Can't see to many people losing sleep over it.........and let's be honest the main thing on any Sussex flag should be the Martlets and I believe they are there !

let's be honest the main thing on any Sussex flag should be the Martlets and I believe they are there !
The martlets are, indeed, essential. But so is the Saxon crown.

180px-County_Flag_of_East_Sussex.png

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
The seller also has 99.8 % good feed back if that means anything.

Sussex Flag

We Wunt be Druv
Sep 13, 2010
Sussex
The Sussex flag has had backing within local communities, after the county flag was registered by the Flag Institute, I recieved a letter from Cllr Chris Dowling (Chairman of East Sussex County Council), "I look forward to seeing the flag flying over many buildings across our wonderful County." I have also recieved letters endorsing our county flag from, Tim Loughton MP, Norman Baker MP, Amber Rudd MP, Rt. Hon. Francis Maude MP, Rt. Hon. Greg Clark MP, Charles Hendry MP and Caroline Lucus MP. (Who are all elected representatives of Sussex!)

To date, we have sold over 170 Sussex County Flags since June, the vast majority in the East of Sussex.

If you look at the website below, you will be able to see why six gold martlets on a blue field was accepted by the Chief Vexillologist of the Flag Institute as the traditional flag of Sussex. This emblem is at least 400 years old, and is used by many Sussex organisations such as Sussex County Cricket Club, Sussex County Football Association and also features on the village sign of Ringmer.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The Sussex flag has had backing within local communities, after the county flag was registered by the Flag Institute, I recieved a letter from Cllr Chris Dowling (Chairman of East Sussex County Council), "I look forward to seeing the flag flying over many buildings across our wonderful County." I have also recieved letters endorsing our county flag from, Tim Loughton MP, Norman Baker MP, Amber Rudd MP, Rt. Hon. Francis Maude MP, Rt. Hon. Greg Clark MP, Charles Hendry MP and Caroline Lucus MP. (Who are all elected representatives of Sussex!)

To date, we have sold over 170 Sussex County Flags since June, the vast majority in the East of Sussex.

If you look at the website below, you will be able to see why six gold martlets on a blue field was accepted by the Chief Vexillologist of the Flag Institute as the traditional flag of Sussex. This emblem is at least 400 years old, and is used by many Sussex organisations such as Sussex County Cricket Club, Sussex County Football Association and also features on the village sign of Ringmer.

add the Saxon crown to the the top of it, and I'll buy one.

Surely being the South Saxons is the key part of Sussex History

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Let's scrap this idea before it gets legs - Us East Sussexers really don't want to be associated with West Sussex benefit scroungers and craphole towns like Shoreham, Lancing, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton etc. etc.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Us East Sussexers really don't want to be associated with West Sussex benefit scroungers and craphole towns like Shoreham, Lancing, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton etc. etc.

Jesus that is a bit rich, do a comparison with Newhaven, Eastbourne and Hastings and you won't find much difference. Anyway, north of the Downs is where it is at...long live the people of the Weald!!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Jesus that is a bit rich, do a comparison with Newhaven, Eastbourne and Hastings and you won't find much difference.

I'll take those three over anything west of Hove ta very much. Newhaven has a lovely harbour now, Eastbourne is the Sunshine Coast and Hastings.... alright I'll give you Hastings.

:wink:

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Let's scrap this idea before it gets legs - Us East Sussexers really don't want to be associated with West Sussex benefit scroungers and craphole towns like Shoreham, Lancing, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton etc. etc.

Claimant count in West Sussex: 2.9%. Claimant count in East Sussex: 3.9%

Pipe down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here