Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Sussex Flag

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I doubt very much that we will be allowed to fly any flag above the Amex - we aren't even allowed to have Brighton & Hove Albion proudly displayed on the outside for all to see, just a tiny badge shoved up by the roof.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have lived in both East AND West Sussex without moving house (smug)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I've never lived near Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath or East Grinstead (even smugger).
How very dare you...... Bugs Hole and Haywards Heath !!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's not a lot of Albion branding on the stadium. If you drove past not knowing where you are, you might wonder what the place is.

Is there a reason for this? Are we contractually to give Amex prominence? Surely there could be a little more "Albionisation" of the place.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Let's scrap this idea before it gets legs - Us East Sussexers really don't want to be associated with West Sussex benefit scroungers and craphole towns like Shoreham, Lancing, Bognor Regis, Littlehampton etc. etc.

Oi! If you're going to slag off the WEST, at least pick 3 stronger candidates e.g. Crawley, B.Hill and H.H. The above are pure riviera by comparison!!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I was surprised when I learnt how long it had been since Sussex split.

Let us produce a UDI and reform the Kingdom of Sussex. Anyone know if Eadwine has any living descendants?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It would be better to have a flag that has been around longer than three years.

The problem (or maybe it isn't a problem) is that there has been no meaningful single political entity called "Sussex" for well over a thousand years. There are TWO flags - the flag of East Sussex and the flag of West Sussex.

180px-County_Flag_of_East_Sussex.png

180px-Sussex_banner.jpg

Most of the recent clamour for things like Sussex Day and a Sussex flag have been public relations stunts originating with West Sussex County Council. As a proud resident of East Sussex, I say they should shut up.

So I suppose you always sing "Good Old East Sussex by the Sea" when the team comes out? When anyone asks me where I live I say Sussex. Not East Sussex or West Sussex. Just Sussex. Recent changes means that you no longer break Royal Mail instructions if you quote "Sussex" (rather than ES/WS) in your postal address. Let's all take advantage of that.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Could we not just borrow Sussex Cricket Clubs flag in their off season.

Do not believe I have seen a flag pole, perhaps we could fly it from a tempoary light or gaffer tape it up like the North Stand Ultras do.

Attachments

• Club-Flag.jpg
    Club-Flag.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 104

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Six gold martlets on a blue field is our county's flag, the "East Sussex" and "West Sussex" flags are unofficial! They are the banners of arms of their respective County Council, and only represent the councils. A County flag can only represent a Traditional/Historic County... i.e. Sussex, NOT "East Sussex" or "West Sussex", as these are ONLY administative areas.

The Sussex flag was adopted officially on 20th May 2011 by the Flag Institute. The Flag Institute manages and maintains the national flag registry of the United Kingdom, and therefore this is now the definitive County Flag of Sussex.

It would be great to see our flag hoisted above The Amex, (of which I am a season ticket holder).

... without ANY consultation with local communities. They are a member organisation that anyone can join. They are no more "official" than, say, the National Trust.

And your point is ?

At the time this "decision" was being taken, I happened to be an elected local councillor, representing the people who live in our part of Sussex. The least that people are entitled to is to have their elected representatives consulted about things like this.
I think you're seriously overestimating the influence that the local council electorate would want to hand to local councillors. On the other hand, if you feel passionately about a county flag, joining a membership organisation like the flag institute seems like the way to go if you want to impose any sort of influence.

I wouldn't want a local councillor (often little more than a local busy body) to have any more influence on the flag of the county than anyone else. These people are not elected to make this sort of fairly personal, apolitical decision.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
People! People! Stop all this EAST/WEST division bollocks, that's exactly what 'they' (our Norman overlords) want. We are Sussex, one nation indivisible under God with liberty and chicken balti pies for all. Let's re-forge our national identity and proudly raise our standard at the Amex. So what if the flag was designed without some massive 'consultation process'? At least someone has taken the initiative and fair play to them.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What did the Saxons ever do for us?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
People! People! Stop all this EAST/WEST division bollocks, that's exactly what 'they' (our Norman overlords) want. We are Sussex, one nation indivisible under God with liberty and chicken balti pies for all.

Come on everyone lets storm the Amex and gaffer tape a giant flag with martlets to the side of the stadium, on the busy road side for all to see.

Them Norman overlords just loves to wind us all up....charge...

[yt]9V7zbWNznbs[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here