Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stone Roses

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It is a shame you were let down on Friday, maybe you should have gone on Saturday as, mediocre vocals aside, they sounded superb...And this is from someone who squirmed his way to the front so whilst singing along and enjoying myself had the battle to stay on his feet!!

Whilst I understand that is a reply to another poster, I have to add following from what I say above, is that they had everything you have listed and more. There was genuine love flowing in both directions from fans and band. I think may have just been unlucky.

Albion, England & Stone Roses forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

I think it'll have been the same on both nights. Hamilton just wasn't feeling it. I was there on Friday, and loved it.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Went last night, they where epic. Atmosphere was awesome and the Stones where electric.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bollox.

The Smiths.
Buzzcocks.
Magazine.
Joy Division (yeah, really).

+ loads more. Many would say that Liam Gallagher's voice was a great rock and roll voice, especially on the first album.

Look beyond Madchester.

Mark E Smith? :lolol:

You have a point about Gallagher; his vocal on Definately Maybe was spot on and suited the music and lyrics.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went tonight. They were amazing. Happiest crowd and great atmos. Johnny Marr superb support. Only disappoinent was PIL

Why did PIL disappoint? I have only seen them once but I understand if Lydon's in a mood the gig suffers. Thankfully he was fun and playful in Brighton.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Mark E Smith? :lolol:

You have a point about Gallagher; his vocal on Definately Maybe was spot on and suited the music and lyrics.

Mark E Smith's voice is perfect for him. It transcends petty arguments about whether it's good or not. What it is is a voice that will see him good for another 40 years and another 40 band members. His OCD with the mike stands will get worse but he will still be wearing that leather blouson jacket, singing in that inimitable way-ah and he still won't give a f**k about his loyal fanbase.

Agree about Mick Hucknall being about the best Manc voice that I can think of although the bloke from the Hollies was very special. Hucknall has been verified as DEFINITELY one of the people at the Sex Pistols gig that allegedly spawned the North-West scene. Shame he's such a cock who wimped out with some piss poor musical choices.

Paul Morley's biography of Ian Curtis goes into some philosophical depth about Manchester and its inability to escape its industrial past - best exemplified in the band names - utilitarian, heavy and with much hidden meaning. Liverpool on the other hand was always a bit dreamlike - OMD, Teardrop Explodes, Echo and the Bunnymen, Mighty Wah...and I hate to say it but the scousers regularly had better singers than the Mancs. Pete Wylie, Ian Brodie off the tops of my head - not the greatest singers but still better than most Manc frontmen.

I recommend the book to anyone interested in that era of Eric's nightclub, Morrissey's letters to NME,, Morley's fanzines and the Zang Tuum Tuum label. He was dragged by Anthony H Wilson to see Curtis's body because Wilson insisted that Morley would one day write the definitive book on the era - Morley's father had killed himself 6 months before so there was always going to be lots of connections.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A question for those who went to see the Roses - do you honestly think they will make this new album we were all promised?

I won't go to see them for several reasons - having seen other musical heroes, The Specials, perform a cynical money-making gig that killed a part of why I love them and given the Roses are notoriously slow in new material AND given that less than a year before Ian Brown was still raging and ranting about the rest of the band on his My Way album - he wrote this:

Bye bye, all the mercenaries
Bye bye, you sold your soul
So high, our beautiful eyes can see
How high, how far we've flown

Everything is in its place and all is of it's time
I think it's so funny I left you so far behind
You might have another story but I can see your smile
Money it don't buy you love, redemption, hope or style

...and then the promise of a lot of money seems to have changed his mind very quickly. Sorry but I love his music but won't pay to see him perform when he's so clearly a hypocrite about it. Fair do's to those that did go and hoped you had a good time. I can't see a new album coming out any time soon though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mark E Smith's voice is perfect for him.

Totally agree. Did you see my post about the Smith tale Sarah heard on Radio 6? Very funny and sure you'll like it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'll go back and read right now.

As an aside, there are certain bands you go and see despite knowing there's a good chance it will be bad. Van Morrison may well storm out, Chuck Berry plays for exactly the length he's paid for and not a minute more and Axl Rose is as likely not to turn up at all.

Stars like Winehouse, ME Smith, Bobby Gillespie you'd go to watch because there's a good chance that they'd do something that goes down in folklore and you can say 'I Was There'.

Everyone knows Ian Brown can't sing but by God that bloke has stage presence. Other bands like Massive Attack I wouldn't even bother to watch as they are so crap live.

Edit - can't find the post, sorry. Any chance you can post a link?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll go back and read right now.

As an aside, there are certain bands you go and see despite knowing there's a good chance it will be bad. Van Morrison may well storm out, Chuck Berry plays for exactly the length he's paid for and not a minute more and Axl Rose is as likely not to turn up at all.

Stars like Winehouse, ME Smith, Bobby Gillespie you'd go to watch because there's a good chance that they'd do something that goes down in folklore and you can say 'I Was There'.

Everyone knows Ian Brown can't sing but by God that bloke has stage presence.

Other bands like Massive Attack I wouldn't even bother to watch as they are so crap live.

True. Don't forget Bob Dylan. His shows are quite erratic and mood dependent according to a friend who has seen him umpteen times. I have seen him once, but mainly just saw his back as be spent most of the show facing away from the crowd.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm doing him a great disservice but I've never heard a single Dylan song that someone hasn't covered and made it better*

*except Subterranean Homesick Blues - although Sizzla's reggae version gives it a good run for its money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm doing him a great disservice but I've never heard a single Dylan song that someone hasn't covered and made it better*

*except Subterranean Homesick Blues - although Sizzla's reggae version gives it a good run for its money.

Hmmmmmm. My favourite Dylan song is Hurricane. A classic folk-protest song. I have just looked up covers of this and it's Ani DeFranco, Middle Class Rut and The Milltown Brothers. All I know about Ani is what she looks like, never heard of MCR and surely The Milltown Brothers not being a patch on the original?

Jimmy Grimble

I'm too young to have seen the Roses in the 80s/90s, all I know is the two gigs I've seen of them over the last year I have never been in crowds that have had such a good group of people to be around whilst enjoying what are many truly brilliant songs. Couldn't give a toss if they're doing it for the money, fame or what. All I know is both gigs have served me with fantastic memories with some fantastic people that I'll never forget. Stoned Loveeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
A question for those who went to see the Roses - do you honestly think they will make this new album we were all promised?

I won't go to see them for several reasons - having seen other musical heroes, The Specials, perform a cynical money-making gig that killed a part of why I love them and given the Roses are notoriously slow in new material AND given that less than a year before Ian Brown was still raging and ranting about the rest of the band on his My Way album - he wrote this:

Bye bye, all the mercenaries
Bye bye, you sold your soul
So high, our beautiful eyes can see
How high, how far we've flown

Everything is in its place and all is of it's time
I think it's so funny I left you so far behind
You might have another story but I can see your smile
Money it don't buy you love, redemption, hope or style

...and then the promise of a lot of money seems to have changed his mind very quickly. Sorry but I love his music but won't pay to see him perform when he's so clearly a hypocrite about it. Fair do's to those that did go and hoped you had a good time. I can't see a new album coming out any time soon though.

To be fair despite, stating they were writing and recording new stuff they have not actually promised any new album. That said, they have signed a record deal so I imagine the ultimate goal is to issue some new releases at somepoint.

Another thing the band has said is that they will only go with new material if they think it is good enough which does suggest they are not going to put stuff out for the sake of it. For the moment, they seem content to milk the old classics and who can blame them!

As for the whole reunion I do not think it is all down to money even though they must be coining it in at present. The reason there has been repeated denials is because Squire and Brown had not seen each other for years...All this changed when they met at the funeral for Mani's mum where they met-up and started getting on like the old days. During the comeback press conference Brown said they get offered big quids to reform at least twice a year, every year but they decline these offers so it shows they could have done this anytime...If Ian and John had not seen each other at the aforementioned funeral I doubt The Stone Roses would be back together...

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

We had that very same conversation on Friday and the general consensus was no probably not.

We went both nights and Saturday was better than Friday IMO. I really like some of the Courteeners stuff but the looked a bit lost on such a big stage. Dizzy Whatshisface isn't my bag at all but he went down pretty well which surprised me a bit. Sound wasn't great on either night but it's an open air gig so it's never likely to be. As for Brown's vocals it's hardly front page news that the chap can't sing. Johnny Marr was excellent on Saturday but mainly because of the Smiths covers he did. The place was rocking PiL were dreadful but I wasn't expecting anything from them.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
To be fair despite, stating they were writing and recording new stuff they have not actually promised any new album. That said, they have signed a record deal so I imagine the ultimate goal is to issue some new releases at somepoint.

Another thing the band has said is that they will only go with new material if they think it is good enough which does suggest they are not going to put stuff out for the sake of it. For the moment, they seem content to milk the old classics and who can blame them!

As for the whole reunion I do not think it is all down to money even though they must be coining it in at present. The reason there has been repeated denials is because Squire and Brown had not seen each other for years...All this changed when they met at the funeral for Mani's mum where they met-up and started getting on like the old days. During the comeback press conference Brown said they get offered big quids to reform at least twice a year, every year but they decline these offers so it shows they could have done this anytime...If Ian and John had not seen each other at the aforementioned funeral I doubt The Stone Roses would be back together...

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Ian Browns divorce settlement had as much to do with the reunion as Manis mum funeral unfortunately.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I went on Saturday. Deliberately didn't bother with any support but caught the end of PiL who I just pity. John Lydon was wearing an alpaca poncho.

A few notes on the Roses:

- Overall it was great. Had a really good time, and some of the songs played were just fantastic.
- The place was full of absolute bellends.
- (Unrelated to above) There were loads of Palace there.
- I hated mod haircuts back in the 90's. Now, on the wizened face of a paraletic 45 year old I hate them even more.
- Ian Brown not half as bad as I thought he would be.
- All 4 looked a bit confused as to why they were even there.

Would recommend to see them live though...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I went on Saturday. Deliberately didn't bother with any support but caught the end of PiL who I just pity. John Lydon was wearing an alpaca poncho.

A few notes on the Roses:

- Overall it was great. Had a really good time, and some of the songs played were just fantastic.
- The place was full of absolute bellends.
- (Unrelated to above) There were loads of Palace there.
- I hated mod haircuts back in the 90's. Now, on the wizened face of a paraletic 45 year old I hate them even more.
- Ian Brown not half as bad as I thought he would be.
- All 4 looked a bit confused as to why they were even there.

Would recommend to see them live though...

Bad drugs ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here