Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stone Roses

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
I went on Saturday. Deliberately didn't bother with any support but caught the end of PiL who I just pity. John Lydon was wearing an alpaca poncho.

A few notes on the Roses:

- Overall it was great. Had a really good time, and some of the songs played were just fantastic.
- The place was full of absolute bellends.
- (Unrelated to above) There were loads of Palace there.
- I hated mod haircuts back in the 90's. Now, on the wizened face of a paraletic 45 year old I hate them even more.
- Ian Brown not half as bad as I thought he would be.
- All 4 looked a bit confused as to why they were even there.

Would recommend to see them live though...

haha re the horror of a mod haircut on a craggy old Pirlo face - Heaton Park was a real site, some of the gnarled jocks......jeez

Dandyman

In London village.
I went on Saturday. Deliberately didn't bother with any support but caught the end of PiL who I just pity. John Lydon was wearing an alpaca poncho.

A few notes on the Roses:

- Overall it was great. Had a really good time, and some of the songs played were just fantastic.
- The place was full of absolute bellends.
- (Unrelated to above) There were loads of Palace there.
- I hated mod haircuts back in the 90's. Now, on the wizened face of a paraletic 45 year old I hate them even more.
- Ian Brown not half as bad as I thought he would be.
- All 4 looked a bit confused as to why they were even there.

Would recommend to see them live though...

Fair amount of truth in that, although I did not see that many Palarse. There were a surprising number of Weller look-alikes.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Ian Browns divorce settlement had as much to do with the reunion as Manis mum funeral unfortunately.

I do not think so. Ian Brown has carved out a respectable solo career so if he was that desperate for cash he would just write another album. If Brown and Squire had not met at the funeral and more importantly, got on with each other I doubt there would be any reunion of any sort.

Albion, England & Stone Roses forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Why did PIL disappoint? I have only seen them once but I understand if Lydon's in a mood the gig suffers. Thankfully he was fun and playful in Brighton.

Lots of reasons. He misjudged the crowd - gobbing off like the old days, but sounded embarrassing knowing he has sold out to anchor butter ads and I'm a celebrity crap. Meant people started leaving in droves, which turned his mood off and downhill from there. His voice sounded worse than usual and all very boring and luck lustre

My personal view is that they are definitely better in small, intimate venues

Can't have been easy following Johnny Marr though

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ian Browns divorce settlement had as much to do with the reunion as Manis mum funeral unfortunately.

Ah. I had heard about the meeting at the funeral but not this. Perhaps I'm doing the great man a huge disservice then.

I do not think so. Ian Brown has carved out a respectable solo career so if he was that desperate for cash he would just write another album. If Brown and Squire had not met at the funeral and more importantly, got on with each other I doubt there would be any reunion of any sort.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Maybe..maybe not. I don't know Brown's financial situation at all so am speculating but Brown can be a right lazy bugger at times and a Stone Roses tour is a cash cow that generates far more money than his solo work ever would and doesn't require a lot of artistic input. He averages an album every 3 or so years and we're due another soon. I reckon sales for that and the subsequent tour will be buoyed by the exposure from the reunion gigs.

And if he needs still more dosh perhaps he ought to get in touch with Adidas again for another limited edition set of trainers. And if I could ever get my hands on one of those Adidas Ethiopia tracksuit tops.......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And if I could ever get my hands on one of those Adidas Ethiopia tracksuit tops.......

That was a gift from Heile Gabreselesie, the Ethiopian long distance runner. It was very cool wasnt it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lots of reasons. He misjudged the crowd - gobbing off like the old days, but sounded embarrassing knowing he has sold out to anchor butter ads and I'm a celebrity crap. Meant people started leaving in droves, which turned his mood off and downhill from there. His voice sounded worse than usual and all very boring and luck lustre

My personal view is that they are definitely better in small, intimate venues

Can't have been easy following Johnny Marr though

That sounds crap. It is a shame he acts like this. As I say in Brighton he was fun and playful, why can't be be like this all the time?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That was a gift from Heile Gabreselesie, the Ethiopian long distance runner. It was very cool wasnt it?

I didn't know that. Excellent piece of music trivia, ta. And yes.....it's ice cool and just about the best trackie top I've ever seen. Talking of ice...I once met Ian Brown at the Big Chill Bar in Brick Lane although to my shame I recognised Don Letts who he was with first. And did I thank Ian Brown for how much enjoyment his music had given me? No - I decided to tell him how much I hated his team Man U - and then I got thrown out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn't know that. Excellent piece of music trivia, ta. And yes.....it's ice cool and just about the best trackie top I've ever seen. Talking of ice...I once met Ian Brown at the Big Chill Bar in Brick Lane although to my shame I recognised Don Letts who he was with first. And did I thank Ian Brown for how much enjoyment his music had given me? No - I decided to tell him how much I hated his team Man U - and then I got thrown out.

Brilliant.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Maybe..maybe not. I don't know Brown's financial situation at all so am speculating but Brown can be a right lazy bugger at times and a Stone Roses tour is a cash cow that generates far more money than his solo work ever would and doesn't require a lot of artistic input. He averages an album every 3 or so years and we're due another soon. I reckon sales for that and the subsequent tour will be buoyed by the exposure from the reunion gigs.

And if he needs still more dosh perhaps he ought to get in touch with Adidas again for another limited edition set of trainers. And if I could ever get my hands on one of those Adidas Ethiopia tracksuit tops.......

Oh I agree that the come-back is a cash cow, they have made absolute bundles. Mani said that just after announcement they were back together he went to the cash-point to get some money for a pint of milk and found someone had put £2m into his account! God knows how much more cash has been dumped into each band-members account since then.

I just cannot see how if Ian & John had not met and started seeing each other again there would be no Roses reunion...And bearing in mind the acrimonious nature of the split, why would the others re-form just to help Brown out of some supposed financial bother? Reni has not been seen for years and Squire has disappeared into his artwork, it is only Mani who has voiced any sorted of positivity towards the Roses resurrecting.

And yes, being a fan of cool looking tracksuit tops, I too loved the Adidas Ethiopian edition...

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here