Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Stone Roses

Jimmy Grimble

Went to the Komedia tonight to see the Shane Meadows documentary. Absolutely awesome, would recommend it to any Roses fan.

As for live performances. Saw them in Brighton in '95, my worst gig ever. Ian Brown can't sing a note. The band should be much tighter tomorrow but Ian Brown will always disappoint

Also went to this tonight! Really enjoyed it, but felt the end was a bit a of a let down.

Everyone knows Brown is a pony singer, that's not the point of the Roses. Cannot wait for tomorrow :thumbsup:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Anyone who saw them at Reading in 1996 (just google 'worst festival gig ever') would have told you that! Told peeps buying tickets for these gigs how terrible they were back then, particularly Ian Brown's vocals... but would they listen? Not a chance.

No Reni or John Squire for that Reading gig. Of course they would be shit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just got back - didn't know you were going, Hamilton. And how did you get back so early?

Now...Ian Brown is not a good singer, but that barely mattered, as he was drowned out by the crowd anyway. And when you've got Reni on drums, Mani on bass and John Squire on guitar, this is enough to make Ian's vocal difficulties unimportant.

Hamilton, from your earlier post it would seem that you went with a negative attitude in the first place. I had a great time, and it was fantastic to see them again, especially with such a celebratory atmosphere. The songs are still great, and they played them brilliantly. Resurrection, Breaking into Heaven, Made of Stone and This is the One were particular highlights, but bar a couple of odd song choices early on, most of it was hugely enjoyable.

So my advice if you're going tomorrow is to disregard Hamilton's advice!

How were the support bands?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I went and it wasnt bad at all after we barged ourselves nearish the front. Like all London gigs it was nowhere near loud enough, and anyone expecting an Ian Brown lesson in vocal perfection clearly forgot what band they were going to see.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

We went after work, so only arrived in time for Dizzee...as you'd expect he was a good laugh, and he's always good for a sing-along (rap-along?) As Dan alluded to above, he wasn't loud enough and the Roses could have done with the volume being cranked up a bit. Ian Brown's mic was turned right down so that it was difficult to hear whether he was crap or not, which was obviously a sensible decision.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
It's all about cashing in for them now. No passion last night at all and really felt as though they were going through the motions.

Agree re: the sound - could barely hear stuff at times but the wind didn't help

We left 30 mins before the end as we're somewhat disappointed. I think if you didn't see them at Heaton park you'll enjoy it, otherwise sell your ticket - though be warned the touts were selling for a fiver!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It's all about cashing in for them now. No passion last night at all and really felt as though they were going through the motions.

We left 30 mins before the end as we're somewhat disappointed. I think if you didn't see them at Heaton park you'll enjoy it, otherwise sell your ticket - though be warned the touts were selling for a fiver!

You must have been a long way back.

The passion was definitely there, and having spent all that money I can't believe that you left half an hour before the end...before they played most of their best stuff!

Still, each to their own

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Only caught the end of Dizzee Rascal and he seemed to be enjoying himself.

Hello Pogue. Sorry we disagree.

For me the only saving grace was Reni who looked like he cared. Mani looked like a rabbit in the headlights - seriously, he looked like he'd been told at the last moment that he had to go on. Squires looked like he had better things to do (and the sound balance was so bad that I lost so much of his guitar work.)

As for Brown. I wouldn't say he's not a good singer. I'd say he's not a singer. Hope he mimes tonight.

I feared this have read HT's post and then googling the reviews.

I left early to avoid the rush. It meant I missed I am the Resurrection, but at least I missed Brown murdering it and won't have the memory.

If you are going tonight, and you do wish to disregard my advice and keep your ticket rather than tout it, then do this - get plastered! Or buy some "room odourisor" and see if it distorts the sound back.

Ps Pogue has good taste so there's always two points of view. Look at it this way. I'm doing you a favor and managing expectations downwards.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
You must have been a long way back.

The passion was definitely there, and having spent all that money I can't believe that you left half an hour before the end...before they played most of their best stuff!

Still, each to their own

Like I say - if hadn't seen them at Heaton prob would have been more excited an stayed till the end. We were at the side rather than the back and the wind was blowing the sound around quite a bit which I think is why we couldn't hear much.

Good day out - so glad I got a ticket - but my mate and I both said that's it now until they do some new stuff as its getting all a bit karaoke now

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Only caught the end of Dizzee Rascal and he seemed to be enjoying himself.

Hello Pogue. Sorry we disagree.

For me the only saving grace was Reni who looked like he cared. Mani looked like a rabbit in the headlights - seriously, he looked like he'd been told at the last moment that he had to go on. Squires looked like he had better things to do (and the sound balance was so bad that I lost so much of his guitar work.)

As for Brown. I wouldn't say he's not a good singer. I'd say he's not a singer. Hope he mimes tonight.

I feared this have read HT's post and then googling the reviews.

I left early to avoid the rush. It meant I missed I am the Resurrection, but at least I missed Brown murdering it and won't have the memory.

If you are going tonight, and you do wish to disregard my advice and keep your ticket rather than tout it, then do this - get plastered! Or buy some "room odourisor" and see if it distorts the sound back.

Ps Pogue has good taste so there's always two points of view. Look at it this way. I'm doing you a favor and managing expectations downwards.

Mani always looks like that. You should've seen him at the Screamadelica gig at the Brighton Centre! Something has made him look constantly paranoid. I can't imagine what...

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Lol do you sit in the east stand and leave on 80 mins as well? I went last night closeish yo front plenty of passion thought the were great waterfall, thisis the one and ressurection highlihghts which if you left with 30 mins to go you would have missed. They were up for it abd celebrated on stage at the end. Like previous posters if u expect a virtuoso singing performance from Ian Brown then you don't know the roses its not about the singing.

I thought it was a great gig and any one going tonight will have a great time unless you decide to leave 30 mins before the end:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Lol do you sit in the east stand and leave on 80 mins as well? I went last night closeish yo front plenty of passion thought the were great waterfall, thisis the one and ressurection highlihghts which if you left with 30 mins to go you would have missed. They were up for it abd celebrated on stage at the end. Like previous posters if u expect a virtuoso singing performance from Ian Brown then you don't know the roses its not about the singing.

I thought it was a great gig and any one going tonight will have a great time unless you decide to leave 30 mins before the end:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Funny - there were hoards of other people leaving the same time I did so wonder what their reason was?

I think we'll just have to agree the opinion is split - some on here saying it was good, others saying it wasn't. I'm just saying personally I thought it wasn't good and clearly thousands of other people thought the same

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Went to the Komedia tonight to see the Shane Meadows documentary. Absolutely awesome, would recommend it to any Roses fan.

As for live performances. Saw them in Brighton in '95, my worst gig ever. Ian Brown can't sing a note. The band should be much tighter tomorrow but Ian Brown will always disappoint

I really enjoyed them in Brighton 95 but I didn't expect Ian Brown to sing like Ramin Karimloo.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
truism that all the great manc bands have lacked a front man with proper pipes

Brown the worst by a mile still

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
truism that all the great manc bands have lacked a front man with proper pipes

Brown the worst by a mile still

Bollox.

The Smiths.
Buzzcocks.
Magazine.
Joy Division (yeah, really).

+ loads more. Many would say that Liam Gallagher's voice was a great rock and roll voice, especially on the first album.

Look beyond Madchester.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here