Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Specials or Madness

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
On that basis, Brighton are the three Times champions of Europe as we beat Man United last week
Oh I do love a 'better band' willy waving competition.

Although I am not sure I follow your logic here. Specials did some ace ska covers, then Gerry Dammers wrote a series of exquisite innovative tracks, with Ghost Town a work of art. Madness did some nice ska covers then made a long career from crooning nice pop songs (I like them). Gerry went mad, and Suggs married the lovely Betty Bright.

So for tumescence....? Winner!

1696185031403.png

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It isn't a competition and I would argue that Madness's lean towards the comedic has led to them being underrated as a quirky singles band. Some of their finest moments are up there with Ray Davies and Ian Dury's masterful portraits of English life. Stuff like Embarassment & Our House are like little Mike Leigh films.

However, the question reminds me of this lovely story that was told on Twitter last December after the awful news of Terry Hall's death:

That's f***ing magic, If it hadn't been for madness, and the Specials I quite possibly wouldn't be anywhere as near as enthusiastic about music . . . It was my music, not my parents, and I still love it.

In fact I'm eyeing up a new guitar as I type ;-)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That's f***ing magic, If it hadn't been for madness, and the Specials I quite possibly wouldn't be anywhere as near as enthusiastic about music . . . It was my music, not my parents, and I still love it.

In fact I'm eyeing up a new guitar as I type ;-)
Well at least get the right number of strings this time :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can see me and @Harry Wilson's tackle falling out again (and probably @Tom Hark Preston Park as well), but I always felt punk was too middle class studenty, art college, teenage angst, (see also Smiths for @El Presidente ) but ska hit in my late teens and was absolutely brilliant, with these two at the forefront :thumbsup:
Different strokes.

There were art school punk acolytes but (and I speak from authority as a former Chelsea College alumnus, across the road from the Chelsea art school WANKER pit), there was no art school cred involvement here. It was, at St Martin's, which was basically a place where you could buy drugs and scope a squat. No credible punk was a proper art school person. One of the Molesters was registered for Brighton art school, but she decided to not attend. An ex flat mate (some time later)

Ironically the Clash were sneered at for art schoolery, but that was Rhodes wasn't it? The art school students were NOT the audience. The basic phenotype was neurodivergent and angry. I still am :lolol:. We were surprisingly heterogenous, too.

However....if you enjoyed some music and some gigs you were a winner, whatever it was (I still sneaked off for Peter Hammill, Nils Lofgren and Tom Petty in the late 70s, and my eyeliner was disregarded by the hairies, and so it goes).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Specials for me as they captured a moment in time.
Early madness were right up there but have diluted over the years.
But the Specials weren't around long enough to dilute.
Madness for me although the Specials did some good stuff

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Never got The Specials and wasn't overfussed with Madness either.... but Madness just edge it for "Michael Caine "

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
But the Specials weren't around long enough to dilute.
Madness for me although the Specials did some good stuff
Exactly, Madness carried on and became a parody of themselves. The Specials did what they did and then went their separate ways.
I’ve seen both live twice, (not first time around) and Madness lost the crowd when they started doing their later stuff. Saw the Specials when they reformed at the home coming gig at the Ricoh, amazing performance, full of energy from start to finish.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
My goodness, a simple 'which music do you enjoy'? gets taken over by by the Nietzsche polis.

Music is, and should be, a straightforward pleasure of enjoyment.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Specials were a bit depressing (althought possibly better).

Madness were more fun.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Both relevant and byproducts of their time, and geographical areas, which meant their output and outlook were different.
for example the Specials were gritty and politically speaking about day today struggles, Madness had the cheeky cockney shite going on, but where they both combined was songs about race and the issues around it that were so prevalent at the time.
Specials with concrete jungle, being chased by the national front
Madness your an embarrassment, both sublime

and that’s coming from someone at the time, was being chased by young two tone kids wanting to cut my quiff off…
I could have saved them the bother, it disappeared of its own accord twenty years later

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Both incredible bands. Seen them both live and loved them both as long as I’ve supported the Albion. Almost impossible to say but as you ask, Madness, just.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
As a 9 year old, Madness, baggy trousers, house of fun, then swiftly onto the Specials, so both, quite different bands really.
That’s surprising of you as I remember both of us being madness fans along with Ian h.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Lucky to have seen both. Both brilliant, seminal bands in their own right but The Specials edge it for me. The opening bars of Gangster fill me with a visceral pleasure!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here