Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Specials or Madness

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Oh lord what sort of question’s that this time of the morning?

Funny enough I’m presently listening to Tchaikovsky’s Swan Lake (I kid you not) that of course takes me back to that great first album.

Thing with Madness is the singles have been played to death. I still listen to many of the Album tracks. In The Middle Of The Night, Close Escape, Mrs Hutchinson to name just a few. The Liberty of Norton Folgate is outstanding.

Specials are great, but Madness edge it for me.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Jerry Dammers formed The Specials and started Two Tone records, I don't think you get Madness without The Specials.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Specials for me as they captured a moment in time.
Early madness were right up there but have diluted over the years.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Saw the Specials with Madness and Selector at the Top Rank , 81 , can't remember the exact year now .
The Specials were in a class of their own , Madness had a NF following that night which was unfortunately not unusual at gigs in those days

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Madness by a distance for me based on the sheer amount of high quality songs although I do conceded that The Specials are ‘cooler’ and more ‘serious’. I think Madness are the better musicians but not lyricists.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It isn't a competition and I would argue that Madness's lean towards the comedic has led to them being underrated as a quirky singles band. Some of their finest moments are up there with Ray Davies and Ian Dury's masterful portraits of English life. Stuff like Embarassment & Our House are like little Mike Leigh films.

However, the question reminds me of this lovely story that was told on Twitter last December after the awful news of Terry Hall's death:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here