Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Specials or Madness

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Specials for me altho I liked Madness a lot. Thought Madness were more of a fun band whereas Specials had a message.
Not at the time they weren't, despite what their loveable wacky videos might suggest. They had a really vile skinhead following who invariably put a major damper on any gig. As the badge of the day put it 'Nazis Are No Fun'

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Madness were a 'created' band
I don't know where you've got that from. Madness were 'The North London Invaders' for a few years before the name change and signing to 2 Tone for one single. They weren't at all 'created'. They were a bunch of friends. Far more than The Specials who were a group of disparate characters put together by Dammers.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
twotone brighton 1979.jpg

Brighton Beach 1979

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Specials for me altho I liked Madness a lot. Thought Madness were more of a fun band whereas Specials had a message.
That sums it up precisely. I don't need my music to preach or be overtly political so it's Madness for me.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As a 9 year old, Madness, baggy trousers, house of fun, then swiftly onto the Specials, so both, quite different bands really.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I don't know where you've got that from. Madness were 'The North London Invaders' for a few years before the name change and signing to 2 Tone for one single. They weren't at all 'created'. They were a bunch of friends. Far more than The Specials who were a group of disparate characters put together by Dammers.
Plucked out from a dark hole! I didn't like Madness, found it all so poppy and fabricated to be popular. No substance to the created comment.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My memory might be playing tricks on me but I'm sure I saw Madness at the Art College in Grand Parade in around 1979/80 but there's no mention of it on their concert archives page (https://www.concertarchives.org/bands/madness?page=37#concert-table).
Anyone remember ?
Never heard anything about them playing there, that concert archive site isn’t spot on imo….I’ve looked at other bands on there and gigs are missing.
They also mention Madness playing in 1968 :facepalm:
Madness did play the Brighton Centre in Dec 1980 and did a big tour that year, if they did play the Art College it was probably 79. But as mentioned on this thread they did the 2 Tone tour in 79.

Edit- You are correct, found a better site…..October 79 played at Brighton Polytechnic

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Specials were of their time, but Madness have stood the test of time, so it’s the Nutty Boys for me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never heard anything about them playing there, that concert archive site isn’t spot on imo….I’ve looked at other bands on there and gigs are missing.
They also mention Madness playing in 1968 :facepalm:
Madness did play the Brighton Centre in Dec 1980 and did a big tour that year, if they did play the Art College it was probably 79. But as mentioned on this thread they did the 2 Tone tour in 79.

Edit- You are correct, found a better site…..October 79 played at Brighton Polytechnic

@happypig I saw Madness play there (Poly) and it was full on skinhead wanker agro. I seem to recall Madness also at the Top rank. I saw the Specials 3 times in Brighton as far as I recall.

Derailing the thread....anyone see Daddy Yum Yum at the poly, late 70s? I still have my 'Daddy Yum Yum save my soul' pencil. Yesterday's wordle answer reminded me of that :LOL:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Specials were of their time, but Madness have stood the test of time, so it’s the Nutty Boys for me.
You could easily replace Specials with Beatles, and Madness with the Legendary Pink Dots, if band longevity is your yardstick.

(As it happens I much prefer the dots :lolol: :thumbsup: )

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I was into both (at the time I was more a fan of Madness) but the Specials always seemed far cooler and more authentic, so now I'd say the Specials.

If anyone gets chance though, have a look on YouTube at 'The Prince' video. What I'd have given to be one of them at that time...

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
The Specials followed by the early madness stuff for me.

Well there's a man I know
At least I used to years ago
I didn't really mind
He used to come round all the time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here