Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The show your appreciation thread - KIT NAPIER.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Kit was my first hero. I trained my missus to chant his name.

Remember the goal he scored (off his knee, the reports said afterwards) in that vital game at home to Bournemouth in 1972?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
My memories of Kit Napier:
The goal he scored from about 30 yards out in his first game ( 5-2 win against Peterborough)
The goal scored direct from a corner
Tha hat-trick away at Mansfield ( Aug 1971) - I hitch-hiked to the game and back , left Brighton 8pm Friday and arrived home at Midday on Sunday, got threatened by a bunch of Mansfield skinheads, but Kit's goals made it all worthwhile

I e-mailed him about 4 years ago when we were having problems with obtaining planning permission for the new stadium, and he replied saying he had fond memories of his time at Brighton and wishing us all the best. In my eyes he is a true Albion legend and should be invited over for the opening game at Falmer

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
If you've still got him on email then please send him the link to this thread so he can see that he's still fondly remembered.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
A ha, A later pic from 71'72 as compared to Severnside's pic of the young Kit circa 67. Anyone got one with him and his trendy, late 60's beard?.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Here you go, happy days...

Attachments

• TEam.JPG
    TEam.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 296

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Kit Napier - clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap - Kit Napier - clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap-clap.

I thought he was a touch of class. The goals from corners were not flukes either. I would love to have some special tales - but there are people with better memory than me.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Kit Napier,skilled classy player....saw him score loads of goals.Seemed to be a good straightforward,modest guy!:clap:

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
Kit was class. The only thing that prevented him from playing at a higher level was a lack of grit at times. I can remember standing on the old east terrace and watching him take 3 corners in quick succession- scored with one, hit the bar with another and had the third headed off the goal line! Doesn't he hold the post war record for total number of goals scored in an Albion career?

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Seem to recall on a typical winter muddy Goldstone pitch he would always come off looking very clean compared to the mud stained kit of most of his team mates. But while he may not have put himself about that much he had an eye for goal. And yes that goal against Chesterfield and the corners were very memorable.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
He scored more than one direct from a corner. One was definatly v Bury, I might have to look up the other. yes, I believe the chesterfield keep was Alan Stevenson, who was later signed by burnly when they were Div 1 (in old money).

Great team pic, this was pre 72'73 and it's rather sad as it's the team that won promotion with such flair but saward was to decimate the team by shipping out stalwarts in the Napiers, Turner & Henderson. There must have been a good 800 games amoung those 4 and we were doomed to relegation without them.

From memory i make that, back row l to r, Goodwin, K Napier, Henderson, Dovey, Bromley, Powney, Spearitt, Templeman, J Napier.
Middle, Yaxley, Murray, Gall, Irvine, Saward, Beamish, Lutton, O'Sullivan & ? (Dobson?)
Front were the youngsters and I think the 1st 2 are Piper & Towner, who both went on toi become 1st teamers.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
He scored from a corner twice-both times in 1969.

The first was against Barrow in Feb/March; the second v Bury in the Christmas game that year...yeah I know, great local derby!

Both were in the North goal.

On at least one other occasion (Bradford City Jan 70), a direct corner goal was disallowed. Guess referees couldn't quite believe it either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here