Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The show your appreciation thread - KIT NAPIER.

nawtygully

Aug 6, 2010
oh my god kit napier one of my all time favorites an abosolute legend thanks kit i was about 7 when first see you and i too am well over 50! good luck kit whatever your doing now :albion2:

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Wow...I remember the diving header v Bournemouth at Christmas '71. That must be right up there in the great goals scored at the Goldstone.

Also an early example of dragging a defender out of position to allow Dave Turner to steam through to score against Chelsea in the 1967 cup tie.

And if this is really Kit Napier, should Tawse's disallowed winner v Chelsea have stood? ???

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Kit was a great player in he's time, hope he has a long and Good retirement.

Last edited:

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
My wife says he was her first football idol too. This is a scan from a poster that she had.

Great pic, my favourite all time Albion team. I went to an away game at Walsall around that time and spent the return journey from New Street to Euston in the train bar with Eddie Spearitt, Alan Gilliver and a few players including Ron Davies from another South Coast club, who were returning from Stoke. Eddie Spearitt was excellent company, but Gilliver kept talking about his medical condition, which he referred to as "Brewers Droop", mind you it didn't stop him drinking.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Kit in here too

Attachments

• 1971-72squad.jpg
    1971-72squad.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 214

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Very skilful player....a cut above most strikers around our divisions in those days.Incredible corner taker too!
Wow,what a long time ago,tho'!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Hey Kit, don't leave it there!

This really is quite a coup and Im sure the local media will be fishing for a story (incidentally Vinnicombe is still alive). Come back and give us some tales of the old days.

Even my bus driver this morning remembers you!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Hey Kit, don't leave it there!

This really is quite a coup and Im sure the local media will be fishing for a story (incidentally Vinnicombe is still alive). Come back and give us some tales of the old days.

Even my bus driver this morning remembers you!

Did my first work experience under John Vinnicombe back in I guess 1972.... having collected loads of Kit Napier pix from the back page and he autographed at least two of them .... so what the feck am I doing editing a paper in North Wales... the Arsegas was a great paper back then

Malcolm Green

Apr 10, 2011
I remember a rather strange goal that Kit scored for the Albion. I am not sure who it was against but it was in front of the south stand at the Goldstone. We had a corner and as the ball came over there was a lot of pushing and shoving and there was a goal mouth scrap invoving several players. The game came to a stop and the referee had to sort out the squabbles. The goalie at the moment placed the ball in front of the goal almost on the goal line, As calm was returned Kit realised that no whistle had actually been blown to stop the game so he cheekily ran up to the ball and simply tapped it into the empty net. the referee gave the goal despite protests from the defending team. It must have been Kit's easiest goal he ever scored. But full credit to his awareness.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
One of my first favourite players. Scored at least one goal at the Goldstone direct from a corner and another virtually from the half way line. Effectively replaced by Barry Bridges if I remember rightly, and Barry was a total failure. Never was sure if he was too good for us or past it when he arrived, but we went on the losing run that took us back to old Div 3. But Kit was one of my first hero's.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Great player in his day, but Fred Binney was the only striker that we've ever had that was better than Ruud Van Nistelrooy at his peak.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Great thread this - prompted some brilliant memories!

As a young fan at The Goldstone in the late 60's / early 70's I recall the anticipation in the crowd and the atmosphere increase when Kit Napier received the ball - there was this feeling that something good was about to happen. Looking back this sensation has probably only been eclipsed by the feeling when Peter Ward received the ball - and similar frustrations when they were not on the ball.

As other NSCers recall Kit's inswinging corners were really dangerous. I recall watching one of the World Cups on telly during the 70's when a Brazilian player scored direct from a corner and the commentators and media went mad at this 'unique skill'.........but I was thinking 'hang on a minute - the Albion had a player who used to do that - good old Kit Napier!

Best wishes Kit - from another grateful fan.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
So glad to see this bounced.

I hope kit will be one of those able to come to the opening of falmer.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I never saw him play but met him in 1994 in his car lot in Durban. Lovely chap. Hopefully he still has my sandtex home shirt. Now where did I put that autographed businesscard???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here