The show your appreciation thread - KIT NAPIER.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brother Sid

Jan 4, 2006
Horsham
Remember standing in the North Stand and during the pre match kick about Kit volleyed the ball into a young kids face standing behind the goal. Being the gentleman he was, he came over leant over the wall to make sure the kid was OK.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He scored more than one direct from a corner. One was definatly v Bury, I might have to look up the other. yes, I believe the chesterfield keep was Alan Stevenson, who was later signed by burnly when they were Div 1 (in old money).

Great team pic, this was pre 72'73 and it's rather sad as it's the team that won promotion with such flair but saward was to decimate the team by shipping out stalwarts in the Napiers, Turner & Henderson. There must have been a good 800 games amoung those 4 and we were doomed to relegation without them.

From memory i make that, back row l to r, Goodwin, K Napier, Henderson, Dovey, Bromley, Powney, Spearitt, Templeman, J Napier.
Middle, Yaxley, Murray, Gall, Irvine, Saward, Beamish, Lutton, O'Sullivan & ? (Dobson?)
Front were the youngsters and I think the 1st 2 are Piper & Towner, who both went on toi become 1st teamers.

Francis (Frank) Fraser (Tom's dad) front right?

He scored more than one direct from a corner. One was definatly v Bury, I might have to look up the other. yes, I believe the chesterfield keep was Alan Stevenson, who was later signed by burnly when they were Div 1 (in old money).

Great team pic, this was pre 72'73 and it's rather sad as it's the team that won promotion with such flair but saward was to decimate the team by shipping out stalwarts in the Napiers, Turner & Henderson. There must have been a good 800 games amoung those 4 and we were doomed to relegation without them.

From memory i make that, back row l to r, Goodwin, K Napier, Henderson, Dovey, Bromley, Powney, Spearitt, Templeman, J Napier.
Middle, Yaxley, Murray, Gall, Irvine, Saward, Beamish, Lutton, O'Sullivan & ? (Dobson?)
Front were the youngsters and I think the 1st 2 are Piper & Towner, who both went on toi become 1st teamers.

I think the youngster on the far right is Steven Breach.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As the days of Kit Napier was way before I was born, can someone help me name these cheekie japesters in the PE shorts?

(Book of Football has the caption as Kit Napier congratulating Willie Irvine after his famous goal v Villa - but who is the guy on the left and the guys in the other photo?).

Much appreciation. :bowdown:

Attachments

• irvine.jpg
    irvine.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 555
  • bookoffootball2.jpg
    bookoffootball2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 323

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Thanks, very much. I must say, I don't recognise O'Sullivan without the tache!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Whatd'ya think of the trendy athletic style shorts?

Up until the Villa game it was white shorts & socks. We lost the 2 games before Villa and then the team turned out in blue and it seemed to change our luck and the blue shorts & socks stayed for the next season.

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
Front were the youngsters and I think the 1st 2 are Piper & Towner, who both went on toi become 1st teamers.[/QUOTE]

Not Dobson - Ray Crawford!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks, i'd forgooten all about him, but he wasn't here long.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Whatd'ya think of the trendy athletic style shorts?

Up until the Villa game it was white shorts & socks. We lost the 2 games before Villa and then the team turned out in blue and it seemed to change our luck and the blue shorts & socks stayed for the next season.

I like them! I had a pair just like that for games at school in the 1980s...

Just located a very rare colour photo of Albion in an all-white kit....

Attachments

• teamgroup.jpg
    teamgroup.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,803

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I loved watching him play - he was agreta finisher and a really good player for the club

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I watched my first game in 1969 and Kit Napier was one of the most memorable players in the side then.

I remember there being great anticipation when he took a corner in case he scored. As a young kid I didn't know scoring direct from a corner was so unusual, because we had Kit Napier and the crowd seemed to anticipate he was trying to score direct every corner he took.

I wonder where he is now and whether we could get him and others from that era to take a bow at Falmer in August 2011

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I like them! I had a pair just like that for games at school in the 1980s...

Just located a very rare colour photo of Albion in an all-white kit....

back row L - R Glen Wilson (trainer), Howard Wilkinson, John Templeman, John Napier, ??, ??, ??, Alex Dawson, Eddie Spearritt, Peter O'Sullivan.

middle row L - R Stuart Henderson, Terry Stanley, Bobby (never a hair out of place) Smith, Geoff Sidebotton, Brian Powney, Paul flood, ??, ??

front middle L - R Mike Yaxley, Kit Napier, Nobby Lawton, Pat Saward, Dave Turner, Norman Gall, ??

Front L - R, Mark Douglas, Nicky Tew, Biz Russell, Mick Stanley

a few guesses here! Alex Dawson, Freddie Goodwin, Ben's Grandad et al, please fill the gaps or put me right.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Well done, was just going to have a go at it!
Joe, not Glen Wilson, filling in the gaps, ?, Gilliver, Sheridan
Alan Duffy (how could you forget?0, Andy marchant (went on to teach locally?)
Peter Dinsdale.

So, without checking, one gap and I get the name Keith Watkins coming through.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Well done, was just going to have a go at it!
Joe, not Glen Wilson, filling in the gaps, ?, Gilliver, Sheridan
Alan Duffy (how could you forget?0, Andy marchant (went on to teach locally?)
Peter Dinsdale.

So, without checking, one gap and I get the name Keith Watkins coming through.

Alan "the Barrell" Duffy - of course - thanks. I know Andy Marchant so how embarassing!!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Alan "the Barrell" Duffy - of course - thanks. I know Andy Marchant so how embarassing!!

Andy Marchant. If he's who I think he is, he was my PE teacher! Remember him taking the piss out of a kid for wearing a Crystal Palace shirt with Tulip sponsor.

KitNapier

Aug 26, 2010
Thanks for the kind words Freddie.
I'm still living in Durban(South Africa),recently retired from the motor game.
And still have dreams, most nights, about my playing days!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks for the kind words Freddie.
I'm still living in Durban(South Africa),recently retired from the motor game.
And still have dreams, most nights, about my playing days!!!

Bloody hell - is this really THE Kit Napier? Tell me it's not a wind-up...

Sorry to say I'm too young to remember you playing, but the stats (and the old gets on here) tell us you were quite the hotshot. Oooh, questions, questions...

Tell us about your Albion days.

Edit: Of course, if this is a wind-up, I've just made myself look a berk. Again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports