Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The show your appreciation thread - KIT NAPIER.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Wonderful memories, wonderful thread and especial thanks to Ned for the poster of a Brighton side packed with great players (he's here, he's there, he's every f**kin' where, Norman Gall, Norman Gall!)

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
I think I saw Kit's debut where he scored a couple of great goals in a 5-2 home win against Peterboro... one was from 30 yards?.. the other a dribble round the keeper... In those days corners were very exciting. He could take them either side from either foot and scored a few directly. Dunno whether this memory is accurate cos of the whisky brain. ('lasvegan' has a pic taken of him and Kit which was published in the argus.) Anyway... great great player hope he can get to the Amex...

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
My first ever Brighton "hero".

Only because of me!! And I bloody did the drawing for you!!! All you did was the bloody beard.....But I was over the age limit for the competition so we entered in your name... bah! It should have been me in that photo.... I have always held that against you.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Following two current threads on who should be at the opening of the Amex and favourite all-time Brighton player... here is one Albion legend who should never be forgotten.
With his FLAIR he would have been an automatic choice in any Poyet starting XI. Shame he is 67 years-old now!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Kit also scored just about the most unusual goal i've seen, against Chesterfield. Their keeper gathered the ball under a melee and thought the ref had awarded a free kick, so he placed the ball down and walked back into his net to get a run-up. Napier nipped in to tap the ball over the line. The ref had not blown, there had been no foul and the goal stood!:clap:

The second goal against Chesterfield was he nipped in to intercept a back pass to the highly rated Chesterfield keeper and crossed for Willie Wiliie Irvine to head the winner which was the difference between promotion or not and the last minute goal at Spotland in the last minute to win again. Signed for £9,000 which would be about £180,000 in todays currency. A bargain.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
0,,10794~7949066,00.gif

Only Albion player to have a book of poetry named after him!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
No, he's not dead (I hope), but it's close season, cold & wet & I'm bored so let's have some memories (and pics?) of this Albion legend.

Kit (real name Chris) was a classy forward. tall & lean, not so good in the air but tremendous skill with both feet. I've seen him score direct from corners with both his left and right foot.

He joined us in about 1967 and left in '72, played centre forward, on both wings and had the odd game in midfield where he was able to pinpoint a long pass, but his main talent was goalscoring and he managed to break the post war goalscoring record and held that until Peter Ward came along.

I remember him heading his 100th league goal against Shrewsbury and the Shrews centre back was Jim Holton, soon to be signed by Man Utd. i also remember a hat-trick against Bristol Rovers where he gave their centre back the run around. That was Larry Lloyd, who signed for Liverpool soon after and was a rock in Shankly's team.

Kit also scored just about the most unusual goal i've seen, against Chesterfield. Their keeper gathered the ball under a melee and thought the ref had awarded a free kick, so he placed the ball down and walked back into his net to get a run-up. Napier nipped in to tap the ball over the line. The ref had not blown, there had been no foul and the goal stood!

Napier was one of four senior players let go by Saward after the 71-72 promotion and he went off to Blackburn. I still feel releasing the two Napiers, Dave Turner & Stewart Henderson was Saward's undoing as Albion went straight back down.

Kit Napier was flair some (Severnside) carry an early picture on their avatar but it's the smooth dark hair and neatly trimmed beared or the droopy 'tach which was so 60's & early 70's. He could be frustrating. a bit like Murray, and rarely got himself dirty but he could do some great things with a football.

:clap:
Good summing up of Kit as I remember him.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Great pic, my favourite all time Albion team. I went to an away game at Walsall around that time and spent the return journey from New Street to Euston in the train bar with Eddie Spearitt, Alan Gilliver and a few players including Ron Davies from another South Coast club, who were returning from Stoke. Eddie Spearitt was excellent company, but Gilliver kept talking about his medical condition, which he referred to as "Brewers Droop", mind you it didn't stop him drinking.
Alex Dawson next to Kit...last heard Alex was running a team in Northamptonshire,but that was a few years ago

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here