Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Right Honourable Suella Braverman. KC MP **Sacked 13/11**

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
They Braverman and Patel both seem to be from the same ideological stable, albeit competing on who can appear the stronger to the Tory hard core.

I recall that Priti Patel once put forward the idea of a wave machine, designed to deter (and capsize) migrant boats. Yes, really. She later had to settle for sending asylum seekers to the safety of Rwanda for 'assessment'.

Now Braverman wants to ban tents for people on the streets, 'many of them from abroad'. So she is appealing to bigots and racists, and those ill-equipped to spot her agenda.

She and Patel are singing to a Tory choir who have completely lost the plot, so expect more of these jaw-dropping ideas in the run up to the election.
Well, these jaw dropping ideas are the road to nowhere.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As I walked through Hastings town centre earlier to take in some much needed sun along the seafront, there was a 'Free Palestine' demo going on. Quite a few people were there including the police. Anyway whoever was speaking started off by mentioning Braverman and the fact that according to her this is a 'hate march' and everyone in attendance are antisemitic extremists and that the homeless are making a lifetime choice, then I couldn't hear anymore as I walked past.

What struck me and frankly impressed me was whoever this speaker was he was able to mention Braverman and not swear. I couldn't. She is an absolute ****.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
As I walked through Hastings town centre earlier to take in some much needed sun along the seafront, there was a 'Free Palestine' demo going on. Quite a few people were there including the police. Anyway whoever was speaking started off by mentioning Braverman and the fact that according to her this is a 'hate march' and everyone in attendance are antisemitic extremists and that the homeless are making a lifetime choice, then I couldn't hear anymore as I walked past.

What struck me and frankly impressed me was whoever this speaker was he was able to mention Braverman and not swear. I couldn't. She is an absolute ****.
Trouble is, a 'Free Palestine' demo suggests just a little bit of support for Hamas and their vile, evil slaughter of innocent men, women and children.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I bet all the folk who like a camping holiday are going to go bananas
True. And Glastonbury will be more interesting if tents are banned. And benefit, at the very least it will remove the daily issue of trying to find your tent whilst off your tits at 5am.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Trouble is, a 'Free Palestine' demo suggests just a little bit of support for Hamas and their vile, evil slaughter of innocent men, women and children.
No, it doesn't.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mmmmm......perhaps. Perhaps not. It all depends whether they declared support for Hamas. Anyone know if they did?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No it doesn’t. Not at all. For example if you believe Ireland should be a single sovereign island it doesn’t mean you support the IRA. Conversely if you believe NI should be British it doesn’t imply you support the UDF.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Mmmmm......perhaps. Perhaps not. It all depends whether they declared support for Hamas. Anyone know if they did?
As I said, Sussex Police were there and a quick look at the type of people in attendance would lead me to assume that none of them support terrorism.

Apropos to the Right Honourable member for Fareham, I was also asked if I had any change on my way in and and out of Morrisons when I dived in for a couple of bits before they closed at 1600 by 2 different people. Both these homeless people who obviously chose to be so due to conscious lifestyle choice had English accents. They must have been pretending not to be foreign......

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yesterday I got absolutely fekkin' soaked in that crazy downpour lunchtime. I spent the rest of the day trying to dry myself, my clothes, my bags, my footwear out. When I read about this news item I was furious. Nobody would choose to pitch a tent on a wet, dirty pavement. That woman is pure evil.
Except where the alternative is to sleep without a tent on a wet, dirty pavement. The best solution, surely, would be to provide accommodation e.g. dormitories, for anybody that has nowhere permanent to live? Do councils and NGOs still offer this?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Except where the alternative is to sleep without a tent on a wet, dirty pavement. The best solution, surely, would be to provide accommodation e.g. dormitories, for anybody that has nowhere permanent to live? Do councils and NGOs still offer this?
They used to, under the government from 99-10. Then it stopped

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No it doesn’t. Not at all. For example if you believe Ireland should be a single sovereign island it doesn’t mean you support the IRA. Conversely if you believe NI should be British it doesn’t imply you support the UDF.
I wonder if my belief in a United Ireland, if it was the majority will of the people, makes me anti-British ? But of course, some would say that means I support the IRA. The frustration is that they know that I don't well enough, but cannot countenance how it forces them into sane and rational discussion.

But this is how politics works in recent times. The present government has to have a populist position. Yet they are merely appealing to the 25% support they already have.

It is unfathomable that a group of so few people could gamble the cultural balance of that nation to feed their own egos.

A while ago I gave up having any form of support for any political party. I will always be neutral. Yet, apart from some utterly dull general administration stuff, this government cannot garner my enthusiasm for a single thing they do. Mainly because of the hearts behind it. It is time to go, before they take even more hope and harmony with them.

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
Everyone clutching their pearls should check out the tent cities blighting LA, San Fran, Portland etc. Is that what you really want in Brighton? It’s kinda heading that way in parts

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Everyone clutching their pearls should check out the tent cities blighting LA, San Fran, Portland etc. Is that what you really want in Brighton? It’s kinda heading that way in parts
I can remember the beatniks sleeping under the pier 60 years ago.
There are several homeless charities in Brighton where help can be found.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Do you think banning tents in cities will eradicate the problem, or just transfer it somewhere else?

The answer is to reduce homelessness, not make it harder for the homeless to find shelter and to demonise them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

This isn't America, some people who spend far too much on the internet fail to understand.

I've lived in London for almost 30 years and it's London that our click bait dog whistling embarrassment of a home secretary is usually referring to.

When she has exhausted her fear of the foreigner she turns her attention to fear of a new "other", your neighbour.

We tend not to fall for it up here, I'm sorry that you did.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I sleep in a tent a few nights a year as a lifestyle choice, it's called camping. It's fun (allegedly) all together in a field with kids playing rounders, bbq's & campfires. In the middle of Aug I went to bed wearing pj's, a hoodie, a sleeping bag with a hood & a duvet, laying on top of a air bed with pillows. I was still chilly.
'Camping' is a lifestyle choice but in a decent tent, with fresh water of some description & the knowledge that if it all starts leaking or thunderstorms etc., you can sleep in the car.
Sleeping rough in a shit '2 person' pop up tent that wouldn't be big enough for my dog to turn around in, is probably not a lifestyle choice.
Nearly 20 years ago I went to a 'Ball' at The Grand for a charity event to raise funds in the name of a young girl who had passed away. I went outside for a cigarette & ended up sitting on the floor in my ball gown chatting to a homeless guy. He didn't speak to me 1st or ask for a cigarette, I struck up the conversation because I feel more uncomfortable 'not' talking to people, I even spoke to Palace fans that night (don't start smoking kids, as you'll end up having to speak to Palace fans).
When I did eventually ask him how he had he found himself outside The Grand in January he said it was because that was where he wanted to be. He made it sound like a 'lifestyle choice' to start with. Upon further questioning he revealed that he had been in the army, suffered from ptsd & couldn't stand the thought of being 'trapped'. Suella would take that as a 'lifestyle choice', most of us would see that as a person who needs treatment for ptsd so that he can feel comfortable living in a 'home' he can call his own. My friends did eventually come to his rescue & find me. On departing he tried to give me some money to add to the charity funds & only accepted the rest of my cigarettes because I threatened to stay and chat to him for longer! He probably didn't even smoke. 😀 He didn't actually have a tent in the vicinity that I noticed but under this new 'bright' idea, it could've been taken away from him.
I'm sure there's a saying along the lines of.... people are only 3 months wages away from being homeless. For a lot of people (probably the majority) this is true. You know those 'to let' prices you see that are '£1500 per month', what they actually mean in Brighton, is that it's 'from £1500 per month'. There is now bidding going on, 6 months rent up front, guarantor, plus deposit is becoming normal. If you don't believe me go onto an estate agents website, ask to view a couple of properties, view 1, say you'll take it, then see what happens.
If I become homeless you'll know who I am as I'll pitch my expensive tent up in Stanmer Park, with my gazebo, bbq, camping gas stoves & all the little 'lifestyle choice' luxuries & I'll put a Brighton flag somewhere on my set up. Then over time & weather etc you can watch an amazing set up be reduced to a 2 man tent with my dog because that's what happens. No fixed address & you're out of the housing market, being on benefits puts you out of the housing market. Kids and parents living in bedsits but Suella is taking aim at people who are lucky to have a 2 man tent. FFS. 🤦‍♀️

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here