Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Returned - Chl 4 Sunday (en français)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
shhhuuttttttt uuupppppp :lol:

Surely the timing must be wrong.... Mrs Costa remembers Victor's and his mother's death.

No one seems to agree that Lucy is the Queen of the Dead :(

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
- Nobody can leave.
Chapeau to the NSC'er who had that (It certainly wasn't me).

Just rematches [rewatched] the third episode. There isn't much that seemed to stand out, except Jeremy suggests the family move away so Camille doesn't have to hide, but I remember in a later episode Camille tells her mother he only wants to do that because he wants to get back with her, so it seemed like the move was off. And Simon tries to convince Adler [Adele] to leave with hm [him], but she doesn't so he stays.

Is there some sort of cosmic force keeping them all in town?

And the vicar seemed to think mr costa wasn't the sort to believe he would be reunited with his wife in death...

You're welcome.
(Also, I need to be more careful when typing on my ipad).

This theory is aired on the Guardian Returned blog too. It doesn't really stand up because we saw Camille and her mother in a clothes shop; the mother had specifically told Camille that we'll go shopping somewhere well away from town so no one will see you (but of course, someone did - which is where the Alice story started).

:rave:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Big big dilemma tonight.

I've not watched until Monday afternoon, no adverts and up for subtitles.
Obviously I want to watch the final episode tonight, but I do run the risk of long blinks, and extending the evening still further, on here.

The Sunday Times alluded to a more rounded story tonight instead of fragmented separate family issues.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm doing it, I'm watching 'live'.

I need a wee-wee so hopefully that will limit the long blinks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With 20 minutes left, either we have been over thinking it, or we're heading into Lost territory.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
argh pooh bums.

I either missed a fookin great big allegory (not for the first time) or they've sold us short.

2 months wasted.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
That was a disappointing "ending". I'm reluctant to return for more and be led another merry dance to a not very conclusive close and a series 3.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was a disappointing "ending". I'm reluctant to return for more and be led another merry dance to a not very conclusive close and a series 3.
I'm glad it's not just me.

As said it did occur to me that perhaps we've been over thinking it, all along.
But that's certainly the path the series lead us down, only to stop thinking itself.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I liked it, knowing that a second season is coming. I feel like if they gave us too much, they would be stretching for more info. Where did they go? What happened to the police outside? Is Lena pregnant, too? Will Serge (or is it toni?) rise from the dead, will his mother forgive him?

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-ret...-hold-the-answers-to-the-returned’s-mysteries
"Mayor Costa" did I miss that in an earlier episode?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-returned/26627/the-returned-series-1-finale-review-the-horde

Like so much of The Returned’s first series, the stand-off and ensuing fight was all about atmosphere, and not about didactic storytelling. Who survived, what happened to the police, why the dead left without the now-pregnant Adèle (or Serge, for that matter)… none of that was explained. Instead we were given tension, emotional realism and strong imagery. Victor and Julie running towards each other from opposite sides of the glass, and those metal shutters slamming down on The Helping Hand were telling images of division and barriers, just as the early episodes were preoccupied with repeating the motif of reflections and doubles.

“You said they wouldn’t hurt us”, a bystander accused Pierre this week. They may not have taken the traditional genre path to it, but the dead did hurt the living. The pain exacted was figurative. Instead of eating their faces off, the dead took the living's loved ones away.

Not that a spot of face-eating wasn’t out of the question, judging by the state of this new lot. After eight episodes, The Returned finally towed the zombie line with scenes that wouldn’t have looked out of place in The Walking Dead. First came the herd of shuffling dead emerging out of the mist, then Thomas and colleague coming upon that walker drinking from the toilet in the destroyed pub. The town had been ransacked, Camille was picking at her decaying face, quotes from Revelations had been daubed on the walls…

Were this episode one, the audience would have sunk immediately into an ‘Oh. This again’ mind set. By leaving the apocalypse stuff until the very end though, The Returned reminds us just how wide a detour it’s taken from predictable zombie fare. The series has continually swerved away from the expected - even its siege finale was moody and bloodless rather than action-filled. It may have left us alternately bemused and buzzing with frustration over the last eight weeks, but ‘Oh. This again’? Not even once.

Perhaps our surest route to sanity between now and series two is to forget the answers it hasn’t given us, and be thankful for everything else it has.​

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Virtually the entire dead from the town, family, friends, lovers and loved ones, emerge from the woods, and NOBODY has even one question for them.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What was that final scene about? Had the level of water gone up, down or stayed the same?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm not a person who insists on clean endings, with all loose ends tied up, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered to follow this if it just trundles on. I enjoyed the first series of Heroes, I enjoyed the first series of Twin Peaks, but something is lost when what essentially for me is a mystery is not resolved. It's like if Sherlock Holmes turned to Watson at the end of each story and just shrugged his shoulders. I loved the cinematography, the atmosphere and the soundtrack, but I'm not looking for an attack of the zombies programme - I was reeled in by the story of a young girl inexplicably returning from a coach crash four years later and I'm not sure I'm so gripped by the idea of a town being attacked by zombies except in a comedy environment. But I will probably soldier on a bit, just like I did with the aforementioned franchises. Not entirely disappointed, but disheartened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here