Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Returned - Chl 4 Sunday (en français)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If people think this is about zombies then think again. This is as much zombie territory as it is vampire (cant enter a house unless invited in), ghoul (very Victor.... or Louis?) or any other horror territory. I think this series is playing with our expectations. Yes, I am left with more questions than answers but I think that was obvious from the moment we knew there would be a series 2. I think it would have been worse if they had tried to wrap it all up.

The water connection with the dead is still not clear. Nor is the relationshipo with this group of people and the Revenents clarified. What I DO find interesting is that the people who were trapped in the Helping Hand (or kept from leaving?) are probably the only survivors of the modern town's flooding. Perhaps the baby was the excuse the Revenents used to keep them safe?

Those writing this off as Hollywood-land. Think again . That just isn't the way ther French do things.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
If people think this is about zombies then think again. This is as much zombie territory as it is vampire (cant enter a house unless invited in), ghoul (very Victor.... or Louis?) or any other horror territory. I think this series is playing with our expectations. Yes, I am left with more questions than answers but I think that was obvious from the moment we knew there would be a series 2. I think it would have been worse if they had tried to wrap it all up.

The water connection with the dead is still not clear. Nor is the relationshipo with this group of people and the Revenents clarified. What I DO find interesting is that the people who were trapped in the Helping Hand (or kept from leaving?) are probably the only survivors of the modern town's flooding. Perhaps the baby was the excuse the Revenents used to keep them safe?

Those writing this off as Hollywood-land. Think again . That just isn't the way ther French do things.

Sully, I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it depends what you're looking for from the programme. One person's "playing with our expectations" is another's shaggy dog story. I think Stat Brother is probably not far off in saying that we've been reading too much into this in that it started as a psychological thriller of sorts, but has become less of a thriller and more of a saga. I don't think we were looking for a Jonathan Creek style denouement and explanation at the end, but I'm left with the feeling that, as time goes on, it's less about the "why" and more about the "what's going to happen" - some will welcome the development, some won't. Personally, I'm not sure, but there's merit to making sure a programme does not outstay its welcome and, for me, one series would have been enough. I loved the series, but sincerely hope it's not going to be one of those programmes that's still going in series 6 that is slowly becoming more and more aimless. We'll reconvene for series 2 and see what happens....

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Sully, I don't disagree with what you're saying, but it depends what you're looking for from the programme. One person's "playing with our expectations" is another's shaggy dog story. I think Stat Brother is probably not far off in saying that we've been reading too much into this in that it started as a psychological thriller of sorts, but has become less of a thriller and more of a saga. I don't think we were looking for a Jonathan Creek style denouement and explanation at the end, but I'm left with the feeling that, as time goes on, it's less about the "why" and more about the "what's going to happen" - some will welcome the development, some won't. Personally, I'm not sure, but there's merit to making sure a programme does not outstay its welcome and, for me, one series would have been enough. I loved the series, but sincerely hope it's not going to be one of those programmes that's still going in series 6 that is slowly becoming more and more aimless. We'll reconvene for series 2 and see what happens....

Pure guess but based on what Ive seen and my minimal knowledge of French TV is a story arc of 3 series at the most. And again based on my minimal French TV by the en dof the planned 'series' there may STILL be unanswered questions. C'est la vie a la Camus!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I hope Serge's brother comes back from the dead and kills Serge for the 100th time, including eating him in a pie, the meat of which reforms and grows back into murderous existence within him. I'd prefer that to more standing still and looking in blank-faced shock and horror at what might be without saying much of what's anything. Next season i am watching only the last episode.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Wow, I did not realise it has been over two years, but season two starts this week.

Friday at 9pm on More4 with a repeat showing on Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2.20am

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wow, I did not realise it has been over two years, but season two starts this week.

Friday at 9pm on More4 with a repeat showing on Saturday night/Sunday morning at 2.20am

With the possible exception of Wolf Hall, the first series has been my favourite over recent years (although I haven't gravitated on to Netflix as yet). Will there be another stunning soundtrack from Mogwai too?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
With the possible exception of Wolf Hall, the first series has been my favourite over recent years (although I haven't gravitated on to Netflix as yet). Will there be another stunning soundtrack from Mogwai too?

Mogwai are doing the soundtrack, yes.

Shame it's on Fridays now, I liked the Sunday evening slot.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I thought the 2nd series was on ages ago in France, but it turns out it was only on Canal in September. Starnge its on More4 rather than ch4.

Maybe they think it's becoming less original and more closely genre-based and will lose some of its oddity appeal - I think I'm with Stuart Munday on this: I'm hopeful, but prepared to be disappointed. The first series' appeal, apart from the nice, crisp shooting, the atmospherics (including the soundtrack) and the pace, was that you didn't know where the story was going, and the fact that it was hard to see where it could go - which kept you watching.

That series ended with the suggestion that a zombie world existed that could interface with the real world, so I'm slightly struggling with how this will pan out in a captivating way - the main question (how could dead people suddenly come back to life and seem to be alive and normal) seems to have been answered: they're zombies, which was kind of the answer we didn't want.

Flex Your Head

Maybe they think it's becoming less original and more closely genre-based and will lose some of its oddity appeal - I think I'm with Stuart Munday on this: I'm hopeful, but prepared to be disappointed. The first series' appeal, apart from the nice, crisp shooting, the atmospherics (including the soundtrack) and the pace, was that you didn't know where the story was going, and the fact that it was hard to see where it could go - which kept you watching.

That series ended with the suggestion that a zombie world existed that could interface with the real world, so I'm slightly struggling with how this will pan out in a captivating way - the main question (how could dead people suddenly come back to life and seem to be alive and normal) seems to have been answered: they're zombies, which was kind of the answer we didn't want.

But was the town and all its inhabitants, dead and alive, actually in this world? When they (can't exactly remember who) tried to drive away, every route they took brought them back to the town. There is nowhere else to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here