The REMF team - selection etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you honestly think everyone involved does not have the primary objective of raising money. A serious point.

Of course I don't and I didn't say that.

What I am saying is that it has been said by many of you closely involved that the primary aim of the football match is not to raise as much money as possible. You have all said that. Yes, you are very keen to raise money, I don't think anyone is doubting that. But you are not seeking to milk the football match for as much as you can. It's bold of you to say that, but it allows everyone to make their decisions now that they are fully aware of the setup.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I disagree but if that what people think thats fine. We need to arrange a meeting after REMF 9 and plan for REMF 10 and the way forward particularly re team selection and sponsorships as that is the only thing that seems to be the focus. We can then all consider our positions. All I have done on this thread is try and offer support to those that have helped REMF for 9 years and see it from all sides.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I disagree in that I do not think people are not trying to raise as much as they can. Sure we can improve things. Every charity can be better I guess but its a shame that we are all having a go and not seeing what the fund has done imo. I do know a lot of people who have done a lot for REMF have been alienated now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst people are sniping at Richie he is out there arranging the programme, publicising the event and offering to hand out flyers as well as raising money for the fund.

Think about it.

Oh FFS give it a rest Gareth, this is getting very dull. Are you really mis-interpreting nearly everything that is said, or are just trying to provoke?

1. No-one is sniping at Richie now. The comments above were made many hours ago.

2. Those comments were not sniping at all. In the context of this thread, Richie posted quite an idiotic comment. We all post idiotic comments and on NSC, idiotic comments get picked up on. We all know that - there is nowhere to hide.

3. None of Richie's prior or future efforts in aid of the REMF are being questioned. Picking him up on his idiotic comment earlier has nothing to do with those efforts.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Parden me Bozza but Richie had to endure at least half a dozen comments from people taking the piss. I would not blame him if he said I can't be bothered to do all the things I said I would for REMF 9 but I know he is bigger than that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I disagree in that I do not think people are not trying to raise as much as they can.

I'm not going to waste my time trawling back over this thread just to quote the various comments from yourself, Richie and Andy which illustrate very clearly that the maximising of takings from the football match is not what the match is all about. Those comments were made by you, Richie et al and picked up on by many people earlier today.

As I say - that is fine (not that it is for me to judge on behalf of others) - it has been made clear, which allows people to make their decisions in sight of all relevant facts.

I'm out of this now, I'm weary.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have never said that Bozza. Of course the prime objective is how to raise the most money on the night but need to keep in mind the spirit of the REMF and its history. I will do what the concencus wants but bear in mind I just try and co ordinate it, it is the Eatons charity and I and NSC and everyone will follow their wishes. It seems a lot is being questioned and of course we need to keep on our toes and make the fund as good as it can be but I think we have done pretty well in the last 9 years. The fund is great I and many people are very proud of it. Maybe thats why I get upset if it is criticised but I am just a cog in the wheel as is everyone and if we can make it better thats great. I think an open forum after REMF 9 is a must to iron out these issues raised especailly with REMf 10 and Falmer a possibiltity. Everyone who has donated and will donate has a right to raise questions I accept that but I am worried people will be alenated with relentless criticism as on this thread and alienate the very people who have done so much.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Deflecting away from Richies comments and following festival of bins, and Back to the subject of raising money. Stuff up for grabs now...

- Wardy's REMF shirt signed (donated by REMF Squad 2010)

- Marlowes REMF shirt Signed (donated by REMF Squad 2010)

- Matchday shirt signed by Robbie Savage (donated by Ian Green @ Club Shop)

- Matchday shirt signed by Elliott Bennett (donated by Ian Green @ Club Shop)

- Matchday shirt signed by Gavin Hotye (donated by Ian Green @ Club Shop)

- Matchday shirt signed by Inigo Calderon (donated by Merry Prankster)

- 1 x adult ticket for Brighton vs Yeovil on Saturday 8th March (donated by Mendoza)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Deflecting away from Richies comments and following festival of bins, and Back to the subject of raising money. Stuff up for grabs now...

- Wardy's REMF shirt signed (donated by REMF Squad 2010)

- Marlowes REMF shirt Signed (donated by REMF Squad 2010)

- Matchday shirt signed by Robbie Savage (donated by Ian Green @ Club Shop)

- Matchday shirt signed by Elliott Bennett (donated by Ian Green @ Club Shop)

- Matchday shirt signed by Gavin Hotye (donated by Ian Green @ Club Shop)

- Matchday shirt signed by Inigo Calderon (donated by Merry Prankster)

- 1 x adult ticket for Brighton vs Yeovil on Saturday 8th March (donated by Mendoza)

Superb work as always Brett :clap2:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I will do a seperate thread in a bit with an official auction for these items. I was going to do a raffle at £5 a ticket but the generosity of Lokki, Buzzer, Trigger and Superphil have made me think otherwise

Bids so far

Hideous maroon shirt - £125 Superphil
Savage Shirt - £75 Lokki7
Bennett Shirt - £100 Buzzer
Hoyte Shirt - £75 Trigger

I am still working on a couple of other prizes and once I have finalised the list,I will start the auction

£655 has also been raised so far on the justgiving page Brighton REMF Boys is fundraising for Robert Eaton Memorial Fund - JustGiving

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So, so far for REMf we have £ 500 Wardy book/Savannagh raffle, £ 540 team sponsor ships, £ 375 Brett's auction = £ 1415.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So, so far for REMF 9 we have £ 500 Wardy book/Savannagh raffle, £ 540 team sponsor ships, £ 375 Brett's auction = £ 1415.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Having slept on it. My final thoughts on the situation are certain people are not happy about the way the team is selected and how they raise money for the game. It is important that the team raise money and make an effort to do it. I have supported people on here as they are important to REMF and I don't want them to think after REMF 9 " I can't be bothered anymore ". To insinuate the objective is not to make as much money for the fund is plainly wrong. I have a lot of stuff to do so I am not responsible for checking up on the team and how much they are raising. The just giving campaign last year was perfectly in that it raised £ 4000 but also every knew who was playing and people could see how much they raised. As people are saying the people in the team should be the ones that raised the most, what do we do in future, sling someone out who has not raised what is considered acceptable ?. Do we let the 11 play who have raised the most ?. Do we let people buy their way in?. This has never been the way the games have been done in the past and the whole uniqueness off the games and the fund is that it is a bunch of BHAFC SUPPORTERS and CPFC supporters coming together and putting rivalry aside for the cause.

It seems people want this whole ethos and spirit of the fund jettisoned out for a dutch auction whereby whoever has bid the most will play regardless of their ability or even if they are BHAFC supporters. We could in future have a load of rich Chelsea fans playing for the BHAFC supporters.

Lots of points have been raised from this thread and I will arrange an open meeting in May to discuss and decide the future format for the playing side of the BHAFC supporters and will invite the Eatons along as after all they will decide how they want their son remembered and honoured.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Having slept on it. My final thoughts on the situation are certain people are not happy about the way the team is selected and how they raise money for the game. It is important that the team raise money and make an effort to do it. I have supported people on here as they are important to REMF and I don't want them to think after REMF 9 " I can't be bothered anymore ". To insinuate the objective is not to make as much money for the fund is plainly wrong. I have a lot of stuff to do so I am not responsible for checking up on the team and how much they are raising. The just giving campaign last year was perfectly in that it raised £ 4000 but also every knew who was playing and people could see how much they raised. As people are saying the people in the team should be the ones that raised the most, what do we do in future, sling someone out who has not raised what is considered acceptable ?. Do we let the 11 play who have raised the most ?. Do we let people buy their way in?. This has never been the way the games have been done in the past and the whole uniqueness off the games and the fund is that it is a bunch of BHAFC SUPPORTERS and CPFC supporters coming together and putting rivalry aside for the cause.

It seems people want this whole ethos and spirit of the fund jettisoned out for a dutch auction whereby whoever has bid the most will play regardless of their ability or even if they are BHAFC supporters. We could in future have a load of rich Chelsea fans playing for the BHAFC supporters.

Lots of points have been raised from this thread and I will arrange an open meeting in May to discuss and decide the future format for the playing side of the BHAFC supporters and will invite the Eatons along as after all they will decide how they want their son remembered and honoured.

I suggest you read the whole thread through again, because your missing a very big point. At no stage has anyone suggested the whole team be comprised of "rich bankers" as you put it. I fully understand that not everyone can raise the same amount of money, and have no problem with that. For about the tenth time, the problem is the way its been set up. If someones place in the squad is not based on money raised (which it isnt as HKFC was left out), then it should be based on ability (which it isnt, as Snoobs has been left out). This leads me (and from what I can see, others also) to come to the conclusion that its a closed shop based on being a "veteran whose played in previous years"- shown by Andy's comments about selection. Is this right? Is that what the "spirit of REMF" is about?

The Charity is a huge credit to Brighton fans and has done fantastic things to date, but that does not mean things like this can't be improved.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I will add my penneth here as well as my eldest has been a ball boy several times and is now 17 and asked about playing and I advised him it was not worth trying to get in as it does seem a bit of a closed shop with the same people year in year out.

I should add he plays County U18s and also played for Sussex this week therefore a pretty good player.

Last edited:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
I suggest you read the whole thread through again, because your missing a very big point. At no stage has anyone suggested the whole team be comprised of "rich bankers" as you put it. I fully understand that not everyone can raise the same amount of money, and have no problem with that. For about the tenth time, the problem is the way its been set up. If someones place in the squad is not based on money raised (which it isnt as HKFC was left out), then it should be based on ability (which it isnt, as Snoobs has been left out). This leads me (and from what I can see, others also) to come to the conclusion that its a closed shop based on being a "veteran whose played in previous years"- shown by Andy's comments about selection. Is this right? Is that what the "spirit of REMF" is about?

The Charity is a huge credit to Brighton fans and has done fantastic things to date, but that does not mean things like this can't be improved.

spot on. it's clear that raising money isn't the prime objective of the players (which it should be) and this stinks.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
To a certain extent yes.

The spirit of the REMF is important and the history of the games. If people don't want that in the future and want a cynical fund based on how much money people raise / pay to play as the only rationale for selection I think the whole spirit of the fund will be lost.

We raise a tremdous amount of money from numerous sources.

I have no input on the playing side , team selection or team fund raising. As I said I have enough other things to do. I have just tried to see it from all sides so we need to discuss the way people who donate want the team selection and fund raising from the team done from REMF 10 onwards.

If people want to have their say they can in an open meeting in May.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyway clearly we do need to have this meeting about the future team and how it is selected. Everyone can have their say and it can move on. There is no point is arguing about it on here anymore. If people feel strongly I hope they will attend.

In the meantime please get behind the REMF 9 team and come along on 30/4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here