Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The REMF team - selection etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can take being abused as a mortgage broker, or as a shit film critic

Let's be honest, you can't really can you? :lolol:

In all seriousness though, US you are doing a great job and everyone is aware of how much time you give up for the cause, this is not in question and this thread is in no way a criticism of you or your work. I've said everything I wanted to on this thread but am frustrated at the lack of understanding by some. Anyhoo, I will duck out now as I'm just going round in circles. All the points have been well made, some need to maybe go back and actually read the thread.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gareth, Brovian didn't actually accuse you of going on an ego trip. He said this:

People DON'T go to the REMF game to see your mates on an ego trip playing alongside Wardy and playing on a bigger stage than their talent 'deserves'

And that is 100% correct.

It's very sad though - you work hard and clearly feel backed into a corner. On the other hand, REMF is clearly not the all inclusive NSC charity that I and others thought it was. It was once, but something has gone badly wrong because it isn't anymore. :(

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
for what its worth, what happens if the top 10 fundraisers all want to play in goal? there has to be some kind of organisation and there are people like Gareth, Andy, Brett, TLO etc who put a lot of effort in. Lets get together and stop bickering and help make this years event a success.
I will also sacrifice my place in the team (which means a huge amount to me) should someone want to play and be willing to make a suitable donation for the honour of playing. I will still be there and help with the team either way.

ah but only you would come on here defending the players when it was you responsible for letting two goals in to let Palace back into the match last season.....AND I sponsored you......I feel dreadfully let down and want a Pro in goal like Peter Scmeikel!!!!

PETE OUT

gareth, don't take things to heart. It is very constructive to have a debate on these things and nothing whasoever is being said that is disrespectful to you or the fund.

as an aside, I seem to recall that the first game, raising £100 sponsorship money was exactly the criteria needed to be available for selection, including Andy from Skint etc. That was long before the days of Richie and Brett ( who are doing a terrific job BTW) The second game I was the "gaffer" and my criteria was the sponsorship and giving people a game regardless of their ability

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It's very sad though - you work hard and clearly feel backed into a corner. On the other hand, REMF is clearly not the all inclusive NSC charity that I and others thought it was. It was once, but something has gone badly wrong because it isn't anymore. :(

Yet last year was the most successful yet (in monies going to the charity, which is the whole point). Badly wrong? Questionable that.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Gareth - I think you have said everything you need to. I would leave it here mate.

I think most people have had their two penn'orth. It is how it is for this year. I personally will donate, do everything I can to help, watch a good match (hopefully) and maybe we can agree on a better way of doing things for next year.

If nothing else, this thread shows how much people care about the REMF. And that is a good thing.

exactly - any publicity is good publicity

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yet last year was the most successful yet (in monies going to the charity, which is the whole point). Badly wrong? Questionable that.
No, you're absolutely right Max.

A near 300 post thread debating the merits of the selection policy and the likelihood that this year's profit target will be less than half of last years are both proof that everything is fine and dandy.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gareth, Brovian didn't actually accuse you of going on an ego trip. He said this:

People DON'T go to the REMF game to see your mates on an ego trip playing alongside Wardy and playing on a bigger stage than their talent 'deserves'

And that is 100% correct.
Thanks, yes that's exactly what I said. I accept 100% that Gareth himself is not running REMF as an ego trip.

... as an aside, I seem to recall that the first game, raising £100 sponsorship money was exactly the criteria needed to be available for selection, including Andy from Skint etc. That was long before the days of Richie and Brett ( who are doing a terrific job BTW) The second game I was the "gaffer" and my criteria was the sponsorship and giving people a game regardless of their ability
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers that! I'm sure that for next year a balance can be struck (and sorted out earlier) as it's my opinion that the REMF team shouldn't be picked simply on ability or the fact that people have played for it before.

Like I say, that's my opinion; I'm entitled to it and I've said it so I'll leave it there. All the best to everyone involved in REMF 9.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
b) What happens to the sponsorship of the players who are NOT in the top fundraisers? I would love trying to get sponsorship by telling people "Right, I might play in a charity game. I might not. Can I have some dosh anyway?

Er... you'd collect PLEDGES. It's a tried and tested fundraising technique.

You could even have a little option where sponsors can opt to donate the pledged money even if you don't get on the pitch.

Or pay more if you win, get a the matchwinner etc.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Er... you'd collect PLEDGES. It's a tried and tested fundraising technique.

You could even have a little option where sponsors can opt to donate the pledged money even if you don't get on the pitch.

Or pay more if you win, get a the matchwinner etc.

Taken 9 years to think of that!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Ian at the club shop has kindly donated the following

Matchday shirt signed by Robbie Savage
Matchday shirt signed by Elliott Bennett
Matchday shirt signed by Gavin Hoyte

I can add these to a raffle or auction them off, with all the £££ going to REMF

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Ill have Savages shirt

Well if it's an auction I will start bidding at £50 on all 3. Actually, I'll start with £75 bid on the Savage one just to annoy Dave.

(Sorry, said I wasn't going to post again but I hope I can be let off for this)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Serious point - as I am doing the PA type stuff and probably the raffle, do you want these to go in the raffle or are these just for here

I know that when we try and get bids on the night they are not always sold

( ...and it its in the raffle on the night, I can sneak off with it and no one would know....mmmwwwhhhaaaaaaa)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here