Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The REMF team - selection etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
To a certain extent yes.

The spirit of the REMF is important and the history of the games. If people don't want that in the future and want a cynical fund based on how much money people raise / pay to play as the only rationale for selection I think the whole spirit of the fund will be lost.

We raise a tremdous amount of money from numerous sources.

I have no input on the playing side , team selection or team fund raising. As I said I have enough other things to do. I have just tried to see it from all sides so we need to discuss the way people who donate want the team selection and fund raising from the team done from REMF 10 onwards.

If people want to have their say they can in an open meeting in May.

Yes, but the majority of the current team would still be in the squad on ability, thus the "history of the games" would be retained. Please, please don't pull out that line about "cynical fund, rich bankers etc". All we want is a degree of transparency, by which people are aware what the basis of the selection is based on. All evidence points to the fact that its a "closed shop", which stinks. This is not aimed at you (you've shown yourself to be a terrific ambassador for the chartity) but things NEED to be different next year if you want to maintain the level of interest and support that REMF currently recieves.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I accept that that is why I am arranging an open meeting in May.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I don't think a meeting before the match is necessary - it's too close to this year's game to have any effect. Any appropriate meeting should be there to clarify future matches, and would be better nearer to next year's match. But that's just my opinion.

Seeing as the primary objective is to raise money, I think everyone (players, officials, organisers, sponsors) should focus all their efforts on doing just that.

Everything else is a footnote.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Having slept on it. My final thoughts on the situation are certain people are not happy about the way the team is selected and how they raise money for the game.

Certain? I'd say that the justification for selection per the official list has opened a HUGE can of worms. Of course not everyone can be included but preference does seem to be given to the fact that you have played for the last umpteen years. I'm not the first to have pointed that out, am I?

and I don't want them to think after REMF 9 " I can't be bothered anymore ". To insinuate the objective is not to make as much money for the fund is plainly wrong. I have a lot of stuff to do so I am not responsible for checking up on the team and how much they are raising. The just giving campaign last year was perfectly in that it raised £ 4000 but also every knew who was playing and people could see how much they raised. As people are saying the people in the team should be the ones that raised the most, what do we do in future, sling someone out who has not raised what is considered acceptable ?. Do we let the 11 play who have raised the most ?. Do we let people buy their way in?.

For Christ sake, Gareth. Please go back and re-read some suggestions (pledges, mass substitutions etc etc) and please stop referring to it as BUYING your way in. It's sponsorship money. You really haven't grasped this at all if you think that. But what is telling is the way you describe it sounds exactly like a closed shop. "Sling someone out" "buy your way in". You make it sound like selection for the team is automatic from one year to the next....

...oh hang on......

whole uniqueness off the games and the fund is that it is a bunch of BHAFC SUPPORTERS and CPFC supporters coming together and putting rivalry aside for the cause.

It seems people want this whole ethos and spirit of the fund jettisoned out for a dutch auction whereby whoever has bid the most will play regardless of their ability or even if they are BHAFC supporters. We could in future have a load of rich Chelsea fans playing for the BHAFC supporters..

Oh please. Stop with this fat cat analogy. The only people who want to play will be Brighton fans. Why in the world would a Chelsea fan want to play in a Brighton v Palace fans game? Please please engage brain before writing. The ethos would not be lost if there were fresh blood in the BHA team. In fact, you're more likely to get new audiences and more sponsorship money if the squad had a bit more rotation.

The just giving campaign last year was perfectly in that it raised £ 4000 but also every knew who was playing and people could see how much they raised. As people are saying the people in the team should be the ones that raised the most, what do we do in future, sling someone out who has not raised what is considered acceptable ?.

I genuinely don't understand your point here.

Lots of points have been raised from this thread and I will arrange an open meeting in May to discuss and decide the future format for the playing side of the BHAFC supporters and will invite the Eatons along as after all they will decide how they want their son remembered and honoured.

Genuine question - what is the point if the way that you (still) think is how you describe above?

I think that this thread shows that a lot of people would like to get more involved in playing. I'd say (and just my opinion) that it would DEFINITELY be in the spirit intended if it were more inclusive. So we have a few crap players on the pitch alongside some wonderkids, so they didn't know each other before - a couple of games of footie and drinks afterwards and lo and behold you've got new friendships formed.

And at the end of the day - the point of it is to raise money for underprivileged kiddies, so get in some fresh blood and you'll find that motivation to raise funds will be sky high.

All the above is posted with the best intentions, GG.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Jesus (somewhat aptly, today) - another day another dose of the same crap.

People wanted to know the criteria for getting into the Albion REMF team because it clearly wasn't on fund-raising or footballing abilities. It has now been explained how, basically, if you've played lots before you're going to be at the front of the queue to play again. We all know that now. Although many are surprised at this - they thought the aim was to raise as much money as possible - I think all appreciate the refreshing honesty that has been displayed in explaining that there are other factors at play too (camaraderie, continuity etc)

I don't think anyone is advocating a system where complete strangers effectively bid to play, but I think 'the Huffer effect' is an interesting one to consider a little bit further, if only because it's one thing that hasn't been explored on this thread...

I'd imagine if I was playing in my 5th or 7th REMF match and went to friends and colleagues asking for sponsorship then I'd be greeted with a few sighs. They'd have heard it all before, many times over. They'd probably have REMF-fatigue to a degree and I'd expect what I could raise would be limited as a result. Again, they'd probably not be overly-keen on coming along to the night itself either - been there, done that - the novelty would have worn off a bit.

Now consider someone new into the fray, as Simon was last year. Nearly everyone he approached would be new to the REMF. It would be their first opportunity to hear about Robert's tragic story, but that out of that tragedy, a shining light had emerged in the form of the REMF and some tremendously good work had been done. They'd be far more likely to sponsor some cash and, I imagine, would be amongst new faces coming along to spectate paying gate fees and taking part in raffles etc.

Outside of this, of course, are a hardy bunch of Albion fans and NSC users who will sponsor and come along to the game anyway - it's what they do every year.

My primary concern is that REMF and NSC go very much hand in hand, it's our 'official' charity. It has one marquee event each year. NSC has over 10,000 members, yet most of them effectively have no chance whatsoever of playing for REMf/The Albion/NSC in that match. They could be another Bob Geldof when it comes to raising funds, they could be the new Pele, they could be somewhere between but "you've not played before, you're not going to play now" is how they will be greeted.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I don't think a meeting before the match is necessary - it's too close to this year's game to have any effect. Any appropriate meeting should be there to clarify future matches, and would be better nearer to next year's match. But that's just my opinion.

Seeing as the primary objective is to raise money, I think everyone (players, officials, organisers, sponsors) should focus all their efforts on doing just that.

Everything else is a footnote.

Alan I said a meeting after REMF 9 in May. I will arrange it and invite the Eatons. We can decide the way forward and people can decide if they still want to be involved.

In the meantime please get behind the team and REMF 9 and thanks for all you are doing Al.

And Bozza I am sorry you think my points are " the same old crap " and I am not going to discuss it anymore. We can discuss it at the meeting.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Although I agree with the close shop view many people see of the squad, there have been new members of the squad added every season, for whatever reason that is.

Last year a few people were on holiday so 4 or 5 people got a chance to make their debuts.

This year there is a player making his debut, controversial decision maybe as Simon and Snoobs missed out, but thats not my decision. The manager made his decision and said why he has.

Two years ago a couple of people made their debut

I made my debut in 2004 and there are only 7 members of that squad still in the squad this year. Ricky is the only player from REMF 1 and only 2 people in the squad played in REMF 2

We also have two ex pros in the squad, so unfortunately that means that two people miss out in the squad. Wardy adds glamour to the tie and Marlowe comes down every year because of Robert's user name.

We could go with a big squad of say 22 but then it means that some players wouldnt play

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Never been involved in anything to do with REMF as ive not been on NSC long, but know a bit about the history 'cos my brother is heavily involved on the golf day section.
I think what you do is admirable and a lasting endorsement to Robert and that tragic event.
Reading this thread has amazed me, the amount of money that has been raised and the list of causes that it has assisted, brilliant, it must make Robert's family very proud, and all of you that raised those monies should also be proud.
So reading the petty arguements in this thread is IMHO a little sad.
I think I can see both sides of the arguement, why should it be the same names that play every year, why cant Bert play cos he is better than Fred, but Charlie has raised more than Alf, etc etc.
As has been said,the prime objective is to raise as much as possible for the fund and the showcase event is the match against the Palace supporters.
IMO you need to select a team that will represent BHA, NSC and REMF to a reasonable standard, I should imagine the Palace team is selected on talent rather than the best fundraisers, having beaten them for the last few years, the friendly rivalry will be increased so it is important to have a close game with hopefully with another home victory.
If the strength of our team was weakened because players are selected on the basis that they raised most cash, and Palace won a very one sided match, and the same thing happened next year, would not interest wain and the event may revert back to a kick about amongst two groups of fans, resulting in less sponsership and defeating the initial object.
Reading the posts, I feel a degree of sympathy for U.S, he is I assume chairman and heavily involved inthe fundraising, although nothing to do with the team selection. He is defending the REMF and what it stands for, but it is a no win situation because with only 16/17 places available for the squad, then there are bound to be a few unhappy members who think other players should be given a chance.
The other thing to remember is that the team that go onto the pitch need to know each others game otherwise it makes a shambles of a team, so perhaps that is another reason why so many of the players get reselected.
This is only an outsiders view, hope nobody gets upset and that the problems get resolved, I am looking forward to attend the match at Lewes and hope you raise as much as possible.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thanks, I am the chairman of the REMF 9 ( at the moment) and this thread has hugely upset me. I will try not to take it personally but if the REMF is being slated I do take it personally I am afraid. I am just astounded that people cannot look at the list of achievements we have done together and I assume think we could have done more and what we have done counts for nothing. Thats the assumption and people have incorrectly quoted me and others involved as saying that raising money from the game is not the objective. Well to spend 2 months planning for the event I can assure you it is. I have tried to see from all sides but am between a rock and a hard place. The Palace team raise some funds from sponsorship but not a huge amount. We are just happy for their involvement. Shall we start scrutinising what they raise and start beating them if it is perceived to be low.

I have re iterated numerous times on this thread the money from the game is raised from numerous sources and have aleady raised £ 1415 for REMF 9 before a ball is kicked.

Enough has come out of this thread for the meeting in May to be a necessity and we can decide the future and way forward for the fund with the Eatons agreement and we can decide our positions.

I hope the people who have been so vocal in their criticisms have the decency to turn up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I hope the people who have been so vocal in their criticisms have the decency to turn up.
Well personally, I will try. It's a shame you can't be as sanctimoneous towards the players who get to play year after year, while generating no sponsorship income for REMF though.

Edit: I don't mean "no sponsorship", I mean an insignificant amount, or a smaller contribution to organising the thing than in my opinion a place on the team is worth.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
How do you know. I made my comments about the fund raising this year 4 weeks ago when I said to have individual pages or did you selectively forget that. How do you know what I am trying to do now ?. And we have raised thousands from sponsorship over the last 8 games, around £ 8000 I would think so I am really getting pissed off now at the false accusations that the players do nothing and just turn up for the day on a jolly and then bugger off. If you think you can do better put yourself forward.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well personally, I will try. It's a shame you can't be as sanctimoneous towards the players who get to play year after year, while generating no sponsorship income for REMF though.

Maybe one day you will have to run an event where if one tiny thing goes wrong that evening the whole night will be ruined and you will end up looking like an idiot. There are numerous things to arrange and I have enough to do and leave it to the players to fund raise. I am not their boss. I am not their childminder and rely on them to do their bit. I will let you know the date of the meeting as I assume you will be there and we can discuss this face to face.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How do I know what? That you're not being sanctimoneous to the players? I am actually referring to this thread, to be honest where you HAVEN'T been. It's the same thread where you said it wasn't all about maximising income, then denied it.

And I'm afraid I can't put myself forward to head REMF. Even if I wanted to, it would clearly be too devisive, and to be honest I do more than my fair share for charity:

On my daughter's PSA - attend every monthly meeting, spend 4 weekends a year organising school fairs and such.
Help out for my local overseas aid trust charity "SMOAT" - various ad hoc functions
One Sunday a month, I spend a day driving local "lonely" old people to the church for a Sunday lunch, then ferry them all back again in my car.
Running the Brighton marathon in aid of a local special needs school
I've also helped out at a soup kitchen in Streatham at Christmas time (not on the day itself though) in the recent past (2 years ago)
Edit: silly me, also forgot the fact I run a 5 a side football night for the local school - raising £1000 last year.

I am also a father of two young kids, which take up the rest of my time.

Is that alright with you Gareth?

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Maybe one day you will have to run an event where if one tiny thing goes wrong that evening the whole night will be ruined and you will end up looking like an idiot. There are numerous things to arrange and I have enough to do and leave it to the players to fund raise. I am not their boss. I am not their childminder and rely on them to do their bit. I will let you know the date of the meeting as I assume you will be there and we can discuss this face to face.

The ice on which you skate is getting thinner by the hour.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thanks for the support Alan :facepalm:. Anyway have a good Easter I am off.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Thanks, I am the chairman of the REMF 9 ( at the moment) and this thread has hugely upset me. I will try not to take it personally but if the REMF is being slated I do take it personally I am afraid. I am just astounded that people cannot look at the list of achievements we have done together and I assume think we could have done more and what we have done counts for nothing. Thats the assumption and people have incorrectly quoted me and others involved as saying that raising money from the game is not the objective. Well to spend 2 months planning for the event I can assure you it is. I have tried to see from all sides but am between a rock and a hard place. The Palace team raise some funds from sponsorship but not a huge amount. We are just happy for their involvement. Shall we start scrutinising what they raise and start beating them if it is perceived to be low.

I have re iterated numerous times on this thread the money from the game is raised from numerous sources and have aleady raised £ 1415 for REMF 9 before a ball is kicked.

Enough has come out of this thread for the meeting in May to be a necessity and we can decide the future and way forward for the fund with the Eatons agreement and we can decide our positions.

Why has it upset you? Nearly everyone who commented has said that the REMF is a charity to be proud of, and many have praised you personally. Just because there are some issues over which people do no see eye to eye, does not make it "upsetting". People have quoted you (correctly), saying that raising as much money as possible is not as important as keeping the "spirit of REMF", which here means a fixed squad, who have played for many years and unless things change will do so for the forseeable future (I presume this is one of the issues the meeting in May attempts to address).

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The REMF game is about raising money. But it is also about winning. No-one wants to turn up and watch someone with a bit of cash who fancies a run out alongside Peter Ward. Andy has picked the best team, from what he knows of the players who have put themselves forward.

However I think we could have been a bit more professional about this. We should have chosen the squad before setting up the Fundraising page (and there's not a lot wrong with a joint page IMHO, although it does allow people to disappear from the effort of fundraising). Then people who are only going to donate if their mate is in the squad (and there's nothing wrong in that) could have made the decision that was right for them.

:)

Sense at last.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
I have inherited the responsibility for organising the team for REMF. This was because at the time of REMF2 I also ran the Brighton internet supporters team. I have never asked to be in charge of the REMF team, but I enjoy it and it is an honour.

I haven't had a chance to post on this thread before as yesterday was the last day of the tax year and I was very busy. I then went to the game.

Squad selection has never based been entirely on ability - I am sure there are 11 county league players who support Brighton who could play - or on who raises the most money - if this was the case we'd auction off the places.

There were an initial group of players who played in the first game, many of whom have posted on this thread, and this group have been added to with new players, and some players have dropped out for various reasons through the years.

I have picked a squad from the available players that I think can win the game. All of those people have a responsibility to raise as much money as they can for this cause. And I believe that they will. In my experience of these games, there is a optimum number of players to have in a squad. Any less than this and we don't have enough as people get tired and injured. Any more and it becomes a bit of like an England friendly and we risk losing the game due to mass substitutions.

I can understand why people see this as a bit of a closed shop, and to an extent it is as there will always be more people wishing to play than places available. But there are only about two players plus Ricky left from REMF 2. Many new players have joined the group, including this year.

Nobody has ever given me any criteria by which to choose my team. If I'm doing it wrong then I apologise. I'm trying to do the best I can for a cause I care about.

If people do want an explanation, Simon was in the squad last year to cover for people who were away. This year, I did not see him getting a game due to the players available in his position and I explained that to him. I have seen Snoobs play once. I wouldn't class him as our best player but he is a good player. In my opinion George who played in the friendly, is a better right midfielder. Other people may have different opinions on this and they are entitled to these. I was asked to name my squad early so people could get on with raising money. This meant I did not have another opportunity to see Snoobs play.

I was told that the next REMF game was going to be at Falmer but this was not public knowledge. It was my intention to open this game up to EVERYONE who has played in any of the REMF games and I was not too concerned about whether this would mean we may lose.

I am saddened that what should be a bit of fun to raise money for a great cause has come to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here