The referee's a wanker!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
First one, Buckley dive, or at least went down 'easily'. Second one for KLL the same, went down far too easily. Can't remember the 'foul' on Dicker so can't comment on that. Buckley dive earlier in the first half too, next to the away bench, not nice to see that coming into our game.

Your comment re LuaLua is utter rubbish. I was sitting in the disabled area in the southwest corner and it happened right in front of me - clear foul and defender should've gone.

And what do you mean " coming in to our game"? Do you think we are any different from any other team in the 4 divisions?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Here, here...loving the responses to the thread, the best yet!:clap2:

When you get 90% or so stranger's responses agreeing with you re. the ref and west stand lino then I'd say that you called this absolutely right. Granted, we should have been out of sight halfway through the second half but that ref was appalling today and nearly cost us the win. I can cope (just about) with a bad ref if he's even handed but you really have to question some of the that went against us especially in the second half.

Perhaps, and this is just me speculating, the ref thought at half time that he had made a few decisions in our favour in the first half (because I did think that a couple of times he gave us the benefit of the doubt early on) and made a mental note to even things up but if that was the case then he's an even worse ref. It will be interesting to see at what level the FA/FL decide to put him to for the next few games. I suspect it's league one or lower - or will be if there's any justice.

Is it in rugby where the ref can be interviewed after the game and asked for his reasoning behind key decisions? I don't see why refs can't do that in football. I'm not asking for them to face the Spanish Inquisition but it would help us as fans understand his job a bit more if there was transparency. It might also help the ref because it does rather make the ref think about his decisions. I get the feeling that they don't need to give a second thought to it because they have no need to justify any of the calls they make. Do the FA/FL give refs any feedback or review? Do they see the managers' report? This isn't rocket science and there is nothing wrong from learning from your past mistakes.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
You're wrong on at least two of those. I watched the highlights after the game and Buckley was clearly obstructed. KLL was too far away for me to be sure. The Dicker foul was in front of me and it was a clear foul, their player made no attempt to play the ball and impeded Dicker.
Well seeing as I only gave two views and you didn't see one of them, I don't get how I can be wrong on two accounts. We'll have to agree to disagree on the Buckley incident, given what I've seen of him before though it's no wonder I thought he went down easily.
Your comment re LuaLua is utter rubbish. I was sitting in the disabled area in the southwest corner and it happened right in front of me - clear foul and defender should've gone.

And what do you mean " coming in to our game"? Do you think we are any different from any other team in the 4 divisions?

Coming into our game such little dives here and there, going down easily, rolling around, asking the ref to give out cards etc. More stuff you'd expect to see in La Liga than the Championship. Just because other teams do it, doesn't mean we should :thumbsup:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Coming into our game such little dives here and there, going down easily, rolling around, asking the ref to give out cards etc. More stuff you'd expect to see in La Liga than the Championship. Just because other teams do it, doesn't mean we should :thumbsup:

Did you ever see Murray play at Withdean? He was brilliant at winning us soft free kicks especially when he was the only man forward. All teams have players who do it and we've had lots of players down the years who go down quicker than a 20 dollar whore, it's no big deal. What we saw today was something altogether different though. It was the inconsistency that drove me to distraction. As I've said earlier we had the rub of the green a few times in the first half but that second half was just about the most one-sided bit of refereeing I've seen since Southampton away last season and nearly cost us the win. Bearing in mind how tight this league is, 2 points dropped here and there can mean the difference between play-offs or mid-table obscurity. Considering the stakes we're playing for, the least we deserve and should expect is a good level of refereeing and consistency. I don't think the ref got anywhere near either attribute today.

Dec 29, 2011
Did you ever see Murray play at Withdean? He was brilliant at winning us soft free kicks especially when he was the only man forward. All teams have players who do it and we've had lots of players down the years who go down quicker than a 20 dollar whore, it's no big deal. What we saw today was something altogether different though. It was the inconsistency that drove me to distraction. As I've said earlier we had the rub of the green a few times in the first half but that second half was just about the most one-sided bit of refereeing I've seen since Southampton away last season and nearly cost us the win. Bearing in mind how tight this league is, 2 points dropped here and there can mean the difference between play-offs or mid-table obscurity. Considering the stakes we're playing for, the least we deserve and should expect is a good level of refereeing and consistency. I don't think the ref got anywhere near either attribute today.

I agree the ref was inconsistent, he got nearly every decision wrong yesterday. However I'm making the point wrong isn't always against us, in the first thirty minutes he gave everything our way and ignored them, and the reverse for the last 45 minutes, yet people are making out the ref was paid by Derby or something, just trying to add some perspective.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When you get 90% or so stranger's responses agreeing with you re. the ref and west stand lino then I'd say that you called this absolutely right. Granted, we should have been out of sight halfway through the second half but that ref was appalling today and nearly cost us the win. I can cope (just about) with a bad ref if he's even handed but you really have to question some of the that went against us especially in the second half.

Perhaps, and this is just me speculating, the ref thought at half time that he had made a few decisions in our favour in the first half (because I did think that a couple of times he gave us the benefit of the doubt early on) and made a mental note to even things up but if that was the case then he's an even worse ref. It will be interesting to see at what level the FA/FL decide to put him to for the next few games. I suspect it's league one or lower - or will be if there's any justice.

Is it in rugby where the ref can be interviewed after the game and asked for his reasoning behind key decisions? I don't see why refs can't do that in football. I'm not asking for them to face the Spanish Inquisition but it would help us as fans understand his job a bit more if there was transparency. It might also help the ref because it does rather make the ref think about his decisions. I get the feeling that they don't need to give a second thought to it because they have no need to justify any of the calls they make. Do the FA/FL give refs any feedback or review? Do they see the managers' report? This isn't rocket science and there is nothing wrong from learning from your past mistakes.

Don't think there is anything preventing them from being interviewed but I suspect that, collectively, they have decided not to do it. Shame but in their shoes I would probably do the same as the only questions they would be asked by reporters would be about mistakes they have made which have been seen on tv on numerous angles.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not to mention Lua Lua pulled back when clean through.

If the ref was a bellend for not giving that, then the lino was an absolute ****. He had a clear view - everyone in the stadium saw it, but somehow he didn't. Presumably he didn't have the balls to flag when the ref didn't give it. Disgrace.

Overall, in total agreement - the worst officials we've seen at the Amex this season.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I thought this ref had a bit of a hard time by fellow supporters. Got the ones that mattered right, even if it was against us unfortunately!

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand

Unfortunately all referee's were briefed about Bale's dive against Sunderland and that if anything was similar to this (ref position and nature of the game) then leniency will be met with the officials. Again, not convenient but the referee should be in a far greater position in that situation.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That ref incensed me, whistlehappy and got so many decisions wrong, for both sides. I'd love to see a replay of when he blew up for the fouls on Bridcutt when he wriggled through about 4 players and came out with the ball. We have had some good refs this year in some games and playing the advantage to keep play flowing is the sign of a good ref IMO. Not been so upset with a refereeing performance for a long time.

chunky44

Mar 29, 2010
Chailey
I think he knew barnes goal might be offside and after that seemed determined to even things up. The decision to not brandish a red card and somehow decide that Buckley being bundled down as the last man warranted a derby free kick was shocking and smacked of a sympathy decision.

Overall I thought he was really inconsistent in his decisions for both sides and along with his hapless assistants looked way out of their depth refereeing at this level

SPOT ON!:clap2:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd forgotten about that one.
I had a great view but over in the north east it was hard to see the full extent.

My gut reaction was definite foul, but KLL 'made sure'.

I wonder if the ref was reacting to the coverage Lopez got v NUFC.

Mar 10, 2006
Strange how no-one has mentioned Clough's part in all this. Right from ko he was intimidating the 4th official and the linesman and rather than deal with him the ref also became intimidated by him and started blowing up non stop. Surely this was part of derby's game plan to break the game up and stop us playing with any momentum and it seemed to work as the game wore on. Weak refereeing to allow a manger to run a game like that.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Have to agree with both these. Clearly got the man before the ball but shouldn't have been a free kick. Trouble was that we should have been 4 up before they scored. Buckley went through but then went left and narrowed the angle just shooting straight at the keeper and then when Barnes should of shot early but got held up and laid it off to Buckley and Orlandi following in should have put it to the right of the goal instead of back towards the keeper who scrambled it away (cue some muppet referring to text book shooting back across the keeper!!!)

if he got the man before the ball as you say - why isn't it a free kick?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
My mate on his Iphone stopwatch timed it at 5 mins 22 secs injury time yesterday
where the hell did the twat in black get that extra 1 min 22 secs from ??
I know it always says the time added is a mimimum BUT REALLY ????

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I just wish refs like him would be sat down and told their job is not to be centre of attention, as he seemed determined to be. He broke up the flow of the game at every opportunity and completely lost control dishing out countless yellows in a game that wasn't remotely dirty. The yellow for orlandi was absurd, the free kick against buckley when cleaned out last man was farcical, and stopping play after bridcutt had wriggled out of 4 blokes fouling him was the icing on the cake. As my mate pointed out, it says a lot when, having won the game, a home crowd still boos you off the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports