Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"The players that I really, really like we cannot afford" - Poyet

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I see the keyboard mongs are out in force tonight, some people seem to think they know everything to do with Gus' plans and club finances when really, nobody knows. I can't believe some people are saying that Gus isn't up for it anymore. What, the guy who has has been known to transform fairly average players into good players (Barnes, Vincelot, Bridcutt) and won us the league in his first full season as a manager? Some people seem to think we have some divine right to be in the premier league and just when we start hitting a bad patch that's when we hear them. Jesus Christ.

BENTON!!! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Other than that, well composed post. I completely agree with you, and I would add Adam El-Abd into the average to good examples. He is, for me, Gus' finest bit of work on the coaching field so far, and Taricco too. For all their histrionics on the touchline and their Latin approach to grace and etiquette, we have a manager and an assistant who fight for our cause. I wouldn't like them if they were in charge of another club, but they're in charge of ours and I love the pair of them. What they have achieved at this club already far surpasses the job that all other managers (Jeff Wood :lolol: onwards, I can't really comment before him) have done, with the possible exception of Micky Adams first time around and a notable mention has to go to Brian Horton, who would have done what Micky did had he not left so soon.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Weird comment to make. Pisses off existing team, owner, players he is currently talking to about coming in and fans. There is no upside for him, other than to effectively say "dont blame me for results" - which in itself isnt a good message either!

Hardly. Just a statement of fact. Players know the score. Bristol City manager made almost exactly the same statement on Wednesday. Also, helps to bring fans' expectations into line with the real world (somewhere that very few on NSC seem to inhabit!)

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
No. He got us out of League One with a record number of points ever, record number of weeks at number one spot and we are just 4 points off the playoffs in our first season back in the Championship midway through. We are at our highest level in December since 1985. Of course this season isn't going to be a doddle as we're playing teams who have spent decades at this level and above and vastly more experienced at it than us. If we stick with Poyet, we'll get to the Premiership some time in the next few years.

i agree with Thunder Bolt, he is talking sense here. As mentioned before what is it with Getting on Gus's back, so we are not doing as well as Southampton, but how many of us would have given to finish mid table when we went up?

Stop bitching and f***ing moaning, get back on the Gus bus, and support the team...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Poyet talks too much and I think the club should assign someone to him who can run through what he is going to say and edit for obvious reasons.
He seems to feel the need to air his opinion on everything all the time and can't or dosen't want to stay out of the limelight.
Quite frankly when I see a thread which starts with something like 'Poyet says..................',. I think what pearls of wisdom are we in for now.
It has got to the stage where I expect to see his comments on the GFC and who should be the Pope, published.
The commenting may have been a scource of amusement at first but now it is becominging a joke or cringeworthy IMHO.

Maybe Gus has a solution to the Euro debt crisis. If so please let us know.

Must The Albion now be a collection, rather than a team?
What I'm suggesting here is that Gus has shown and continues to emphasise an ongoing shopping list. Will there be a point when the squad of players can feel settled and comfortable as a 'team'?

Example - when 'the Crazy Gang' of Wimbledon blazed up the league, it certainly appeared to be a group effort from an united team of players. Okay so no club is going to come from a lower league to crown the English game with exactly the same compliment all the way through, but it's my suspicion that there is a constant shopping list, and an almost random association with players that suddenly appear with us....and don't appear to be here for any long-term future in the first team.

The talents who are apparently bubbling under in the reserves or youth squads, and threatening to make an impact in the first team must wonder what they have to do - when some new bloke goes straight into the first team and yet still doesn't appear to be all that good!

Is Gus all about this 'expensive wish list'?
He is no longer instructing Tottenham Hotspur's millionaire players on behalf of a guy who cannot speak (or learn) English - and when he was, THEY weren't even successful high-paid players!

Time, in my opinion, that Gus took a humble stand as a hopeful new manager, of a group of lads that are happy wearing the stripes, and emphasised solidarity with a core squad. We, and they, are hearing a bit too much about who-we'd-like-to-buy. If we were to threaten promotion, many players who are happy at Brighton must be painfully suspicious that they won't be included in future plans should we go up.

Last edited:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
How expensive would it cost to get back up for defence and full backs? BACK UP for gods sake so Tarricco can retire and we have option for Calde (would rather see Reyes in the middle)

Then we can worry about a B2B midfielder and maybe a GK.

I still believe weve got all the strikers we need... provided we play to the strengths i.e. have a good Harley/Vicente type provider as well as our wingers.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Must The Albion now be a collection, rather than a team?
What I'm suggesting here is that Gus has shown and continues to emphasise an ongoing shopping list. Will there be a point when the squad of players can feel settled and comfortable as a 'team'?

Example - when 'the Crazy Gang' of Wimbledon blazed up the league, it certainly appeared to be a group effort from an united team of players. Okay so no club is going to come from a lower league to crown the English game with exactly the same compliment all the way through, but it's my suspicion that there is a constant shopping list, and an almost random association with players that suddenly appear with us....and don't appear to be here for any long-term future in the first team.

The talents who are apparently bubbling under in the reserves or youth squads, and threatening to make an impact in the first team must wonder what they have to do - when some new bloke goes straight into the first team and yet still doesn't appear to be all that good!

Is Gus all about this 'expensive wish list'?
He is no longer instructing Tottenham Hotspur's millionaire players on behalf of a guy who cannot speak (or learn) English - and when he was, THEY weren't even successful high-paid players!

Time, in my opinion, that Gus took a humble stand as a hopeful new manager, of a group of lads that are happy wearing the stripes, and emphasised solidarity with a core squad. We, and they, are hearing a bit too much about who-we'd-like-to-buy. If we were to threaten promotion, many players who are happy at Brighton must be painfully suspicious that they won't be included in future plans should we go up.

Like it or not, the constant shopping list is how modern football works. Additionally there have always been temporary/interim players who are brought in to "do a job" or fill a gap.

Also if we do get promotion (whenever that maybe), then of course he would look to bolster the team and make high profile signings. Modern footballers know how it works, just as some may not make the grade at a higher level, others will be happy to make that jump to a higher level earlier by signing with someone else.

Back to the OP. Nothing wrong with what he has said. Every player should be aware that their place is not assured, this is a competitive sport.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Poyet is a good manager but with all his comments I feel he is not the Man to take us onto Premiership glory. Anyone else think this ?
Its clear as a young manager poyet has a bloody lot to learn,you can't go around blabbing about players you would love as it disrespects the players we have.

Poyet needs to get over his obsession with top class players while we,re in the championship.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
i cant wait until 31/1/12 when we have the news that someone "big" is signing and the thread reaches 150,000 posts and 800 pages only to find out Hesky turned us down to join Gillingham.....

joking a side, he has a gem up his sleeve which is going to debut against Brizzie City, other clubs will be astounded when he makes his debut.......watch this space.[/QUOTE]

We've been here before I'm afraid. I do want to believe you, but I can't!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Poyet is a good manager but with all his comments I feel he is not the Man to take us onto Premiership glory. Anyone else think this ?

I'm not writing him off yet! Next season will be his true test, improved budget and an understanding of this division and I think anything less than a play off position will be regarded as a failure at TB HQ.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
For me Poyet just says all the wrong things, all the time and its becoming quite boring. He is turning into a one trick pony, with the same comments all the time regarding different subjects...Refs, budgets etc etc....He says he has not got the money to sign the players he wants. One word "Vicente".....and for all those who say that it was a gamble, just look at the guys stats for the last few years. It was not a gamble, it was pure stupid management and to praise him up the way Gus did, was nothing short of insane, when you got a group of players sitting top of the table...Where are we now???

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I'm not writing him off yet! Next season will be his true test, improved budget and an understanding of this division and I think anything less than a play off position will be regarded as a failure at TB HQ.

I've got a gut feeling that Poyet wont be here next season. I can see him packing up all his toys and walking tbh.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
3 points off a play off place, 11 points from a relegation spot with half a season still to play?

Whilst you are factually correct, that does not really tell the story does it...We have been playing shit for some time now, with just the odd glimpse of something better.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Whilst you are factually correct, that does not really tell the story does it...We have been playing shit for some time now, with just the odd glimpse of something better.

Not to mention FAILING to even get a shot on goal in some matches of late as well, you're never going to achieve much without even shooting and the manager appears not to notice this?...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We won 3 straight before this last run. Personally I think we're going to finish mid-table ish, and this is not entirely the manager's fault. He hasn't had nearly the luck he had with injuries last season, for example.

My BEEF with Poyet is not the quality of player he has attracted, nor what comes out of his mouth (the media will always twist things, fans will read things into the tiniest sentence taken out of context), it is the constant shoulder shrugging and woe-is-me bullshit that he uses to excuse our appalling disciplinary record. Not good enough!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here