Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I think they are. There are signs up in places

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How have so many got tickets to the velodrome? :angry: they've built it far too small.
This is true, but of course we've only really OWNED the velodrome since Beijing. Coupled with Le Tour success and the fact that London is slowly being turned into a proper cycling city, and not only will velodrome tix be as rare as rocking horse shit, but the black market prices will be insane. However, they could have built it twice as big (and possibly would have done if they had known how good we'd be 7 years ago) and it would still come nowhere near satisfying demand.

We live about 6 miles from Box Hill and are not even going to try and get to the road cycling, as it is going to be absolutely rammed around there.

Incidentally, anyone who is thinking of going, be prepared for a LONG hike. You have to park at one of the two Dorking stations and then WALK up Box Hill. That is steep, and probably too far away if you're thinking of taking kids of, say, 6 or under.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I drove part of the route yesterday and would suggest that the local council need to get out there and fix the surface in places. I'm glad i'm not cycling on it.
My wife went up there two days ago with friends and kids, and there were loads of teams checking out the course. The Americans in particular were scrutinising the whole course, so I'm fairly sure the odd problematic pot hole would have been duly noted if indeed it hasn't been filled before the races start...

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
We live about 6 miles from Box Hill and are not even going to try and get to the road cycling, as it is going to be absolutely rammed around there.

Incidentally, anyone who is thinking of going, be prepared for a LONG hike.

Simster - I live about 20 miles away. My plan is to cycle out there tomorrow morning (approaching from the East, arriving around 8am) and watch from Box Hill village. Does you local knowledge tell you I'm heading for disappointment?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simster - I live about 20 miles away. My plan is to cycle out there tomorrow morning (approaching from the East, arriving around 8am) and watch from Box Hill village. Does you local knowledge tell you I'm heading for disappointment?
I think that is probably the best way to travel. However, I strongly advise that you get there early as they are clearly expecting HUGE crowds and there are barriers everywhere, even up the zig zag hill. In fact, I think you should be prepared to park your bike a good mile or two away and walk the last bit into the village.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Come on the French do it every year, get your camping chairs out, some beer and pasties and watch the world and his bike go past. Its been a long time since GB has had what we could class as a one day classic. At the least go and give the wonderfil Lizzie Armistead a shout on Sunday.

Attachments

• MR T.jpg
    MR T.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 27

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Got me a parking space in a field at Lower Box Hill, imagine it may get muddy on Sunday. Just done a big feature on BBC news with CAV and the mens team, bloody exciting this is on our and especially Simsters door step.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I think that is probably the best way to travel. However, I strongly advise that you get there early as they are clearly expecting HUGE crowds and there are barriers everywhere, even up the zig zag hill. In fact, I think you should be prepared to park your bike a good mile or two away and walk the last bit into the village.

I'll be all right as long as they let us walk/cycle up the kilometre up to the village from the Eastern-most bit of the loop, where Headley Common Road meets Boxhill Road. Will be much easier if there are no barriers all the way up Boxhill Road (do you know if there are?). The roads are being closed at 4am (to motor traffic at least) so there's no way I'm going to arrive before that!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At the least go and give the wonderfil Lizzie Armistead a shout on Sunday.
I did her more than a shout :facepalm: :down:

she has more competition from inside her team, than the rest of the world.
The least harmonious squad in all of British cycling.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Pure perseverence on the veledrome ticket front, got them in the last round after spending what felt like days over about two years of clicking throught the same three pages.

However also tried for mountain biking and did'nt get a sniff, I work a lot in Essex and people out there were desperate for them. Enjoy it, arent they one of the last events.

Weather looks good tomorrow for Mens Road race, but very wet for Womens Road race on Sunday.

Yes, it's on the last Sunday. Looking forward to it - went to some sort of mountain bike championships in Stanmer Park years ago which was great.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

The crowds will be absolutely MENTAL. There were 2 million people on the (much longer) tour de france route the other year. Imagine twice as many people in a quarter of the space!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is true, but of course we've only really OWNED the velodrome since Beijing. .

We OWNED the velodrome as far back as Sydney, actually.

I was out there, and it was terribly amusing - the Aussies, who were much more of a power on the track then, than they have been recently, were rather taken by surprise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mark Cavendish ‏[MENTION=12437]Mark[/MENTION]Cavendish
I am nervous.

Not the only one, sunshine.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
For the first time since I moved out 5 yrs ago, I'm really missing London. I want to be back there cycling around. What a fantastic city. Possibly the best in the world.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Superstar status for our Brad, at the opening ceremony.

I wonder who's place he took, a week ago?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports