Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Going to watch it near Headley as easy to get to from my girlfriends parents in Tadworth. Anybody have any idea when they will be starting the first circuit of Box hill. (I am hoping that I have got it right in that Headley Common road forms part of the circuit they loop around?)

http://www.london2012.com/cycling-road/event/men-road-race/coursemap/

Click on the stopwatches to see the approximate timings

EDIT: if you zoom in on the map more stopwatches become available

Last edited:

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Great stuff you must be really excited.

Absolutely! It's been a great experience so far, and I'm sure the 'main event' won't disappoint. Hope everyone who's going - or watching on TV - enjoys themselves.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Got tickets for Box Hill on Saturday and Sunday, and going to the time trial. Also got a session at the velodrome that includes the women's team pursuit - which is one of our most nailed-on cycling golds, I reckon (and that statement will just have jinxed each of Dani King, Jo Rowsell, Laura Trott and Wendy Houvenaghel).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The question is:-

Will our track team be able to maintain the domination of 4 years, ago?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm going to see the Mens and Womens team sprints next Thursday - should be fun and hopefully a medal or two to celebrate.

D

Deleted member 18477

You could start by posting pics of Victoria Pendleton looking incredibly shaggable. Chop chop.

article-2166842-13DCD883000005DC-99_634x924.jpgSNN2103AN--_1551595a.jpg

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
The question is:-

Will our track team be able to maintain the domination of 4 years, ago?

I'm sure we'll win both Individual Pursuits again. Oh... :-(

Well at least we'll get gold and silver in the Men's Individual Sprint again. Oh... :-(

f*** the UCI, and f*** FINA too!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sure we'll win both Individual Pursuits again. Oh... :-(

Well at least we'll get gold and silver in the Men's Individual Sprint again. Oh... :-(

f*** the UCI, and f*** FINA too!

Entirely this, with regard to the programming. How can they just scrap events? It would be like suddenly deciding that they would no longer hold the 200m or the discuss, in the athletics.

What have FINA done?

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
I'm going to Putney to watch it.......but with someone who is not a boozer.

So my question is - what do we do in Putney or area for 5 hours until the riders
come back through?

London Wetlands, a great place to spend a few hours.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Saturday and Sunday tickets on box hill.

It will be almost impossible for Team GB to Marshall this like SKY did in the Tour de France as teams have been reduced from 9 down to 5, also it will be in most teams interests not to work for GB as they will only give CAV an easy ride to the Mall. Even if CAV gets him self quickly over the climbs they will sap his energy levels as well.

Lone or small break aways should be reeled in with 50 plus k run into the finish. The danger will be a breakaway group of about 10-15 that could work together and stay away, perhaps GB have a plan B and would put a Miller/Stannard in it and then let it go.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am a 'Games Maker' at the Velodrome - excited to say the least!

We went to the World Championship in Febuary and all the volunters were lovely and most the stewards were excited as they were guarenteed the spots they were working on the olympics. We are there for the Womens Team pursuit on the Saturday night, cannot wait. Have a great time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saturday and Sunday tickets on box hill.

It will be almost impossible for Team GB to Marshall this like SKY did in the Tour de France as teams have been reduced from 9 down to 5, also it will be in most teams interests not to work for GB as they will only give CAV an easy ride to the Mall. Even if CAV gets him self quickly over the climbs they will sap his energy levels as well.

Lone or small break aways should be reeled in with 50 plus k run into the finish. The danger will be a breakaway group of about 10-15 that could work together and stay away, perhaps GB have a plan B and would put a Miller/Stannard in it and then let it go.
I don't see how they can have a plan B, if plan A fails.

I see Froome as the 'spare part'.

Stan & Miller, get Cav to the final 50 k's in contention.
Wiggo & Froome bring him home.

Wiggo, The US and Germans could do the Cav job, leaving Froome free to fly earlier if a 'proper' attack goes in the latter stages of Box Hill.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The Italiens have a good squad and Nibali may fancy his chances, with Bettini now manager they may and try and get some alliances and into bigger break away groups.

Sacha Modolo, Vincenzo Nibali, Luca Paolini, Marco Pinotti and Matteo Trentin

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm going to Putney to watch it.......but with someone who is not a boozer.

So my question is - what do we do in Putney or area for 5 hours until the riders
come back through?
...and the Denbies Wine Estate. The official London 2012 "Live Sites" at Hyde Park and Victoria Park will also have big screens.
Retweeted by William Fotheringham
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
57m Cycling Weekly ‏@cyclingweekly
...West Byfleet Recreational Ground, Pyrford Cricket Club, Dorking High Street, Leatherhead High Street, Redhouse Grounds (Leatherhead)...
Retweeted by William Fotheringham
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
57m Cycling Weekly ‏@cyclingweekly
For people asking, there are big screens at certain points along the Olympic road race routes. These include Putney, Esher Green...

Stuff will be going on, right there.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I don't see how they can have a plan B, if plan A fails.

I see Froome as the 'spare part'.

Stan & Miller, get Cav to the final 50 k's in contention.
Wiggo & Froome bring him home.

Wiggo, The US and Germans could do the Cav job, leaving Froome free to fly earlier if a 'proper' attack goes in the latter stages of Box Hill.

I think they may have a Plan B in case they get a repeat of the Melbourne Worlds when Cav got spat out the back pretty early.

Mind you, I was there and the climb was absolutely vicious at the top (1 in 4) so I don't think its quite so bad for this race.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I think they may have a Plan B in case they get a repeat of the Melbourne Worlds when Cav got spat out the back pretty early.

Mind you, I was there and the climb was absolutely vicious at the top (1 in 4) so I don't think its quite so bad for this race.

I've also just had a look at the cyclingnews.com preview of the course. The circuit itself looks pretty nasty - narrow and poorly surfaced in quite a few places. I think the teams will try and make it really fast early on to drop any lesser nations/dead weight that might make things dangerous. A break will only stay away if its got the right mix of coutries represented - they'll need at least one each from Italy, France, Spain, Germany, Australia (?USA) otherwise there's 55km from the top of the last ascent of Box Hill in to the finish. All on nice big wide roads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here