Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Official' Olympic thread - sub section - Cycling

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
I am also a cycling nut and was thinking of getting along to the Box Hill circuit area on Saturday....can anyone recommend a place where
I can park up, with my cycle on the rack and ride the rest of the way. I dont know the area at all....but assume Dorking/Leatherhead will be
very busy...may have to do a reccie on google maps...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am also a cycling nut and was thinking of getting along to the Box Hill circuit area on Saturday....can anyone recommend a place where
I can park up, with my cycle on the rack and ride the rest of the way. I dont know the area at all....but assume Dorking/Leatherhead will be
very busy...may have to do a reccie on google maps...

Wow, their is lots of information on the offical site. The local council as welll.

Surrey County Council - Olympic cycle race days spectator information

I would head for Denbies Vineyard where their is a cycling expo put on by the Surrey Hills cycling club and will have a big BBC screen showing the race. You will be within easy access to the course as well.

A free cycle Expo with some of the biggest brands in cycling | A festival, BBC Live Site and cycle expo alongside the Olympic Road Race route | Surrey Hills Road Race Festival

Sounds mad but most my cycling was done in Sussex so I do not know the area, it depends on where you are travelling from as access from the North and North East will be hampered by early and late road closures, as for parking we are on Box Hill and have pre paid for an offical space in a field below.

Parking details here, I have not seen anything on when and if you can cycle on the race route, LOCOG may be a bit less accomdating than the Tour de France.

Surrey County Council - Car and coach parking on the Olympic race days

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A quote from the Cycling expo site states the following

By bike: You'll be able to cycle along the A24 to the festival. There will be bicycle parking on site.

Looks like you can possibly cycle around then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ayu5kV_CMAAdQsV.jpg

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Parking details here, I have not seen anything on when and if you can cycle on the race route, LOCOG may be a bit less accomdating than the Tour de France.

During our final training session on Saturday, the question was raised regarding [amateur] cyclists on the race route. The official answer given was "yes, this will be permitted when the roads are closed, but the police will decide when everybody must get off the course [as the race draws closer]."

Hope this helps :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ayvs8WcCMAAleoN.jpg

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Don't expect any medals cycling fans, this isn't the Tour, the road race is too much of a lottery and Bradley will probably only get Bronze in the TT after Switzerland and Germany. I'm deliberately talking us down but facts are facts

Last edited:

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
I have ended up with a spare ticket for Box Hill as my Danish brother in-law has let me down. £15 face value. Any takers? I can meet you at Dorking train station at 7.30 for collection. PM me if your interested

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
A single days road race is no way to determine the world or Olympic champion of cycling. It should be a stage race spanning 1or 2 weeks of the Olympics. A much better way of deciding gold silver bronze shirley?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't expect any medals cycling fans, this isn't the Tour, the road race is too much of a lottery and Bradley will probably only get Bronze in the TT after Switzerland and Germany. I'm deliberately talking us down but facts are facts
I am finding myself thinking, 'it's not the worlds, it's not the worlds'.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
How have so many got tickets to the velodrome? :angry: they've built it far too small.

Going to mountain biking (which you didn't mention [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]) and the time trials at Esher.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
A single days road race is no way to determine the world or Olympic champion of cycling. It should be a stage race spanning 1or 2 weeks of the Olympics. A much better way of deciding gold silver bronze shirley?

The present format is the best.

It allows nations with relatively small cycling programs to at least have a rider involved.

If it lasted over a longer period there would only be 5-6 nations involved.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The present format is the best.

It allows nations with relatively small cycling programs to at least have a rider involved.

If it lasted over a longer period there would only be 5-6 nations involved.

True, and has its actually not a massive deal in cycling lots of riders wouldn't do another stage race so close to the tour.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
How have so many got tickets to the velodrome? :angry: they've built it far too small.

Going to mountain biking (which you didn't mention [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]) and the time trials at Esher.

Pure perseverence on the veledrome ticket front, got them in the last round after spending what felt like days over about two years of clicking throught the same three pages.

However also tried for mountain biking and did'nt get a sniff, I work a lot in Essex and people out there were desperate for them. Enjoy it, arent they one of the last events.

Weather looks good tomorrow for Mens Road race, but very wet for Womens Road race on Sunday.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Oh joy - a soggy day in Surrey awaits me. It can't be as wet as Beijing though, surely?!

I doubt it I remember it being very misty and wet on the road race course up in the hills at the last olympics. It shouldnt be cold, and forecast for a real downpour Sunday so just pack an umbrella, we have out Tour de France ones to hand.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Does anyone know why Denbies is only showing the beginning and end of the race on the big screen? Seems a bit of a nonsense to me as it won't be particularly easy to get from there to watch it 'live' - the nearest points where you'll be able to see it will presumably be packed out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here