Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official Brighton Marathon 2013 thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Matt Prior, Sussex & England BATTERER.
Oo, the wicker man, I think I might say hello, thanks. I won't bother staying to take photos of Brighton fans giving him a high 5 this year though.

The big question is, will Matt pretend to let the hooter off early - hold your breath everyone.

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
Please could runners post their race numbers so we can pick the heroes out and cheer them on

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
4th Brighton Marathon for me on Sunday. Its a great race, and the the crowd support is immense.

I may well be sobbing a bit at the end, just because thats what running marathons do to me .

I'm number 10483.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Blimey, just the mere title of this thread gets me excited, and nervous at the same time - nice one Edna.

I've just had a load of pasta (again), and, *touches wood* am feeling good about Sunday. However, the fact that I've done little running this week is very odd – very tempted by parkrun on Saturday as a little warm up for the main event.

As posted on the other thread, I'm #12981, hoping to be closer to 3:30 than 4:00, and looking forward to picking up my pack at the expo tomorrow.

I've not run a marathon for 10 years, but the support you get in other races is amazing, and London 2003 was an immense experience. I've heard good things about Brighton, and the cheers really do help you a lot, so if you are going down to support, make sure you make some noise!

Good luck to all the other runners – NSC community and beyond.

cpfc remf captain

Jul 6, 2003
Lets hope you have the same sort of result on sat as you did the day before the marathon last year, only joking but it was good fun when some runners gave me stick for it just because i had a Brighton shirt on.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Blimey, just the mere title of this thread gets me excited, and nervous at the same time - nice one Edna.

I've just had a load of pasta (again), and, *touches wood* am feeling good about Sunday.

I've not run a marathon for 10 years, but the support you get in other races is amazing, and London 2003 was an immense experience. I've heard good things about Brighton, and the cheers really do help you a lot, so if you are going down to support, make sure you make some noise!

Good luck to all the other runners – NSC community and beyond.

Same here. It's pasta followed by pasta, and more pasta. With garlic bread (hey, bread is a carbohydrate, right?).

Quite looking forward to having a nose round the Expo tomorrow. For non runners, you can pick up cheering cards to write your messages on, like they do at the darts. Except less moronic, obviously.

It's being covered by Channel 4 I think, if you want to catch up later. Hopefully they will spend some time on the atmosphere & the fun runners rather than just the proper athletes.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Running London the week after for the Martlets Hospice, so stewarding Brighton. In zone 5 and hope to be at the bottom of Grand Avenue as per last year. Have to check in at 7.30 and zone 5 on duty til 3pm so hope the weather is OK, but not too warm for the runners. Good luck to everyone on Sunday, I will look out for everybody I know who is running, I love the atmosphere on the day, its so so amazing, love it. Dont forget the Brighton marathon highlights will be shown on Channel 4, from what I can see 7.05am on Saturday 20th April!

My just giving page is at Mark Raven is fundraising for The Martlets Hospice
if any one has any spare pennies! Cheers

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Running London the week after for the Martlets Hospice, so stewarding Brighton. In zone 5 and hope to be at the bottom of Grand Avenue as per last year. Have to check in at 7.30 and zone 5 on duty til 3pm so hope the weather is OK, but not too warm for the runners. Good luck to everyone on Sunday, I will look out for everybody I know who is running, I love the atmosphere on the day, its so so amazing, love it. Dont forget the Brighton marathon highlights will be shown on Channel 4, from what I can see 7.05am on Saturday 20th April!

My just giving page is at Mark Raven is fundraising for The Martlets Hospice
if any one has any spare pennies! Cheers

Same here (apart from the stewarding the Brighton Marathon)!

Am running for Martlets in the London one a week later, only 4 runs left until the big one.

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday, I know how much you've put in and am slightly jealous that you will get the immense sense of accomplishment a week earlier than me! That said, born and raised in south east london so am gonna be pretty choked up as I run round my old stomping grounds.

Aiming for under 4.5 hours, if pacing work out it should be closer to 4 hours.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am running it, and nerves are really kicking in now. Here's my donation page:

Craig Peters is fundraising for Dementia UK

I haven't even done a half-marathon so I'm not really sure what I've let myself in for. I have spent over £600 on physio treatments and osteopath appointments so I think when I cross the line it's just going to be the biggest sense of relief I've ever felt. In fact my osteopath told me to stop training a month ago as my injuries (mainly shin splints) were just flaring up so much so I've been tapering down since then. What hasn't helped is I went down with sinusitis last week and it has wiped me out - two weeks' worth of antibiotics and two months' worth of steroid nose drops.

One thing I've also been struggling with is a numbness in my left-leg. You could set your watch by it - 45mins into a run and I get pins and needles right down my left leg and it goes so heavy. Anyone else experienced anything like this? I don't have my shoes too tight so can rule that out.

Anyway, good luck to everyone involved. I'll be the one crumpled into the foetal positition sobbing like a little girl at the end.

My favourite post. Hope you don't get drugs tested. It's given me a boost to get to the finish. I was feeling bad as missed the whole of March and can't reach target time. Now I am determined to finish and get to The Fortune of War even if I end up in the foetal position sobbing.
Race number 5475, Martlets vest from 2011(Vintage) in a lovely shiny purple colour , which my bald head will probably match by the finish, nipple plasters, small face flannel to wipe of the Harveys sweating out my pores and a pair of blue ASIC DS Racers.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Same here (apart from the stewarding the Brighton Marathon)!

Am running for Martlets in the London one a week later, only 4 runs left until the big one.

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday, I know how much you've put in and am slightly jealous that you will get the immense sense of accomplishment a week earlier than me! That said, born and raised in south east london so am gonna be pretty choked up as I run round my old stomping grounds.

Aiming for under 4.5 hours, if pacing work out it should be closer to 4 hours.

I'm doing London as well, having done the last two Brighton ones I fancied a different challenge. I'm aiming for 4.15 but will be happy to best my 4.28 pb from last year.

I'm running for Macmillan Cancer Support so if anyone is feeling generous.........

Lee Burberry is fundraising for Macmillan Cancer Support

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Picking up my pack this afternoon. Race Number 15646. This shit just got real. 4th Brighton Marathon. 4th Marathon.
2010 time 04:55:27
2011 time 04:32:32
2012 time 04:00:10

I'll be happy with anything under 4 hours.

Good luck everyone!

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Did it two years ago when after all that training in the freezing cold, it was bloody boiling on the day. You don't notice it at the start but any heat at all takes its toll if you're not used to it - especially for me. Luckily I grabbed a bandana before I left home and that protected my baldy head. My water stop strategy went right out the window too.

Just something to keep in mind for all you running it this year as it looks to be fairly warm on Sunday. The very best of luck to all of you. Stay safe and enjoy it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Picking up my pack this afternoon. Race Number 15646. This shit just got real. 4th Brighton Marathon. 4th Marathon.
2010 time 04:55:27
2011 time 04:32:32
2012 time 04:00:10

I'll be happy with anything under 4 hours.

Good luck everyone!

It only needs a GCSE in maths to spot the progression. You will do 3:29:59 this year and next year actually break 3 hours. Olympic Gold in 3 years. Joking aside that is impressive year on year improvement and I bet you have relived, countless times, where you may have wasted that 11 seconds last year.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I'm doing the London one as well (http://www.justgiving.com/Sturtridge-London-Marathon, though I'll still be going (going to take me about 8 hours) when most of you are back home again so spare a thought for me then! ;)

Good luck to everyone doing the Brighton Marathon this Sunday - hope the weather is fine, and you do the time that you want and raise tons of money!!

Z

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Off to the Expo to get my race pack later. Oddly quite excited.

Also need to get my vest printed with my name. Hoping the Albion shop will do it. No idea if they will or if they can only do football shirts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here