Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The official Brighton Marathon 2013 thread

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What time are you hoping to finish in?

I'm more of a "Just get round" runner :)

Last time I did it in 5'12, so I guess it'll be around there somewhere. I'd love it to start with a 4, but really, I have no idea how likely that is :)

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Did it two years ago when after all that training in the freezing cold, it was bloody boiling on the day. You don't notice it at the start but any heat at all takes its toll if you're not used to it - especially for me. Luckily I grabbed a bandana before I left home and that protected my baldy head. My water stop strategy went right out the window too.

Just something to keep in mind for all you running it this year as it looks to be fairly warm on Sunday. The very best of luck to all of you. Stay safe and enjoy it.

Same here, but I collapsed unconscious with heat stroke at 24 miles and got carted off in an ambulance. I was lucky and suffered no long term effects, but to those of you running make sure you stay cool. Lots of water over the head and don't make my mistake of wearing double layers (to accommodate an Albion shirt)! Most of all, enjoy it!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Same here, but I collapsed unconscious with heat stroke at 24 miles and got carted off in an ambulance. I was lucky and suffered no long term effects, but to those of you running make sure you stay cool. Lots of water over the head and don't make my mistake of wearing double layers (to accommodate an Albion shirt)! Most of all, enjoy it!

Gosh.

I didn't envy you lot one little bit. I walked about 15 miles following the race and was badly sunburned and shattered by the end of it!

Glad to hear there were no lasting effects.

The friend I was following finished in 3.15 and kept on running after the finish line to hit the sea!

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Gosh.

I didn't envy you lot one little bit. I walked about 15 miles following the race and was badly sunburned and shattered by the end of it!

Glad to hear there were no lasting effects.

The friend I was following finished in 3.15 and kept on running after the finish line to hit the sea!

Maybe that was my problem, I stayed out in the sun too long. I was still fine after 3 hours 15 mins! Cracking time by your friend by the way.

I made amends by running the Berlin marathon last October (and broke 4 hours by a massive 15 seconds)

Hansisevil

Jan 18, 2012
Running my first Brighton marathon, 2nd overall. Hoping for under 4 hrs, we'll see what my knees think of that.
Hope the weekend gets off to a flyer with a win over Boro!

My running no is 12139.

Good luck to all runners.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I am running my last (13th) marathon on Sunday for Scope. I have been saying that the last few will be the "last" one but this one really will. Have found the training his year particularly bad with the weather but am looking forward to the day. Not sure how the day will go but should be around the 4.15 mark if the training is anything to go by. Have done no running whatsoever in the last two weeks and have just got back this evening from 5 days celebrating my Mum's 80th birthday in Tuscany. No Italian connections other than the wine and pasta is very good in Chianti. Has anyone got one of the Mini Mile goody bags yet? I am going down to the Centre tomorrow with my daughter who is running the mile and am intrigued as to what she can expect in it.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Maybe that was my problem, I stayed out in the sun too long. I was still fine after 3 hours 15 mins! Cracking time by your friend by the way.

I made amends by running the Berlin marathon last October (and broke 4 hours by a massive 15 seconds)

My official time for the Brighton marathon two years ago when it was really warm was 3.59.59. Wanted to get under 4 hours but there was no point overdoing it in that heat! Think the weather this year should be perfect.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
If anyone does want to shout some encouragement then you can't miss me - my shins and calves are covered in bright blue rock tape! Keeping the Albion theme alive.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My cunning plan is to go and stand in the sea once I'm across the finish line.

I figure the salt water will be good for blisters & the sea will be so cold it'll be like a free ice bath :thumbsup:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Good luck to all, especially you Edna, your bravery (insanity?) knows no bounds!!

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I'm doing it for breast cancer care. Got a lovely pink vest with JP on the front. Shitting a brick right now if I'm honest!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good luck to all, especially you Edna, your bravery (insanity?) knows no bounds!!

Nah, not brave! I don't even like running. It's all a bit mind over matter, I think. I just keep telling myself there's only another 15 miles left, only another two hours, only another five miles or whatever. And think of the pint of chilled cider waiting at the finish.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm more of a "Just get round" runner :)

Last time I did it in 5'12, so I guess it'll be around there somewhere. I'd love it to start with a 4, but really, I have no idea how likely that is :)
Yep, beating 5 hours is a nice goal. Better than I could do right now.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can you track the runners on a website?!

Swear I read it on here somewhere!!

Unfortunately for the likes of me, yes you can. You can either download the Brighton Marathon app for your phone and enter your mates' names/race numbers, which will tell you how they're getting on.

Or you can click on this link http://www.flashupdates.co.uk/Brighton2013 and have updates for your chosen runners sent to you via Twitter or Facebook.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
My 3rd Brighton, missed last year. Completely relate to the comments about the heat in 2011, like to think I'm normally okay when hot but not sure how far short of an 'ambulance finish' I was in the last 6 miles!!
Junior Anchorman 2 representing the Anchormen at Boro today from the ease of his base at Teeside Uni.
Good Luck all!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here