Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Historical Sex Allegations Thread

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brand is an odious individual and the last bloke I'd want to go for a pint with. As others have pointed out, he displays classic narcissistic behaviours. Always came across as a total tosser particularly during Sachsgate.

Where I have a limited amount of sympathy though is some of the ladies in question were in a relationship with him. Given he "won" shagger of the year, bragged about sleeping with 80 women a month and had a self confessed sex addiction would suggest he isn't a carvery and a pint down the Stonehouse before catching some telly kind of bloke. Why would you go near him in the 1st place? This isn't excusing his behaviour of course - if it is true he hopefully gets his comeuppance which is overdue - merely that it has parallels to the dangerous dog debate. If you own a dog called savage from a dangerous breed, are you surprised when it bites you?
While I agree to a point, the type of women / girls that fall for this type of male are usually vulnerable in some way. And that is why predators target them.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
One of the Guardian's , Hero's of the year " , 2014 no less .

" The volatile comedian-turned-activist’s ability to be openly and honestly flawed sets him apart from the grand old men of the left
No one is better at attacking Russell Brand than Russell Brand. He takes the lavish criticisms aimed at him and, like Cyrano de Bergerac, shows his opponents how to do it properly.
He is volatile, vulnerable, troubled, mercurial, but unlike most people in public life, he makes no attempt to hide it. His emotional honesty helps to explain his appeal, and his ability to inspire people who had switched off from politics.

Yes, his politics are rough and inchoate, but he doesn’t claim to have all the answers. Sometimes he can be incoherent. But even that is a refreshing change from the stifling coherence of some of the grand old men of the left, for whom everything must conform to a rigid scheme of loyalties and enmities, and who appear unable to admit mistakes. This obnoxious and dishonest rigidity, often enforced by a cult-like following, is, I believe, one of the reasons why the left often struggles to build support.
Brand’s openness about his flaws makes him a good leader, and allows those who admire him to be good followers. He’s the best thing that has happened to the left in years. "

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Brand is an odious individual and the last bloke I'd want to go for a pint with. As others have pointed out, he displays classic narcissistic behaviours. Always came across as a total tosser particularly during Sachsgate.

Where I have a limited amount of sympathy though is some of the ladies in question were in a relationship with him. Given he "won" shagger of the year, bragged about sleeping with 80 women a month and had a self confessed sex addiction would suggest he isn't a carvery and a pint down the Stonehouse before catching some telly kind of bloke. Why would you go near him in the 1st place? This isn't excusing his behaviour of course - if it is true he hopefully gets his comeuppance which is overdue - merely that it has parallels to the dangerous dog debate. If you own a dog called savage from a dangerous breed, are you surprised when it bites you?
It really has to be the least surprising news to emerge. His reputation was certainly celebrated by him, it is really strange that women would be attracted to the man unless that was exactly what they were looking for. That in no way excuses what Brand is and what he has allegedly done but you cannot ignore the sheer stupidity of some women. How could it be even a remote surprise for Brand to be someone who doe not understand the concept of no' when it comes to sex. It has always been clear and obvious. Are they really as stupid as men?

I read today that there was a sell out 20000 audience for his show even after the allegations came out - now that lot most definately need to be under some sort of surveillance to worry their little tinfoil hats over.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
One of the Guardian's , Hero's of the year " , 2014 no less .

" The volatile comedian-turned-activist’s ability to be openly and honestly flawed sets him apart from the grand old men of the left
No one is better at attacking Russell Brand than Russell Brand. He takes the lavish criticisms aimed at him and, like Cyrano de Bergerac, shows his opponents how to do it properly.
He is volatile, vulnerable, troubled, mercurial, but unlike most people in public life, he makes no attempt to hide it. His emotional honesty helps to explain his appeal, and his ability to inspire people who had switched off from politics.

Yes, his politics are rough and inchoate, but he doesn’t claim to have all the answers. Sometimes he can be incoherent. But even that is a refreshing change from the stifling coherence of some of the grand old men of the left, for whom everything must conform to a rigid scheme of loyalties and enmities, and who appear unable to admit mistakes. This obnoxious and dishonest rigidity, often enforced by a cult-like following, is, I believe, one of the reasons why the left often struggles to build support.
Brand’s openness about his flaws makes him a good leader, and allows those who admire him to be good followers. He’s the best thing that has happened to the left in years. "
And the Times wrote a glowing obituary for Jimmy Savile.

People and news outlets shouldn't be judged on opinions formed before the full facts are known.

I'm uneasy about judging someone before they've been through any legal process, but I do totally take the point that the legal system has failed to do it's job with these crimes and I do hope that a high profile case like this can shine a light on it's failings.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
While I agree to a point, the type of women / girls that fall for this type of male are usually vulnerable in some way. And that is why predators target them.
Whilst that's certainly true, I don't get the impression that Brand taregtted anyone. Rather took advantage on a regular basis of what was reailly available to him. I'm sure that included some vulnerable self hating women that have suffered to the extent that it is normal to them, but not all surely.

Men such as Brand behave like they do because it becomes normal to them, it feels normal to them because it has become the norm and that can't all be due to vulnerable and damaged women. Not all men are bastards and not all women are saints.

I've never had women throwing themselves at me but I'd imagine it would change perceptions somewhat if it was the case. Sounds like I'm finding excuses for him but that's not what I feel or mean - it just amazes me that any woman attracted to him would not know exactly what they were risking.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And the Times wrote a glowing obituary for Jimmy Savile.

People and news outlets shouldn't be judged on opinions formed before the full facts are known.

I'm uneasy about judging someone before they've been through any legal process, but I do totally take the point that the legal system has failed to do it's job with these crimes and I do hope that a high profile case like this can shine a light on it's failings.

I think the problem is that people do form opinions before the full facts are known, just look at the posts on here that have him guilty as charged based on his persona, stage show and other various rumours.

As you say the legal system is highly flawed and I fully agree with your hope this case shines a light on its failings.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I wouldn't dismiss that the women / girls were vulnerable - as you rightly say that is classic predatory behaviour - but the cynic in me suggests that some may have known what they were getting themselves into. They surely weren't expecting to be holding hands down by the river and Candle lit dinners. Brand was always a Pound Land Johnny Depp with a reputation to match.

Whatever the truth, I suspect this will do him no harm in the short term. He already has a nut job fan base and all this will do is solidify it. All publicity is good publicity in the world of conspiracy and mis-truth.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He has a huge platform now and people in high places don't like that.

It will back fire, like it did when they went after Rogan.

I hold no real opinion on Brand, his short message on youtube regarding the accusations seemed very sincere.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He has a huge platform now and people in high places don't like that.

It will back fire, like it did when they went after Rogan.

I hold no real opinion on Brand, his short message on youtube regarding the accusations seemed very sincere.
I quite liked him for about a year. Even subscribed to his YouTube channel for a while.

I found him quite engaging. But he has drifted into the realms of nuttery and I no longer have any interest in his output.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

A lot of them were quite young. One was 16 years old and he sent a BBC car to collect her from school and take her to his house. For all of them regardless of age consent is consent and context is irrelevant,

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
A lot of them were quite young. One was 16 years old and he sent a BBC car to collect her from school and take her to his house. For all of them regardless of age consent is consent and context is irrelevant,

As mentioned to @The Clamp I wouldn't rule out vulnerability but I find it a stretch that this was the case for all given his reputation. I certainly wouldn't let my - albeit fictional - 16 year daughter within a country mile of Brand.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
As mentioned to @The Clamp I wouldn't rule out vulnerability but I find it a stretch that this was the case for all given his reputation. I certainly wouldn't let my - albeit fictional - 16 year daughter within a country mile of Brand.
Agreed on that ! Re the rest, remember that all of them haven’t made complaints. No-one is saying that every encounter was non consensual. The ones we are talking about are the ones reporting non consensual behaviour.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My one real-life experience of Russell Brand was getting in a lift with him after the British Comedy Awards in 2006. I was with a mate and he was with about seven females (it was a BIG lift) who seemed to hang off his every word and he probably thought he was going to shag all of them that night (maybe he did!). He didn't say too much, but what he did say was quite self-indugent (substances may well have been taken). He also had quite a condescending tone/aura – a sort of 'what are YOU doing daring to get in the same lift as ME?' to us.

Contrast that with prior to the show, when we ended up taking a wrong turn following Jonathon Ross and ended up at his dressing room! Lovely fella (I have the right to change that opinion when/if any allegations come out against him).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Humans in making questionable relationship decision shocker.

When it comes to sex, lust and love, logic often goes out the window. I'm sure everyone on here has made some bad choices over the years.

This is not relevant to the allegations though. Even if you're up for a one-night stand or relationship with a serial-shagger, you haven't consented to rape, sexual assault or emotional abuse. It just isn't necessary to bring up the motives, common sense or virtue of the women involved.

Last edited:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Humans in making questionable relationship decision shocker.

When it comes to sex, lust and love, logic often goes out the window. I'm sure everyone on here has made some bad choices over the years.

This is not relevant to the allegations to though. Even if you're up for a one-night stand or relationship with a serial-shagger, you haven't consented to rape, sexual assault or emotional abuse. It just isn't necessary to bring up the motives, common sense or virtue of the women involved.

I've never made any questionable decisions regarding my love life.

My wife told me to write that.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
No old boy, and I don't agree with majority of what Brand says, but I still think he should enjoy the freedom to say it, providing it’s not offensive or inflammatory.

If this is basically an Orwellian plot to silence him, then who will be next?

That said if he is guilty, then the legal process will hopefully take its course.
who would be behind such a plot? why bother gagging someone such as brand?

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
The #metoo movement has hyper-sped society to an environment where men have to be so extremely cautious when it comes to sexual encounters with women. There's little doubt it is for the best in regards to protecting women - but at the same time it has created a complicated legal problem where it's one persons word against another, most of the time.

It wouldn't take a lot for a woman to say after the event "actually, the sex we had wasn't consensual for these reasons" and for a man to end up in serious trouble.

Not saying Russell Brand is in any way innocent, if the allegations are true and not exaggerated then he certainly isn't - but since the 2000s, or even 2010s, there are undoubtedly there are new boundaries defining what is considered consensual sex.

It's so complicated, and I have no idea what the solution is. If I were in my early 20s again and looking to shag lots of women, I'd think it would be sensible to have them record a voice message confirming they are happy to proceed, just in case one decided to claim that they weren't after the event.

Either way, whether Brand is guilty or not - or whether his actions are deemed unacceptable now, but were tolerated at the time - or even if the allegations are untrue - suffice to say, his career and reputation are completely ruined and he will not come back from this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here