Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Historical Sex Allegations Thread

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In their defence, the Police are so undermanned and underfunded, there’s far more chance of them initially being heard in the media and then ‘hey presto’ the Police are now inviting alleged/potential victims to get in touch with them.

At the back of all this I do wonder if his anti establishment stance and his reported 28 million on line followers are also a factor, it does seem the ultimate way to shut down his emerging movement and silence his controversial views.

That said if he is found guilty in a court of law, fair enough, but it this all dies down yet he is eternally discredited as an individual, is it ‘job done’ by the establishment?
Have you been hanging out with Matt Le Tissier and Right Said Fred Harty?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Have you been hanging out with Matt Le Tissier and Right Said Fred Harty?
No old boy, and I don't agree with majority of what Brand says, but I still think he should enjoy the freedom to say it, providing it’s not offensive or inflammatory.

If this is basically an Orwellian plot to silence him, then who will be next?

That said if he is guilty, then the legal process will hopefully take its course.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In their defence, the Police are so undermanned and underfunded, there’s far more chance of them initially being heard in the media and then ‘hey presto’ the Police are now inviting alleged/potential victims to get in touch with them.

At the back of all this I do wonder if his anti establishment stance and his reported 28 million on line followers are also a factor, it does seem the ultimate way to shut down his emerging movement and silence his controversial views.

That said if he is found guilty in a court of law, fair enough, but it this all dies down yet he is eternally discredited as an individual, is it ‘job done’ by the establishment?
I noticed that one of the victims had been in touch with Brand to confront him about his behaviour around 2020. Probably before his mad YouTube rants got the sort of views they get now.

It ended with an aggressive letter from his lawyers accusing her of wanting his money.

Why didn’t she go to the Police? Look at the conviction rates for the type of abuse she is alleged to have received. Very low indeed.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I agree with most of this, the main issue for me is that the demand for proof has turned 180 degrees. An allegation or a series of allegations is now all it takes for a persons career to be cancelled. There is an attitude that unless you accept the allegations at face value you are somehow part of the problem. Innocent until proven guilty is such a necessary foundation, without it the numbers of incarcerated innocent people will skyrocket. Unfortunately this has been reversed when it comes to employment, and has led and will continue to lead to innocent people having their lives wrecked.

And for those who think I "am part of the problem" please note I have in no way given support for, or judgment against Brand. It's not about the people involved, rather the continued existence of a very necessary principle.
You seem to be arguing that innocent until proven guilty overrides everything and you mention the number of incarcerated innocent people. The thing is the victims of sexual exploitation are also incarcerated innocent people. They are incarcerated by their trauma. Innocent until proven guilty doesn’t mean the guilty are actually innocent until proven otherwise. It means they are legally innocent. Inappropriate and non consensual behaviour is enabled by power imbalance and disbelief of accusers until they have been put through hell in a court case.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No old boy, and I don't agree with majority of what Brand says, but I still think he should enjoy the freedom to say it, providing it’s not offensive or inflammatory.

That said if he is guilty, then the legal process will hopefully take its course.

Alex Jones, of Sandy Hook denial fame, also thinks it's a plot to take down Brand as he spoke out against "the globalists".

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Does this mean we are not allowed to enjoy anything for fear that someone involved is behaving badly behind the scenes.

Well all be stuck listening to Cliff Richard and reading Agatha Christie.
Except it wasn’t behind the scenes. Anybody who couldn’t see from his behaviour that Russell Brand is a sleazy sex pest needs to take a long hard look at themselves. That’s why the documentary is called ‘In Plain Sight.’ Sleazy sex pestery wasn’t funny when done by Bernard Manning and it certainly wasn’t funny when taken to new lows by Brand.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
Then you haven’t really followed the story or listened to explanations of power imbalance, trauma and a legal system that takes victims apart. You have also very likely never spoken to someone in this position.
I just find it strange that people choose to speak to the media over the law. How do you convict without a legal investigation ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
R5 Nicky Campbell prog devoted to this just now.

Quoted Owen Jones who once said “Russell Brand is the George Orwell of our times”. :facepalm:

Brand had millions of online followers, lapping up his conspiracy theories about evil Zelensky etc. It’s another cult of wnkrs. Any female speaking out online is immediately attacked by the mob.

Reactions: cjd

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I just find it strange that people choose to speak to the media over the law. How do you convict without a legal investigation ?

1. Scared of Brand’s lawyers, they had ‘threats’.
2. The vast majority of females don’t report serious sexual assault or rape. Knowing there’s a minute chance of conviction and the defence team in court destroying their reputation/self.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What are the allegations?
I was asleep at 9 on Saturday.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Brand is an odious individual and the last bloke I'd want to go for a pint with. As others have pointed out, he displays classic narcissistic behaviours. Always came across as a total tosser particularly during Sachsgate.

Where I have a limited amount of sympathy though is some of the ladies in question were in a relationship with him. Given he "won" shagger of the year, bragged about sleeping with 80 women a month and had a self confessed sex addiction would suggest he isn't a carvery and a pint down the Stonehouse before catching some telly kind of bloke. Why would you go near him in the 1st place? This isn't excusing his behaviour of course - if it is true he hopefully gets his comeuppance which is overdue - merely that it has parallels to the dangerous dog debate. If you own a dog called savage from a dangerous breed, are you surprised when it bites you?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Isn't this about what he is alleged to have DONE, not anything to do with what he says?

I couldn't really give a stuff about the guff (IMO) that the thesaurus-botherer spouts, but if women are coming forward accusing him of assault and rape, it's probably a good idea to give them a fair hearing.

As for going to the police/not going to the police – how does anyone know that the victims (alleged) haven't either a) gone to the police or b) sought legal advice?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
You seem to be arguing that innocent until proven guilty overrides everything and you mention the number of incarcerated innocent people. The thing is the victims of sexual exploitation are also incarcerated innocent people. They are incarcerated by their trauma. Innocent until proven guilty doesn’t mean the guilty are actually innocent until proven otherwise. It means they are legally innocent. Inappropriate and non consensual behaviour is enabled by power imbalance and disbelief of accusers until they have been put through hell in a court case.
Yes you are correct I hold innocent until proven guilty as fundamentally important. I feel that it is far better that some people "get away with it" than anyone gets locked up for something they did not do. I understand the victim has had their life screwed, however the answer to a bad system is not to implement an equally bad replacement. I utterly refute the idea that someone should be believed simply based upon their claim. Can you not see where that would lead. I make a claim, I have to substantiate that claim is the correct way around. I make a claim and someone else has the burden of proof is fundamentally wrong.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

He’s certainly not silenced. He has millions of followers. Spouting his bullshit against Ukraine. Think about that for a minute. A bloke condoning Putin’s genocide and rape.

The Orwellian plot is from idiots seeing this as a conspiracy to shut down his far right bullshit.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Where I have a limited amount of sympathy though is some of the ladies in question were in a relationship with him. Given he "won" shagger of the year, bragged about sleeping with 80 women a month and had a self confessed sex addiction would suggest he isn't a carvery and a pint down the Stonehouse before catching some telly kind of bloke. Why would you go near him in the 1st place? This isn't excusing his behaviour of course - if it is true he hopefully gets his comeuppance which is overdue - merely that it has parallels to the dangerous dog debate. If you own a dog called savage from a dangerous breed, are you surprised when it bites you?
He's allegedly coercive and narcissistic. These people tend to be skilled at deception. It's no surprise that others are conned by them emotionally, physically, and financially.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Except it wasn’t behind the scenes. Anybody who couldn’t see from his behaviour that Russell Brand is a sleazy sex pest needs to take a long hard look at themselves. That’s why the documentary is called ‘In Plain Sight.’ Sleazy sex pestery wasn’t funny when done by Bernard Manning and it certainly wasn’t funny when taken to new lows by Brand.
I guess that Jimmy Carr is going to be the next one up before the social media courts then.

The stuff her has done to people's mum's is disgusting.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Alex Jones, of Sandy Hook denial fame, also thinks it's a plot to take down Brand as he spoke out against "the globalists".
This is now the predictably lame go to response of these types..get found out/accused or proven guilty of something and they’ll immediately go crying to all and sundry (ironically enough via really niche and in no way mainstream outlets such as YouTube 🥱) about how they’ve never ever done anything wrong, it’s all everyone else’s fault and is a massive conspiracy, as they are truth telling threats to the ‘establishment’ 🤡😆 see also Trump, Truss, Farage, Braverman etc.
To even consider that Rat Boy here and his sexy Victorian street urchin vibe as someone so powerful and influential that he needs to be taken down via a supposedly manufactured campaign against him is as laughable as Chelsea’s transfer policy.
If offences have been committed I hope his victims get justice and he is suitably punished..as someone else has mentioned, a lot of the flannel he has recently posted is more likely to be aimed at mobilising his fan base and ensure coin keeps rolling in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here