Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
And this looks pretty bleak too:

While strengthening the bands, Fran Escribá want to gain the services of Vincent Rodriguez. That was exinternacional and Valencia player would be willing to accept the proposal of Elche, if he can terminate the contract year which diminishes with the Brighton & Hove Albion in the Football League Championship coached by Gustavo Poyet.
The player should be incorporated this week his team, but for now still in Valencian. And will try to force to accept the option of Elche.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its these sort of times you want your local newspaper to be digging about to see whats going on. I think he will stay anyway, and Boris looks well decent, along with a decent keeper. Dont worry. Be happy.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
The club won't let him leave for free, he can't terminate his contract as they put it.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
At least its a Spanish club not Reading or Saints. Makes sense for him and his family. Still have small hope he could return, particuarly after i was told a couple of weeks ago it was a done deal. Its never over till the ink is on the contract/

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Sounds like he could well be going to Elche, one article says they are trying to finalize a contract with him by the end of this week/beginning of the next and the other says he wants to break our contract due to the birth of his second child and be near his family. So all in all pretty depressing but understandable

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The club won't let him leave for free, he can't terminate his contract as they put it.

What would be the point of forcing him to stay if he's unhappy? If it's a Spanish club just round the corner then, with a new baby, it's understandable but a real shame. Still, if it doesn't happen I'll console myself with the thought that he might have spent half the season injured anyway.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
What would be the point of forcing him to stay if he's unhappy? If it's a Spanish club just round the corner then, with a new baby, it's understandable but a real shame. Still, if it doesn't happen I'll console myself with the thought that he might have spent half the season injured anyway.

If they were willing to let him leave for free they wouldn't have extended his contract

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If they were willing to let him leave for free they wouldn't have extended his contract

If they hadn't extended his contract, they'd have no say at all in the negotiations beyond the 30th. IMHO it's a holding position. If he really wants to stay at home, they could still just agree some form of mutual termination. Obviously they'll try for compensation first but it's impossible to imagine a half-hearted Vicente just rotting in the reserves... a different situation to most players. Of course, if he's the utmost professional he might fulfil his contract and play out of his skin but that's just hard to imagine at his age and with so many achievements behind him. He doesn't have anything to prove.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Googling Elche, big stadium with capacity of 38,000 but avg attendance c 10,000, top attendance 13,265 for their derby. Mid table side, out of the top flight for 25 years. Neighbours Hercules are no better. He goes back there he's basically semi-retired. Seems like a move you'd make in 2 yrs time, not now.

He stays with us he's playing in front of 25,000 every week with a sniff of the Premiership.

If it was a purely football decision it's a no-brainer to stay.

Last edited:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I think that will be that now, if it is we can all console ourselves in years to come by saying "we was there".

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Vicente will be back and playing in the blue and White stripes next season. This Elche nonsense is just a smokescreen. Bruno is his mate and signed with us to play with him. Vicente will be back for training next week and sign up then.
Have faith people

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Vicente will be back and playing in the blue and White stripes next season. This Elche nonsense is just a smokescreen. Bruno is his mate and signed with us to play with him. Vicente will be back for training next week and sign up then.
Have faith people

Thats how i feel, but if he stays in spain for family reasons then fair play to him.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Its these sort of times you want your local newspaper to be digging about to see whats going on.

Small chance of that

I agree with you though in thinking he will elect to stay but that is only because I like my glass half full

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I am beginning to get a bit fed up with these highly paid football players, who for some reason appear to treat a contract as something different to the rest of us.
For instance Vicente, who appeared quite happy to take the Clubs money and better than first class medical attention, for whatever reason seems not to be able to realise that being employed by a Club brings with it certain moral expectations on behalf of the person who signed the contract.
Is it that the grass is always greener or are they of an age where they play in shorts but their women wear the trousers. There have been others afflicted by this woman problem.
We have no idea what's going on here, but something obviously is. Watching Vicente is a delight and something I have never seen in 58 years of watching my Club, and Country play football.
It's only another year of which I would think as long as he can stand up, he will play. Probably about 5% of his entire career. It's not that long!
My ex wife got a Contract which at first took her to Germany for 6 months when she was pregnant and then to Southampton where I remain 17 years later. I never expected to leave my home town, but whatever employment I have had since, I got my head down and did it to the best of my ability. Are Professional Footballers different from the rest of us?

Rant Over.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Googling Elche, big stadium with capacity of 38,000 but avg attendance c 10,000, top attendance 13,265 for their derby. Mid table side, out of the top flight for 25 years. Neighbours Hercules are no better. He goes back there he's basically semi-retired. Seems like a move you'd make in 2 yrs time, not now.

He stays with us he's playing in front of 25,000 every week with a sniff of the Premiership.

If it was a purely football decision it's a no-brainer to stay.

Neighbour Hercules are the Alicante team and they only got relegated from La liga at the end of 10/11, when they did they had french international David Trezeguet playing for them

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I am beginning to get a bit fed up with these highly paid football players, who for some reason appear to treat a contract as something different to the rest of us.
For instance Vicente, who appeared quite happy to take the Clubs money and better than first class medical attention, for whatever reason seems not to be able to realise that being employed by a Club brings with it certain moral expectations on behalf of the person who signed the contract.
Is it that the grass is always greener or are they of an age where they play in shorts but their women wear the trousers. There have been others afflicted by this woman problem.
We have no idea what's going on here, but something obviously is. Watching Vicente is a delight and something I have never seen in 58 years of watching my Club, and Country play football.
It's only another year of which I would think as long as he can stand up, he will play. Probably about 5% of his entire career. It's not that long!
My ex wife got a Contract which at first took her to Germany for 6 months when she was pregnant and then to Southampton where I remain 17 years later. I never expected to leave my home town, but whatever employment I have had since, I got my head down and did it to the best of my ability. Are Professional Footballers different from the rest of us?

Rant Over.

If Vicentes Mrs had their new kid on June 18th that means it would have been conceived in September, after he had signed for us....... was sit even planned? who knows?, but its life mate, his Mrs got pregant, they have a new born baby, his family is in Valencia............... things change.

Does your family come before your job?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Neighbour Hercules are the Alicante team and they only got relegated from La liga at the end of 10/11, when they did they had french international David Trezeguet playing for them

Yeah but they were second tier last season with shit crowds. You can go off quickly - just ask Hull.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
As much as i would love him to stay, if the bloke wants to go home to be with the wife and kids then i think we should grant him his wish. His time with the Albion may have been brief but it will live the memory forever. For me the best player to ever play for the club. I wish him well in whatever he chooses

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here