Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be honest, he should be here for pre-season training. New baby or not. Everyone else is. What makes him so special? (OK don't answer that).

Why spend half last season getting him fit, for him not to show for pre-season?

This week is pre-season lite, next week is pre-season proper, which is why he's been told to be back in Brighton on Monday morning.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Certainly he scored a cracking goal but that game to my mind, showed his greatest weakness. We were completely over-run in midfield. Vicente is quite brilliant with the ball at his feet......but winning it from opposing players just doesn't exist in his game.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Does anyone know our win percentage with him and without him in the team?

EDIT: I would work it out myself but am busy sanding a table.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
As long as we can get a large sell on percentage, and a clause to stop a further move to England within a year , we should let him go back to Spain on free, if Gus can't get him to sign a new contract.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Certainly he scored a cracking goal but that game to my mind, showed his greatest weakness. We were completely over-run in midfield. Vicente is quite brilliant with the ball at his feet......but winning it from opposing players just doesn't exist in his game.

If we are going to go for a team of ten tough tackling ball winning outfield players it's going to be a dull old time home or away surely? Someone has to do something with the ball and every team is entitled to the odd luxury player if the fans are going to be entertained and want to come back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Here we go .... "he wasn't that good actually"
The fickle world of football fans.

Whatever else I may think he is the best player I've ever seen in a Albion shirt but he's had an age to sort something out so this heal dragging needs to have a cut off point. I really hope it's in the next week, one way or the other.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If we are going to go for a team of ten tough tackling ball winning outfield players it's going to be a dull old time home or away surely? Someone has to do something with the ball and every team is entitled to the odd luxury player if the fans are going to be entertained and want to come back.

Having been brought up on the 'W' formation, I couldn't agree more with your philosphy. But such is the nature of the UK leagues football, it demands at least 4 midfield players will 'track-back' when danger threatens. I don't often see Vicente doing this........and that's when we get over-run in away games when he plays.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Club have been top here I think, we got him back in the world frame again he was a dead player before gus got him, we sorted his physical and mental issues and turned him into a sort after player, we probs spent a decent amount of money on doing that also, I think his kind of back stabbed us and the club rightly want to get some money for him, I personally don't think he will play again, not sure I want him to also, you either wanna play for us or don't if ya don't well then see ya, but expect club to get money back after they saved your ass

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Having been brought up on the 'W' formation, I couldn't agree more with your philosphy. But such is the nature of the UK leagues football, it demands at least 4 midfield players will 'track-back' when danger threatens. I don't often see Vicente doing this........and that's when we get over-run in away games when he plays.

Fair point - sad isn't it. There was a passage of play last night - deep into extra time - where the Spanish lost the ball coming forward and were over-run defensively by Portugal. One good tackle and a series of absolutely outrageous one touch passes in and around their own box to keep possession and then start another move forward had me on my feet applauding. Oh to have a team with defenders all of whom can tackle AND pass. Would we ever be brave enough to try? Would it ever succeed?:thumbs up:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Given that Vicente seems to be less than keen on playing for us again, I would be inclined to let him go for a decent fee. If he doesn't want to re-join the Gus bus, arguably, he's no longer worth bothering with. Our time would be better spent looking elsewhere.

Jeez is everyone still moaning. Vicente and the club are negotiating. Just to ensure we cover our backs we have taken out the extra year.

Why is everyone making Vicente out to be a nob? If he failed to show for pre-season we have some grounds to moan, but at the moment he is negotiating with the club and there is still a chance of a longer term deal.

No wonder they normally don't play these things out in the public domain or all our players would be villains in the fans eyes.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
Given that Vicente seems to be less than keen on playing for us again, I would be inclined to let him go for a decent fee. If he doesn't want to re-join the Gus bus, arguably, he's no longer worth bothering with. Our time would be better spent looking elsewhere.

How on earth do you know that Vicente isn't keen? They were discussing a new contract before he went to Spain and these talks will probably continue when he gets back. Simple as.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
To be honest I'm losing patience with Vicente. If he would rather return to Spain for family reasons then I quite understand that and he should be allowed to go. However we have a new season to prepare for, and if he doesn't want to see out his contract we need to know now, not be left hanging on. Does he want to play football for us or not, how difficult a decision could it be? It's not like he hasn't had sufficient time to form an opinion.

I think the club were perfectly entitled to exercise the one-year extension whilst the contract negotiations were unresolved as we can ill afford to lose an asset for nothing should these negotiations not pan out. We have done a lot for Vicente over the past year and I do not think it unreasonable for us to look after our interests.

I sincerely hope we are making a mountain out of molehill here, as I would love Vicente to stay. That said Gus needs to know where he stands so he can plan for the coming season. Let's nip this in the bud now!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
How on earth do you know that Vicente isn't keen? They were discussing a new contract before he went to Spain and these talks will probably continue when he gets back. Simple as.

Have a look at today's Argus and you'll see why I am so pessimistic.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Getting a bit sick of all his now.. I firmly believe he will be palying in the blue and white stripes again. If not then fair play and i thank him wholeheartedly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here