Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** The Great Escape Festival **

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
What fun, Friday was all about sheer tops and black bras:

Dillon (young Berliner knocking out Fever Ray/PlanningtoRock-esque sparse electronica in a sheer top and black bra)
Saw at the Hope on Thursday , really enjoyed.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Today I've kind've got a plan , just need to fill in the gaps:

Tiawa @ Coalition
Passenger @ Queens Hotel
French Films @ Komedia
Amica Del Bosc @ The Hub
Regal Safari @ Above Audio
Drop Out Venus @ Horatios / Fanzine @ Audio
Porcelain Raft @ The Haunt / When Saints Go Machine @ Digital / Theme Park @ Coalition
Micachu & The Shapes @ The Haunt / Foy Vance @ Unitarian Church
Madeon @ Corn Exchange.

got some gaps over the day mind

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Just got back from a secret gig at The Marwood Cafe with Slow Club, Abi Wade, We were Evergreen, Big Kids and the magnificent King Charles!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
'one kooky hot chick'- well I trust your wife is not reading this thread?

She isn't, but she felt the same. Boy was she nice. :thumbsup:

I'm to tired to write anything meaningful at the moment but I hope you all had a great time.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Feel at a bit of a loss today but my body is thanking me. I would say it was the best Great Escape that there has been. Saw plenty of bands that I did not know until now and thanks to this thread thoroughly enjoyed Amatorski at Green Door Store yesterday and Savages at Corn Exchange Thursday- even though its a poor venue sound wise- a mini version of The Centre. I dont know of anyone who went to the 'headline' shows at The Dome but would be interested in hearing a review. I did pick up that crowds here were well under capacity which is of liitle suprise. Atmosphere around Brighton was amazing yesterday everyone seemed so relaxed and chilled out.
Only dissapointment is I did not see Django Django or King Charles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would say it was the best Great Escape that there has been.

I agree with this and I have been to all bar the first. It is growing a developing nicely and every year more venues are embracing the festival and holding their own events and hosting their own stages; there was even a launderette with a stage and a programme of artists. The buzz around the city was brilliant and it was very chilled...especially in The Warren garden.

And us the punters are understanding TGE, learning how a multi-venue festival operates, and managing our expectations a lot better as well. Not seen or heard a single moan about not getting into somewhere. I did a lot of research and planning this year and was rewarded handsomely.

Saw The Crooks, Howler, Hooded Fang, The Suicide of Western Culture, Alabama Shakes (what a voice! also saw Nick Cave and Warren Ellis outside) and Madeon yesterday. I really wish I had the energy to stay out past midnight yesterday as I know I missed some excellent stuff.

See you next year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only dissapointment is I did not see Django Django or King Charles.

I missed Pond. Double gutting as I arrived at the The Globe pub 45 mins before they were due on around the back of the pub. I decided to grab some food and a beer before heading around the tradesman's entrance with time to spare. But, they had changed their slot and were on whilst I was snacking. booooo. Saw Doldrums though, liked them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I agree with this and I have been to all bar the first. It is growing a developing nicely and every year more venues are embracing the festival and holding their own events and hosting their own stages; there was even a launderette with a stage and a programme of artists. The buzz around the city was brilliant and it was very chilled...especially in The Warren garden.

And us the punters are understanding TGE, learning how a multi-venue festival operates, and managing our expectations a lot better as well. Not seen or heard a single moan about not getting into somewhere. I did a lot of research and planning this year and was rewarded handsomely.

Saw The Crooks, Howler, Hooded Fang, The Suicide of Western Culture, Alabama Shakes (what a voice! also saw Nick Cave and Warren Ellis outside) and Madeon yesterday. I really wish I had the energy to stay out past midnight yesterday as I know I missed some excellent stuff.

See you next year.

Absolutley- no one seems to be moaning about not seeing a particular artist- I guess that is due partly to the range and number of bands playing- so always an alternative- but I too was much better prepared and in most cases had somewhere else to go if I became stuck. I hope business wise it has been a success too as not sure it had sold out? Would be a complete travesty if not. Had a discussion last night and was trying to decide if the next Great Escape is the tenth? Hope it is even bigger and better. For now the great thing about Brighton concert wise is that even out of festival season there is usually something worth seeing most nights at some venue.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Totally gutted to have missed this.

It really was a fantastic moment in a room no bigger than an average sized lounge. Had a good chat with King Charles and he turned out to be a real nice dude which helped. Sounds like Time of Eternity is going to be on his second album :)
I am so doing TGE properly next year it really is a fantastic festival!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Do it. It really is a great way to spend a few days. We are so lucky to have it on our door step.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It really was a fantastic moment in a room no bigger than an average sized lounge. Had a good chat with King Charles and he turned out to be a real nice dude which helped. Sounds like Time of Eternity is going to be on his second album :)

We saw him at The Warren on Satdi (everyone should go there before the fringe finishes, it's amazing) and he hung around for ages after. Half naked. Not massively into his music but we just got there in time to see him play a cover of We Didn't Start the Fire as his set closer and it made for a right old pissed-up party in there. Splendid.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Definitely the best Great Escape I've been to - highlights for me were Toy, Pond, The Longcut, Savages, Hatcham Social, The Suicide of Western Culture, Odonis Odonis, Agent Side Grinder, Black Belles, Porcelain Raft, A Winged Victory for the Sullen, The Naturals, 8ott, Tall Ships, The Louche and Ghost Outfit.

As Corgi's already said, a great chilled-out vibe everywhere. Ended up in the Pav Tav's Manchester-by-Sea night two nights out of three until the sun came up. I was a bit of a wreck yesterday - but slowly recuperating and detoxing! Amazing weekend.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Dillon ,Ben Salter , Husky , Oliver Tank , Step-Panther, Avalanche City , Violet, Binary, Devin , Milagres, Gaz Coombes , Martha Patan , Donavan Woods , Friska Vijor, Pikachunes , Princess Chelsea , Runners, We Were Evergreen , Mallory Knox , 22, Hawk Eyes , Citizen! , Spector , Thomas J Speight , Port Isla , Emma Gatrill , Big Success , Mammal Club , Eagulls , Passenger (twice) , Inland Sea , Hyde & Beast , Amics Del Bost , Me & The Bees , Regal Safari , Jodie Marie , Drop Out Venus , Aiden Simpson , Tiawa , Will & The Power , Lost Souls Club , Melodramas , St Spirit , October Sky , Trip to Dover + Others...

Martha Patan , Dillon , Avalanche City & Jodie Marie were blinding!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here