Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** The Great Escape Festival **

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Guten tag everyone, I know this local and excellent little festival gets a lot of support from NSCers including [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] so I thoght I'd get a thread started to share comment, observation, thoughts and tips. Last year someone gave me a nod about EMA and I saw her do a great show out of a lock-up garage round the back of The Globe. She ended up in my top 10 2011 albums as well. Cheers for that, something similar this year will be very nice.

Anyway, onto this year. The schedule has been announced GIGS The Great Escape and the Tubthumper Troupe (featuring Frau Tubthumper and The Rock) will be in attendance and in my opinion it's the best line up of new acts they have had. I hope to see Friends (I am sucker for the new big hipster thing and these guys tick all the boxes-wasnt Brooklyn 2010 though?), New Build, Forest Swords, Grimes amongst others as well as other stuff I randomly select or like the look/sound/whatever of.

And please, we did all the "it's crap as I could not get in to see blah blah" stuff last year....it's not what it's about.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Looking forward to it , enjoyed the last few years I've been and always good to hear new bands :)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Working this year :angry:

I suppose I cannot work in a venue and demand every Great Escape off, but it does not mean I have to be happy about it. Hopefully we will have a few decent things.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Looking forward to this as ever, although admit to being a bit out of touch with new music over the last year or two so drawing a blank on may of the names. However, discovering new music is half the point.

Any recommendations for somebody into messy indie rock / shoe gaze / folk / electro would be greatly appreciated.

I'm all over New Build.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Working this year :angry:

I suppose I cannot work in a venue and demand every Great Escape off, but it does not mean I have to be happy about it. Hopefully we will have a few decent things.

Which venue are you working in?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Been to every Great Escape there has been and good to see we now have this thread to post stuff on.

Bands hoping to see include Toy, Ema, Django Django, Willy Mason, Me and The Bees, Beth Jeans Houghton

Will be avoiding Micachu and the Shapes and all of the acts at the dome. Although the Africa thing could be worth a look.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been to every Great Escape there has been and good to see we now have this thread to post stuff on.

Bands hoping to see include Toy, Ema, Django Django, Willy Mason, Me and The Bees, Beth Jeans Houghton

Will be avoiding Micachu and the Shapes and all of the acts at the dome. Although the Africa thing could be worth a look.

The whole Dome element to the festival seems at odds with the rest of the gigs. And the wristbands have to be 'topped up' so even the promoters are indirectly agreeing it does not sit properly with the rest. I've never been to any of the Dome gigs although I was keen to see Tony Allen the other year.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
ive been offered an aftershow party to do with maximo park and mystery jets djing, not sure what to do, dont know if there would be a huge demand for that.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The whole Dome element to the festival seems at odds with the rest of the gigs. And the wristbands have to be 'topped up' so even the promoters are indirectly agreeing it does not sit properly with the rest. I've never been to any of the Dome gigs although I was keen to see Tony Allen the other year.

It took a while for the organisers to confirm who is playing at the Dome and guessing they themselves maybe slightly disppointed with the acts. Last year all three dome nights sold out well in advance. Agree with you though that the main body of the event is pretty impressive and lots I am tempted by. And it is after all about new and lesser known music.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If I had to pick some I think you might not know about I'd go for

Odonis Odonis - Big Black meets MBV. If they get a decent PA this could be a noisy affair

Halls - Some of his recent EP reminded me of Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Solar Bears & Vondelpark are both interesting elctronica (though I've noticed on Last fm both are far more popular than when I last looked.)

Otherwise I'm looking forward to EMA, Forest Swords, Django Django & Pond.

Seems a more eclectic lineup this year. The Erased Tapes showcase may well be worth a look as well.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The following have just been added to the line up

TRIBES, REN HARVIEU, FILTHY BOY, POND, CHRIS T-T, THE MILK, WILLIS EARL BEAL, DAN LE SAC, ZEBRA AND SNAKE, WE HAVE BAND, THOMAS J SPEIGHT, JAKE MATTISON, EUGENE MCGUINNESS, DONOVAN WOODS, DJ LEO ZERO, GORGEOUS GEORGE, THE BOTS, SAM SURE AND GIACOMO, HOLLIE COOK, RAZIKA, CLEAN BANDIT, FRENCH FILMS, THE CROOKES, CHILDHOOD, SUNLESS 97, ECHO LAKE, RED INK, NATHAN FAKE, THE DEFILED, KINNIE THE EXPLORER, LITTLE JINDER, KARIN PARK, DEAR PRUDENCE, LOVEPARK, VINYL JACKET, MAUSI, HYDE & BEAST, FRISKA VILJOR, THE ROYAL CONCEPT, BIG WAVE RIDERS, BASTILLE and AGENT SIDE GRINDER.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

I think this year the line up is one of the strongest and some of the better known bands seem to be playing during the day which is a plus. I have been listening to The Killgirls on mysapce. I know little of their stuff but hope to see them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here