[Football] The Euro's and young German girl crying.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’m not sure who these “people” are you speak of are, but I hope you’re not thinking I’m one of them.

I understand we’re not alone in having Nasty people amongst us, but the point is most of us here live in the U.K. so look inwards to our own country. If we’re not as bad as others then good, still doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem here!

I completely agree, but I was responding to a post that had the quote '"We have a vocal minority of idiots who are swamping out the good in the UK and they're ruining our perception on the world stage and they're ruining our relationship with our friends and partners in Europe."
Its the people who seem to be perpetually embarrassed about something to do with England I was talking about, without an understanding of the fact most countries have similar issues in one way or another - right wing nationalism being a far bigger problem in many countries compared to here. No country is perfect.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
But we all know it happens, not saying it’s right but no image of crying kid and no comments.
Palace fans on Twitter often post a photo of a crying Albion supporting kid, think it was from the play off match at the Amex.

Not sure that I understand your point. :shrug::shrug:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I thought this part was very telling - "We have a vocal minority of idiots who are swamping out the good in the UK and they're ruining our perception on the world stage and they're ruining our relationship with our friends and partners in Europe."

They’re called Johnson, Frost, Truss, Gove, Shapp, Patel Hancock, Sunak.............

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
My daughter cried at her first Brighton game against City in our promotion year...probably the same age as the German girl.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My daughter cried at her first Brighton game against City in our promotion year...probably the same age as the German girl.

I'm not aware of the background of the story with the girl at all, but is there anything to suggest she was crying for any reason other than her team was losing?

When we went to Middlesbrough for *that* game, I instructed my daughter that if things didn't go our way and she felt close to tears, then she should turn her back to the pitch as the cameras will be looking for an upset Brighton fan to focus on to illustrate our despair, and she didn't want to be the crying child subject to a million social media memes by Palace fans.

Imagine my horror, five minutes after the final whistle when I turned to see facing the pitch with tears rolling down her cheeks. Thankfully it didn't get picked up on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair I haven't, Twitter is an absolute cesspool that I try to avoid, I just thought the sight of a German fam crying after we beat them 2-0 was mildly amusing.

The thing with Twitter is that you only find horrible things if you go on there and look for them. I'm sure the girl's parents won't let her within a mile of twitter for at least a decade.

Anyone donating money is an absolute plank, there's children starving, homeless and drowning in the channel and they're worried about some twitter comments which they had to seek out. I feel like people are lacking perspective here :shrug:

I shall be donating.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Has anyone actually seen some of the comments? ****ing vile abuse aimed at young girl. Why are people employing all this whataboutry for?

Indeed.
This thread reminds me of when Brighton fans get homophobic abuse and post it on here. And by abuse I mean grown men screaming at adults with their children that they hope they get aids etc. Then the whatabouters, desperate not to appear soft, dismiss it as bantz.

I saw some of the comments. Some of those people need their hard drives checked.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not aware of the background of the story with the girl at all, but is there anything to suggest she was crying for any reason other than her team was losing?

When we went to Middlesbrough for *that* game, I instructed my daughter that if things didn't go our way and she felt close to tears, then she should turn her back to the pitch as the cameras will be looking for an upset Brighton fan to focus on to illustrate our despair, and she didn't want to be the crying child subject to a million social media memes by Palace fans.

Imagine my horror, five minutes after the final whistle when I turned to see facing the pitch with tears rolling down her cheeks. Thankfully it didn't get picked up on.

Says it all really. You have to tell your daughter not to cry because there are lots of ***** out there who are just waiting to humiliate her. Then when it happens you end up checking media to make sure things aren't going to get any worse.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Still, they always get their own back...

Screenshot 2021-07-03 050613.png

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
£20k for a crying German girl, lucky enough to be at a football match at £50 (minimum) a ticket

Yet we have record levels of kids in families relying on food banks.

Mad

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I haven't seen the online abuse, but I suspect she will have a lot more to smile about supporting Germany in the future than a lot of her peers from other countries. She'll be alright.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Really?

Think I have posted my point twice already on this thread, which part are you struggling with, I will see if I can explain?

Which part of the post you quoted don’t you understand?

1. But we all know it happens, not saying it’s right but no image of crying kid and no comments. (makes no sense)

2. Why do you follow Palace Fans on twitter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports