Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "enthusiastic but misguided" fans under the police box...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm really not sure it is an acoustics issue. I am just on the edge of the box and am only a few seats away and I can clearly hear the songs coming from the left (which are promptly drowned out by something else from under the police box that nobody else joins in with).

Been watching this thread and have to largely agree with the Commander. I noticed the unco-ordinated approach most just after we scored.

I think the group should be commended for trying, but when it is in opposition with their own fans, surely they should ask themselves, "what is the point?"

The suggestion of the South Stand maybe a good idea and they even generate more atmosphere.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Hugely dull and slightly spiteful thread which I wish I hadn't bothered reading and puts me off nsc. I used to stand in the North stand at the Goldstone on the east side and there were often two separate songs being sung.

The West didn't join in then either....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Hugely dull and slightly spiteful thread which I wish I hadn't bothered reading and puts me off nsc. I used to stand in the North stand at the Goldstone on the east side and there were often two separate songs being sung.

Oh for God's sake get over yourself. There is no spite in this thread whatsoever.

I always find it odd when someone comes on and reads a five page thread and then says how dull it is. Can't have been that dull eh?

And all this 'it puts me off NSC' nonsense. What are you doing here if it's so terrible?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

This is where I get lost on any sort of 'atmosphere' thread, I don't understand why it should be seen as a competition between our own fans. A stadium in full voice sounds great but if people choose not to make noise that's their perogative, not singing doesn't make someone less of a fan in any way.

More on topic, sitting in the ESL, next to the South, when I do hear the North it always seems to be singing the same thing. In no way saying there aren't different approaches being taken but clearly one group isn't as loud as it thinks it is (no idea which one).

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
It's never going to be sorted out until we get safe standing in The North with the singers all standing together. The North Stand at the Goldstone worked as at most other grounds for that very reason, we had a proper kop. A lot of the old North Standers on here can remember queuing outside The North with the North Standers inside in full voice and gagging to get in and join in. It was all part of the build up, it generated excitement before you got in there ( not all matches but a fair few ). Now a lot of fans drink until a few minutes before the match starts walk up the steps and watch the match. It makes for a sterile atmosphere from the start.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's never going to be sorted out until we get safe standing in The North with the singers all standing together. The North Stand at the Goldstone worked as at most other grounds for that very reason, we had a proper kop. A lot of the old North Standers on here can remember queuing outside The North with the North Standers inside in full voice and gagging to get in and join in. It was all part of the build up, it generated excitement before you got in there ( not all matches but a fair few ). Now a lot of fans drink until a few minutes before the match starts walk up the steps and watch the match. It makes for a sterile atmosphere from the start.

Don't think safe standing will ever happen in this country but I agree it would improve the atmosphere.

The Goldstone used to depend totally on the opposition and importance of game. I remember "that" Southampton FA Cup game in 1986 where the Stains fans were all kept out till the last minute but I got to the ground at about 1.30 to get a good spot with my mates and by 2.00 the singing had started as you say. By the time they finally let the enemy in they were greeted with a rousing chorus of 'who the ****ing hell are you?'.

On the other hand on the proverbial Wednesday night mid table game against Barnsley it was pretty much Krispies singing on his own.

We are going to have a problem with atmos this season. We are heading for mid table and there are no real big derby games. We even quite like Charlton. There's perhaps only Leeds and Bournemouth at home that will have a proper old skool atmosphere. What it needs is a home FA Cup draw to Palace or Sunderland :thumbsup:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My guess is neither can hear one another. When you're in the NW your own voice is amplified by the box, but the sound can barely be heard in the middle of the North.

Don't care who sings what but it's a shame people are arranged in a way that doesn't maximise the amount of noise generated. I think that's all Commander is trying to say. IMO it's probably because the club are selling family tickets to the gap between N and NW, so the songs never spread from one zone to the other.

Very true. Especially the bit about selling tickets to families. On Tuesday two blokes and about five kids, who could'nt have been more than 5 or 6 years old, had to move from the row in front of me because the kids couldn't see. When will the club learn to warn people about buying tickets in the back rows of the North :shrug:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Very true. Especially the bit about selling tickets to families. On Tuesday two blokes and about five kids, who could'nt have been more than 5 or 6 years old, had to move from the row in front of me because the kids couldn't see. When will the club learn to warn people about buying tickets in the back rows of the North :shrug:

The answer is to make tickets for a family the same price in the lower East as it is in the north. I have nothing against kids in the north if they are STH's as they know what to expect, as do their parents, but the day trippers won't come back if they are given NS tickets.

On a different issue I must say the stewarding in the NS is 100% better this season as well.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
police box crew lol I like it.

I am in north east corner N1H and I don't get one group not hearing the other,with refs to two songs go left go left is a song that I don't join in and those who do its not a noisy chant and just drifts off. the barmy army i couldn't quite make out the first part of the chant but now I know its blue and white barmy army will be more than happy to join in. and sure this must be the case for others around me as we join in the rest of the chants. the away supporters must have heard us with no problem as it was quite funny that would reply with the same chant but for their team.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The answer is to make tickets for a family the same price in the lower East as it is in the north. I have nothing against kids in the north if they are STH's as they know what to expect, as do their parents, but the day trippers won't come back if they are given NS tickets.

On a different issue I must say the stewarding in the NS is 100% better this season as well.

Absolutely! Not one single problem this season because the standing has been self policing and the steward haven't tried to solve a problem where there isn't one. Their reaction the other night was superb, they didn't go in all guns blazing and try and make everyone sit down, they just found a place for the family to sit and everyone was happy - just how it should be :thumbsup:

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title

my six year old loves it in the North ....agree about the stewards though

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Absolutely! Not one single problem this season because the standing has been self policing and the steward haven't tried to solve a problem where there isn't one. Their reaction the other night was superb, they didn't go in all guns blazing and try and make everyone sit down, they just found a place for the family to sit and everyone was happy - just how it should be :thumbsup:

I wonder if this has anything to do with Hebberd leaving the club?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

With safe standing you will still have an allocated spot to stand (with a fold up seat), so you will still have the same problem logistically getting all the singers together.

Is the solution here to approach the club to see how easy it would be to get those who want to sing sitting together in the North next season (not much can be done this year, I suspect)?

There is nothing you can do about the pre-match drinking and I am sure the club would not want to sort that out either!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
From the vantage point of the East, the North seemed incredibly disjointed last night. The NW corner/control box mob and the more central singers seemed to be on completely different wavelengths. Real shame because the north in unison can be really loud and this year we should have even more volume with the extra people in the corners.

Quietest atmosphere for a long time.

Odd it was one of the best this season in the wsu.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I was stood in the north west corner under the police box yesterday, rather than my normal seat in the centre of the north.
Unfortunately the argument that you can't hear the left side singing is bollocks.

On a number of occasions yesterday the majority of the north stand were singing one song and the dozen or so NSK members persevered with something else.

Very poor show, if you genuinely want to improve the atmosphere you have to go with the majority not stick to your own agenda, you are actually making it worse !

As an aside, I thought yesterday was good pretty much the whole of the stand was good and drowned out the drivel !

And before anyone starts getting clever, I know several of the police box crew personally, and they in turn know who I am !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here