Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "enthusiastic but misguided" fans under the police box...

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Do you think that might have been because it was the emptiest for a long time?

Not really. The north was more or less as full as it always is, and the north is where 95% of the songs are generated.

Plus I'd venture to suggest that, at the risk of making a sweeping generalisation, most of the people who stay away because it's rainy/the game is on TV/we aren't winning every game are less likely to be the fans making the noise when they do attend.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just before half-time with Albion pressing hard for an equaliser, the crowd trying to get behind the players, and what do we get treated to from our singing section...? Yep, a self-regarding chorus of "Go Left, Go Left". Brilliant.

Hmm, surely if the other 20 odd thousand home fans were making noise to encourage that equaliser you wouldn't hear 150 people singing go left go right

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
It is frustrating, I stand dead centre, at the back and we have the East side of the stand singing one song, then the west side goons pipe up with something completely different, when the whole stand sings together it's immense, I honestly believe if the group under the control box had got themselves more central it would have improved the atmosphere 100%.

Oh and it was "Blue and White Barmy Army" which was great when most of the stand joined in, but like most of our songs would have sounded better a bit slower.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
My guess is they'd claim they cant hear the songs coming from the left side, but this is bollocks because I sit about 8 seats away from them and I can hear them clearly.

We're practically neighbours then! What row and block are you?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If it wasn't so sad it would be hilarious! The Commander demanding an explanation from Mr & Mrs NSK and their associates about why they aren't singing "properly".

It didn't help that they moved under the control box but that was their choice. They do at least do -something- to try to improve the atmosphere.....the West Stand appears to have been part of the Amex library development this season. Sshhhhh.

Unless you have been in the North you have no idea how difficult it is to try to co-ordinate songs between the left and right sides - particularly when, like me, your seat is somewhere in the middle!

The way to improve the vocal support in the North would be to make the two blocks behind the north goal "safe standing". Then you can betcha that those of us who want to sing would gather in that area and I can guarantee an improvement in both volume and co-ordination of songs. But as we know, that nice Mr Barber dismissed the notion of safe-standing and, as I understand it, would not give it any consideration.

Rather than moan and grizzle at those of us who DO sing and try to raise the team and create an atmosphere, why not get the singing/chanting going in your area of the ground? There's no law that says that only the North are allowed to sing. And if we aren't singing to your satisfaction, then move to the North and show us how it's done!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If it wasn't so sad it would be hilarious! The Commander demanding an explanation from Mr & Mrs NSK and their associates about why they aren't singing "properly".

It didn't help that they moved under the control box but that was their choice. They do at least do -something- to try to improve the atmosphere.....the West Stand appears to have been part of the Amex library development this season. Sshhhhh.

Unless you have been in the North you have no idea how difficult it is to try to co-ordinate songs between the left and right sides - particularly when, like me, your seat is somewhere in the middle!

The way to improve the vocal support in the North would be to make the two blocks behind the north goal "safe standing". Then you can betcha that those of us who want to sing would gather in that area and I can guarantee an improvement in both volume and co-ordination of songs. But as we know, that nice Mr Barber dismissed the notion of safe-standing and, as I understand it, would not give it any consideration.

Rather than moan and grizzle at those of us who DO sing and try to raise the team and create an atmosphere, why not get the singing/chanting going in your area of the ground? There's no law that says that only the North are allowed to sing. And if we aren't singing to your satisfaction, then move to the North and show us how it's done!

What a load of rubbish. It's a stand with only 2500 people in it, and you say people have no idea how difficult it is to co-ordinate songs between the sides? 25,000 Scousers seem to manage it, are they of a higher intelligence than Brighton fans then? 2500 people singing together should be easy, it must be one of the smallest stands in the Championship. But then I guess we're already on to a loser when people still can't sing the words to our club anthem in time, or even clap in unison to it.

This 'don't moan at people trying to create an atmosphere, create one yourself' answer would be valid if the complaint was that people didn't like the songs that we're being sung, but it isn't. It's that there is a group of people in the North who seem to want to compete AGAINST the rest of the stand, and DILUTE the atmosphere, rather than making it better. How is that so hard to understand?

I'll say it again: to the people who are in this group, why do you want to compete against the rest of the stand, and wouldn't it be better if the whole stand sung together?

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
Hmm, surely if the other 20 odd thousand home fans were making noise to encourage that equaliser you wouldn't hear 150 people singing go left go right

Your right Gazwag but most songs are started in the North and then filter round. Sitting in the east the only songs we ever sing are 'albion' and 'seagulls', crap songs I know but these are our main songs to get the whole stadium singing and they don't get sung enough, and this thread has highlighted why i.e. the North aren't in unison so how is the rest supposed to join in. Go left, go right belongs in the past, christ I used to sing that on PGL holidays with school, shocking song.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Wow, how to spectacularly miss a point 26 posts into a thread...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Is safe standing allowed in this country? Didn't think it was (yet).

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
They do at least do -something- to try to improve the atmosphere.....the West Stand appears to have been part of the Amex library development this season. Sshhhhh.

I can't disagree....and I'm in the West.
Not sure what has happened to the West Upper.
There is the guaranteed 'We hate Palace' from one individual and a less than half-hearted attempt at 'Albiiioon' on an irregular basis. The west doesn't even get a mention these days when the north and south have their own little sing song.
It's a big shame because when the West Upper gets going like it did in the first season and the majority of the second at the Amex it's a beautiful sound.
This season the stadium is disjointed and somewhat soulless and it needs the west to find it's voice again.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It never fails to amaze me why fans complain about other fans when they're trying to do something about the atmosphere. Sing if you want, start a song of your own if you want, but stop moaning.

This isn't about trying to do something with the atmosphere, it's about a set of fans who seem to be refusing to join in with others in singing and then taking their turn when it quietens down. If we can resolve this issue, I am sure the issue regarding an atmosphere will be solved.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This isn't about trying to do something with the atmosphere, it's about a set of fans who seem to be refusing to join in with others in singing and then taking their turn when it quietens down. If we can resolve this issue, I am sure the issue regarding an atmosphere will be solved.

I look forward to your suggestions as to how 'we' will resolve this issue.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I look forward to your suggestions as to how 'we' will resolve this issue.

Well a discussion on here is a good starting point, but we're yet to hear from any of them to help us understand their thinking behind it.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Well a discussion on here is a good starting point, but we're yet to hear from any of them to help us understand their thinking behind it.

Sometimes I feel I'm back at school - maybe the schoolchildren will reply to the headmaster on this subject when they've finished playing conkers in the playground

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If you're really THAT interested Commander, I could give you a couple of names who lead the singing under the box and you could PM them. Because they're friends and stood behind me before moving mid last season so could be with Judge and a lot of other like minded fans who like to sing continuously, launched NSK etc. I stayed put because I didn't want to be under the box looking from the corner and also because by then we'd also made friends with neighbouring fans who are, like me, like to sing 75% of the match rather than 100% - as these boys do! And they really don't let up for a second. Perhaps that's the issue, because I really couldn't hear other songs starting from other areas of the ground especially well including those over to the left in the North. When you're at the very back it IS difficult to hear what's starting elsewhere. And it did seem, in the first 2 seasons at the AMEX that A LOT, to their credit, of the songs that caught on (including new ones) in the north started with this group anyway. Being under the box has backfired in so far as it muffles their songs.

The only problem with me giving you there names is...they wouldn't give a flying f*** what you think! So there's probably no point. Besides, you seem to want to believe what you want to believe i.e. that they're determined to do their own thing and this spoils your afternoon a bit. In this respect, you do come across as a bit strange as does anyone else who wants to 'control' stadium atmosphere. Just live and let live. It doesn't matter who starts singing and when. They're singing and contributing to an atmosphere. Ow, and for the record, when you're down near the south stand you can't hear ANYONE in the north anyway!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The only problem with me giving you there names is...they wouldn't give a flying f*** what you think! So there's probably no point. Besides, you seem to want to believe what you want to believe i.e. that they're determined to do their own thing and this spoils your afternoon a bit. In this respect, you do come across as a bit strange as does anyone else who wants to 'control' stadium atmosphere. Just live and let live. It doesn't matter who starts singing and when. They're singing and contributing to an atmosphere. Ow, and for the record, when you're down near the south stand you can't hear ANYONE in the north anyway!

And there in lies the problem.

On the one had they want to portray themselves as the fan group that starts the singing and comes up with chants, yet on the other hand they could not care what the other 27,995 fans in the stadium might want to sing.

With regards to the group in question, do not have an issue with them trying to start an atmosphere, but as I said to you in 2011, when a similar thread and response appeared, maybe try not to be so left field in their chants and come up with simple but loud ones, which are the most effective to get 1000's of people joining in.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
QUOTE=T soprano;6007113]Sometimes I feel I'm back at school - maybe the schoolchildren will reply to the headmaster on this subject when they've finished playing conkers in the playground[/QUOTE]

Let's hope they do.

If you're really THAT interested Commander, I could give you a couple of names who lead the singing under the box and you could PM them. Because they're friends and stood behind me before moving mid last season so could be with Judge and a lot of other like minded fans who like to sing continuously, launched NSK etc. I stayed put because I didn't want to be under the box looking from the corner and also because by then we'd also made friends with neighbouring fans who are, like me, like to sing 75% of the match rather than 100% - as these boys do! And they really don't let up for a second. Perhaps that's the issue, because I really couldn't hear other songs starting from other areas of the ground especially well including those over to the left in the North. When you're at the very back it IS difficult to hear what's starting elsewhere. And it did seem, in the first 2 seasons at the AMEX that A LOT, to their credit, of the songs that caught on (including new ones) in the north started with this group anyway. Being under the box has backfired in so far as it muffles their songs.

I'm only (half) joking in demanding an explanation. But, it is a valid point, and the atmosphere could be so much better. That's why it's so frustrating, because we have a group of people who are great at creating an atmosphere and making a noise, but the way they're currently going about it is ruining, or at least diluting the atmosphere.

I'd like to think that they would give a flying f***, because surely they would rather the whole stand sung together? It's not about believing what I want to believe, it's about facts. When the left start a song and it catches on and drifts over to the right, more often than not this group start up their own different song. How is that contributing to the atmosphere? I just want to know why they want to compete with the rest of the stand.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I can't disagree....and I'm in the West.
Not sure what has happened to the West Upper.
There is the guaranteed 'We hate Palace' from one individual and a less than half-hearted attempt at 'Albiiioon' on an irregular basis. The west doesn't even get a mention these days when the north and south have their own little sing song.
It's a big shame because when the West Upper gets going like it did in the first season and the majority of the second at the Amex it's a beautiful sound.
This season the stadium is disjointed and somewhat soulless and it needs the west to find it's voice again.

Well, Tomasz Kuszczak (Hey, Big Boy, What's Your Name?) seems to have his own song that is exclusive to C Block of the WSU which gets sung with some vigour several times a match, alongside all the others... we're not quite a library you know!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here